Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Should I Tell My Boss

I am scheduled to get banded on Dec 5th. I will be using a few personal days at work. I am not telling anyone about the surgery besides my fiance. I am trying to think of a lie to tell my boss and co-workers. Something medically needed..Some other procedure....Any suggestions???

Tell them it is the fist step in your gender re-assignment surgery.

Why lie? But if you are, make it WHOPPER!

Most of the people I know just said they are having a procedure. It doesn't seem like people question that too much. And if they do. Hernia is a good answer.

Hernia surgery sounds like a good one..Im going to have to do a little research on it to get my lie together.:-) I would just say "procedure" but the people i wrk with are quite nosey. And im sure they will ask many questions when i get back to work.

I said I was having "surgery" thinking nobody would dare ask what kind of surgery.......BUT every single person did ask LOL. I said hernia and it was very believable and has worked so far.

I said I was having "surgery" thinking nobody would dare ask what kind of surgery.......BUT every single person did ask LOL. I said hernia and it was very believable and has worked so far.

My point exactly!!! I know everyone will ask not just because they are nosey but some ppl out of true concern. So i think i will definately go with hernia...But my question is what is hernia surgery??and why would a person need it?

Personal days are.....PERSONAL. I would just say you're having surgery. If there is prodding (which is illegal) then you can say you have been waiting to address a health issue and the surgeon wants to do it December 5th. Or some such. You don't owe your employers a detailed explanation.
A lie could really catch you up later if you change your mind and decide to tell some one.

I was very concerned about privacy. Let me change that to I am still very concerned about privacy. Wanted to be under the radar as much as possible but of course people get wind that something is going on. It turned out I had a hiatal hernia which was repaired at the same time. So we went with that for the few people that needed to be told something. My mother has inquired a little too deeply about whether I had a strangulated hernia, when I knew I had to go in, whether it was an emergency, etc. I just kept deflecting and now at two weeks out it has all blown over.

Good luck -- so happy you have your date! Exciting times.....

My suggestion:

It sounds as though you wish to keep your procedure private. Thats certainly understandable.

So why not just say I'm going to be off on medical leave for a private matter?

Unless your boss is the medical department, they have no need to know the type of procedure you are having done.

IMO, you should not falsify any info, ( it could be used against you at a later date ) and you should request the leave be covered under FMLA if it applies to your employer.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery :)

My suggestion:

It sounds as though you wish to keep your procedure private. Thats certainly understandable.

So why not just say I'm going to be off on medical leave for a private matter?

Unless your boss is the HR department, they have no need to know the type of procedure you are having done.

IMO, you should not falsify any info, ( it could be used against you at a later date ) and you should request the leave be covered under FMLA if it applies to your employer.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery :)

If im not fully recovered and able to return to wrk after a few days i will probably look into FMLA. I have already looked into short term disability just in case. And it is private but if all of a sudden i turn into this secretive person my co workers will know something is up.

Congratulations! When I had my surgery I did have a hernia and my stomach was in the wrong place. I have told a few people that part but most people don't know about the band.

No one ever asked if I had WLS but I have been asked how much I have lost and refused to answer. The look on person's face, priceless. That person also made a comment at a holiday dinner because my plate wasn't over flowing.

I know how you feel! It is almost impossible to keep a secret where I work. Especially because I work in a hopsital so everyone is all up in your health/medical business. I thought about telling people I was having my bladder tacked up. Sounds funny, huh? I'm probably also going to have to eat somewhere else than our breakroom because everyone is always scoping out what everyone else is eating and there always has to be a discussion about it. For the two weeks I'm on a liquid diet, I'm just not going to go in there at all. I'm usually very open about myself, so it feels weird to keep it a secret, but I just don't want to be hassled and scrutinized all the time.

I just said I was having a medical procedure and that I wanted to keep it private.

With all of the privacy laws out there my doctors office told me they werent allowed to ask or require you to tell them what you were having done!!

Good luck with it!

Personally I decided to tell my direct supervisor, but no one else at work. My supervisor and I have a good working relationship, so I was fairly confident that she would keep it confidential...besides the fact that it's a major HIPPA violation if she were to tell anyone.

I chose to tell her because I knew I would have monthly appointments and I know she would eventually ask questions as to why I was constantly at the doctor.

As to all my other co-workers...I told them it was a personal matter.

And to my friends who I didn't want to tell, I told them it was a hernia surgery :-)