Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Damage Have I Done?

Today is day 10 post-op for me. I am having such a frustrating tearful time. Besides the gas with every sip of anything, I am having such a difficult time tolerating and getting down the Protein Drinks. Since I have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners I have been using shake brands with stevia. After my surgery I have been struggling with getting them down and averaging 20 grams of Protein and about 250 calories daily. This morning I had an powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup that my dietician gave me. I ordered the unflavored Unjury a couple days ago and can hardly wait for delivery.
So to make a long story not too long let me cut to the chase...I went to GNC looking for unflavored Isopure Protein powder. They didn't have any. Then I went to Walmart and nothing. I caved and went to the dairy section and grabbed low fat ricotta, low fat cottage cheese and Chobani's Plain Greek Yogurt. When I got home I made a shake with skim milk, greek yogurt, ricotta and half a teaspoon of sugar. This of course is not on the plan my doctor has me on. I am suppose to have 6 more days of Protein shakes before I start with a pureed diet. Can anyone tell me the damage I am doing to my sleeve? Thanks so much for your help all.

Every doctors plan is different. When I come home I will be on full liquids which includes the yogurt and milk but not the ricotta.

Are you on full liquids or only the Protein Shakes?

When is your surgery? How are things going with your preparations?

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think you've done any damage to your sleeve. I think you would be able to tell. I would try and go back to your doctors recommendation, but don't worry yourself about what you ate...I've seen lots of posts from people that were on puréeds after day 3!

Hmm...maybe I would be better off having yogurt rather than shakes. At least then I would be starving myself. I am not hungry at all but the minimal calories makes me nervous. Thanks for the help and words of encouragement, Slurpee_girl. Hugs.

I'm 11 days out myself and feel your pain when it comes to the Protein drink. I tolerated, even enjoyed, the unjury Protein powders during my three weeks preop diet. Today, the smell of these products makes me nauseated. I can't explain it. I'm doing milk only until I sit down with my nutritionist this week. Like you, I ordered the Unjury non flavored and am really hoping that does the trick

I can't imagine you've done damage. Just know you're not alone. This is touch stretch right now, and it is no doubt a period of trying to figure out how we're going to get that protein onboard.

I'm not sure about the artificial sweetener but the only Protein I can handle is the Premier Protein shakes chocolate. I hope you find something that works for you.

Sorry to hear of your distress. Have you heard about Bariatric Advantage Protein shakes? You can find them on the internet. My surgeon recommended this product to me. I have also used the GNC stores brand of Protein Shakes. Hang in there. You will figure out what works for you.

Thank you everyone.

Sucralose is in all the GNC shakes that I am aware of. I have been using Tera's and Jay Rob (which I just noticed tonight is in GNC). These are sweetened with stevia. I had no problem with those pre-op.

VSGNeophyte, hope you find a solution too. You must of had your surgery on the 6th. All the best!

I also had a hard time swallowing liquids and tolerating Protein shakes at that stage. I am now 26 days out and very glad for it! I went on purees at 9 days and soft foods at 16 days so I don't think you did any damage to your sleeve. But hang in there! Everyday it gets a little better :)

You made a very conscious decision to buy and then prepare the foods you did. If you are looking for permission to go off your eating plan, you won't get it from me, sorry. There is a reason why you are required to follow a strict diet plan week by week. Have you heard of leaks? If you can't tough out two weeks of liquid Proteins how will you ever manage the rest of your life with the sleeve? I wish you the best.

I understand having trouble with the Protein, however, I would try as much as possible to stick to your surgeon's recommendations. I really struggled with the Protein drinks making me nauseous after surgery, but finally found a fix between Protein Jello, protein pudding and the only shake I could ever stand, Premier Protein. I'm now 8 weeks out and still have a premier Protein Shake for Breakfast, even though I don't have to at this point. Hang in there, try different things (within the confines of your surgeon's recommendations) and if you really can't find anything you can tolerate, call his office and get some recommendations.

Syntrax makes unflavored powdered Protein (medical). Won't help with the calories, but will help you get the protein in & you can find it on Amazon. I would also contact your nutritionist. Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much for all your help everyone. I will be meeting with my doctor and nutritionist tomorrow. I am feeling weak and exhausted today. Soo discouraged. So discouraged. Amazon13, you have expressed exactly my concern. How am I going to be able to do this. Will the gas lessen as the weeks pass? I made the mistake of trying Muscle Milk (artificial sweetener) and it made me sick after two sips. I can't say how discouraged I am. I have had my Vitamins, B12 and 8oz of skim milk so far. Now getting down the Water.