Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Soon Did They Make You Walk In The Hospital?

I was up and walking later that same day. My surgery was at 7 in the morning and I was walki g by 8 pm. My doctor used a catheter as well but luckily I was unconscious when they put it in. Good luck to you!

I was up and walking right after they moved me from recovery. My surgery was at 8:00 am - lasted until about 8:50. I was out of the hospital at 11:45 am that same morning (my doc does his procedure as outpatient).

I walked immediately upon being moved from recovery and they moved me to a chair rather than keeping me in bed. The chair was rather uncomfortable and it was better to walk.

I was up and walking about 6 hours after I went in for surgery. Then I was up using the bathroom every 3-4 hours and walking the halls. No gas pains at all. The cath was inserted and removed while I was still out. Surgery was 11/13 and I'm doing well. Finally had to use milk of magnesia to help with Constipation. It worked well with no cramping.

My surgeon doesn't use catheters for VSG surgery, which I was so happy about. I have never had one and so I was relieved when they confirmed that they don't use them. I have heard what others are mentioning, that they put it in after you're knocked out and many times remove it before you wake up.

I didn't have a cath but I had a drain hose. There was a lot of pain until after the drain came out one day after surgery. Once the drain was out, I was up and walking.

Thankfully, I've already confirmed that my surgeon doesn't use drains. Phew! I'll ask him about the catheter...hopefully it's NO or it's in and out while I'm knocked out.

Thank you, everyone, for all the answers. I love having these forums to ask questions...you're all really saving my sanity. Or what's left of it. :-)

I did not have a catheter. I was up walking within 2 hours of getting to my room. Walking actually feels really good after. Relieves pressure, gives you something else to.focus on other than sipping every 15 minutes.

I was up and walking as soon as I woke up. I wanted to start my vacation and I didn't want to waste it lying around. I had a drain, but that's a precaution I'm glad my surgeon requires. It monitors the bleeding and also is used for the 2nd leak test which I'm also over grateful for. I don't feel a surgeon can't ever be over cautious

I guess I am the in the minority here but I didn't get up and walk for a full day after my surgery. I went in for surgery at 4pm. I had a hard time kicking the effects of the anesthesia so I pretty much just slept that whole night after I got to my room. The next day, I was still very sluggish and had a hard time staying awake. I tried to walk a few times that day but I tired very quickly and just felt like I needed to sleep. At that point, I was thinking "WTH did I do to myself". But the following day, I woke up and felt almost normal. I began walking soon after that and didn't stop until I was discharged. They actually kept me an extra day because I had a hard time in the beginning. I had anesthesia for prior surgeries and never had a reaction like that. It took me by surprise.

I also had a catheter and I was glad since I had such troubles getting around. They took it out the day after surgery.

I was sleeved at 8:00 am on 11/14/13. When I came out of recovery at about 10:30, they had me walking right away. Then they took my bed and replaced it with a chair. The chair wasn't comfortable, so I kept walking. I left the hospital at 11:45 that same day. (My doc performs the surgery on outpatient)

I did go back to the condo and slept for a couple of hours, but then started walking every hour.

I was out of recovery by about 2 pm and walking by 6 or 7 that night. I wanted to get up and move and it did help with the gas pains. I was able to walk and get out of bed by myself without too many problems. I didn't have a cath so I was having to get up to go pee frequently but it wasn't too bad. They were more worried about the pain meds making me loopy but I was used to taking Vicoden all the time that it was nothing to be that doped up and be walking around.

Not going to lie, the catheter is a slight concern. I found I will have one put in after I am out but not sure when it comes out.

My surgery is Dec 26th and this had been great information on subject I was wondering about! Thanks to all of you!

I am going for VS soon as my lap band has eroded. I threw up a lot after my lap band. Will it be same for sleeve??

I'm a little late to the party, but this was my experience: I walked while in recovery...this was my choice, I asked if I could.

The first two rounds I was flanked by two nurses because my eyesight was blurry from surgery, I wasn't steady, and I walked slowly.......the third round I was on my own with my hubby by my side for company and "just in case".

By the time I was in my room later that day, I tried to walk every hour.....I don't think they expect you to walk a huge amount immediately -- and I got the impression the decision when to walk was decided on an individual basis.

between being afraid of the gas pain I heard people talk about, and having the roommate from hell, walking was good LOL (I didn't experience the gas pain until around day 4, and it was just a little bit of soreness in my shoulder/arm)

Good luck!

My hospitals policy is no catheters for surgeries under 4 hours, so I was pretty happy about that. I was the last surgery of the day and was moved from recovery to my room just after 7 pm. My period was due, so as soon as I felt awake enough, around 8:30, I asked the nurse to help me out of bed to the bathroom. I had a ton of gas pain, so I decided as long as I'm up I'm going to walk. My nurse was totally impressed and said I was the first patient of the day to walk. It really helped with the gas, though. I ended up walking several laps about every 2-3 hours through the night.