Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mental Health Evaluation?

Hi everyone! This is my first post on the site although ive been on here reading through your stories for weeks now! I have just started my journey to get the sleeve and im really excited but so nervous something will get in my way. Ive been obese my entire life and ive tried just about everything twice...in the past my insurance companies would not cover weight loss surgery and im so happy that my current insurance does. Ive attended a seminar amd met with my surgeon and my next step is a 3 hour mental health evaluation. Ive struggled qith anxiety and depression that ive always believed was directly tied to my weight...what can you guys tell me about this process? What sort of questions will I be asked and how should I prepare? Has anyone had the experience of being denied by the mental health evaluation? Id appreciate any info you can give me! Thanks!

The psychologist who did my eval told me that they expect most of the people who want to have this surgery have had some degree of emotional struggles related to weight. They're not looking for a total absence of depression or anxiety history, but rather that the depression or anxiety is not so crippling that we wouldn't be able to cope with the adjustments we must make postop. Also, they want to see that we have realistic expectations about our postop lives & that we don't think surgery is a magic bullet that will fix every problem we have. They also want to see that we have some support around us (and if we don't have it in person, that we have sought it out via support groups or online). Good luck to you!

Most of the questions in my psych eval were related to my eating, exercise, and health habits in efforts to evaluate whether I was ready to make the necessarily life changes. There were also questions about mental health, depression, substance dependency, support system, etc. There were a ton of questions, but just try to be as honest as possible. Worst case scenario is they will say work on these couple of things and come back in a month......

What confuses me is that I got to where I am by having an unhealthy relationship with food. If he is going to question me on that, I cant answer that ive somehow got it all figured out yet. Are they expecting me to have all my issues with food resolved before I get the only tool thats going to help me resolve them? Im good with my support system and my expectations of the surgery...I understand how extensively my life is going to change and what will be expected of me...but I cant for the life of me figure out how to explain that ive changed my relationship with food when the surgery is my solution to do that. Does that make sense?

That's a great question, katt, and I would say no, they will not expect you to have figured out all the answers. I think they're looking more for you to have accepted that you need to make changes, you've given some serious thought to what those changes are & how you are going to approach them, you have identified some areas where you might be particularly challenged, and you've created some support around you. Gaining awareness is a big part of solving a problem, so if you go in & show that you understand that you don't yet have it all figured out & that you will need to keep working on it postop, then I think that shows a very realistic and grounded perspective.

All the responses are very good. I would just add that the pysch eval also makes sure people are of sound mind. You know, able to make proper decisions. Having a diagnosis of a mental illness does not count you out. The eval could be many things as each doctor is different. Some just talk, some have tests or forms to fill out. You can't fail. If the doctor thinks you aren't ready emotionally then continued therapy might be needed. If that is the case then it is for your best. No matter how prepared you think you are mentally and emotionally you aren't. It's a process and it can be tough.

As long as you can answer honestly, even that you understand that this is a tool, you'll do fine. No one will expect you to have it all figured out, but do you have a good support system in place to help you over the hurdles you'll encounter? Do you have a good relationship with your NUT? Who will help you resolve your issues with food? (head vs. body hunger) And my most important word of advice, don't EVER brag about the bikini you're planning on buying after surgery! :P I doubt the counselor will approve you in that event.

I got approved (in mexico) with a hx of bpd and gad. I take lithium, lamictal, and seroquel. If obesity is my main trigger, then vsg sould help. I like to think of it as my issues are being dealt with while lots of peoples aren't

Thank you everyone for the advice. I had my appointment and it went alright. The psychologist cleared me for surgery...he only recommended that I reestablished with a therapist as I admited it was helpful for me in the past...next step is the nutritionist!