Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are You Sure Most Of Your Stomach Is Gone?

I'm about 5 weeks out and on soft solids. The past few days I have had insatiable cravings for all the wrong foods. I had sushi on yesterday and I was able to eat 8 pieces in one sitting (eaten over 1 hour). I ate a coconut macaroon an hour later. I feel like I could eat anything. I'm so disappointed in myself for eating that cookie and I'm surprised I was able to eat that many pieces of sushi. On the pureed and full liquid stages I would feel discomfort if I ate too much. I am just going back to liquid for the next day or two. The thing that concerns me most is I was able to eat these things without the slightest discomfort or gastric distress. I had rice and sugar and nothing... no gas no pain no belly ache. I feel like I was taking some type of chance or risk but the consequences I subconsciously sought were not realized. Has anyone else found themselves surprised but how much they were able to eat once they started eating again? I guess yesterday showed me just how much I have to stay diligent to reach my goal.

You didn't feel restriction because rice and Cookies are slider foods. A slider is a food that you can eat and it slides on through the sleeve and you don't get that full feeling that dense Protein gives you. Many simple carbs are slider foods and that's partly why we need to avoid them. Unfortunately for most of us slider foods do go down easy. Next time get just the fish and then have one piece of sushi. Yes, we have to be diligent. Chalk this up as a learning experience.

You will undoubtedly have many similar experiences like this one as you experiment with foods or give into cravings. I have learned that I absolutely can NOT have Ritz crackers - I will eat the entire tube thingie and never fill up! This is why dense Protein is the bomb - and the way to weight loss - it fills you up and only takes a couple of ounces. I've had the same experience with kettle chips - love the salt and the crunch, but I never get full and then I crave more. These items go in the "never again" category for at least a year (if not forever) while I maximize my weight loss after surgery. Stay diligent!

without the slightest discomfort or gastric distress. - taking some type of chance or risk

Sleevie

85% of the tummy is cut out during WLS

there is an expression "here"

just because you can, doesn't mean you should :angry:

don't "test" your sleeve to see what and how much you can eat!!!!

as OP said, if you are unwittingly eating something equivalent to a slider, you won't feel any restriction

again, don't push/or test what or how much you can eat

people have been shot for less :lol:

especially at only 5 weeks (and reallly many, many more months and maybe always) you should measure the proper amount to eat

that way you won't eat more - no testing ok???

as you wisely said, you must stay diligent!!!!

good luck

kathy

I had the same thing with potato chips! I ate half a bag without even thinking, and want full.

just another life lesson :)

Keep in mind also your tummy is still healing and a little numb, this is why its important not to eat more than your doctor and NUT recommend at this point...follow your plan and test your new sleeve later on down the road

My dietician also had a rule of 20 mins to eat your Protein and you stopped eating at that point. The reason being is if you eat slowly for an hour, your stomach is emptying as you keep filling it and you will bypass the full feeling- and eat more.

What Indigo above said is right...you are grazing and when we graze we can eat much more. I was told the same thing. Each meal should take no more than 20 minutes to eat. Believe me, you would have felt major restriction if you tried to eat 8 pieces of sushi within 20 minutes. And, yes, there are many slider foods. Pretty much anything that becomes mush in your mouth before you swallow is a slider food. I can also eat a ton of chips, Cookies, crackers, ice cream, lasagna, other pastas, etc. without filling up as much. I still eat less than I could have in the past but it doesn't give me as much restriction as denser foods such as Protein. For that reason, I avoid slider foods.