Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Welcome Switchers Past, Present And Future!

In the beginning, I was so pleased to have chosen to have the VSG, Gastric sleeve, without " Duodenal Switch (DS)."

I was convinced that if I followed every rule religiously, did all the other health things I was supposed to, it would work, and I was ready to work it, for three years. ! I was wrong. Although I lost 140# I am still at a 37-ish BMI. No matter what calories, exercise, etc. I subjected myself to, no luck!

My Dr recommended that I was a candidate for Duodenal Switch I am already proceeding to be resleeved and complete the 2nd part, Duodenal Switch.

As more and more Sleevers (and Bypassers) fail, the emergence of the DS is assured….IMHO when one actually studies the facts rather than listen to rumor and wive's tales, it's a no-brainer for LT success! rdc

post-153367-0-13773100-1384661935_thumb.jpg

Before After Afterer

Good luck in the next step of your journey. Keep us posted.

Hello all! I have scheduled my DS surgery for a couple of months from now. Kinda scared, but mostly excited and resolute in my resolve to be successful. I weighed in at 412 lbs recently, and that was when I realized I had to make this decision if I planned to remain on this planet for much longer. I'm 52 yrs old and have clearly failed in all previous efforts to address my super obesity problem though conventional means. Now it's time to embrace a more effective solution. I think it's nice to have a place to come to learn from others who have had, or are going to have, the same procedure as me/us. Best of luck to all here who are brave enough to choose the path of action over helpless inaction in our war against morbid obesity. I wish you all great success and happiness.

I am considering having this procedure as well. I had the VSG done in 12/4/2012 and have not reached my goal yet. I have done everything that I was suppose to and still considered obesed. I am 5'3 and still weigh 190 lbs . I also have a lot of hormone issues which does not help in losing weight. Trying to figure out how to get the insurance company to pay for this surgery. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

I am considering having this procedure as well. I had the VSG done in 12/4/2012 and have not reached my goal yet. I have done everything that I was suppose to and still considered obesed. I am 5'3 and still weigh 190 lbs . I also have a lot of hormone issues which does not help in losing weight. Trying to figure out how to get the insurance company to pay for this surgery. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you still have any co-morbidities?

I think Postop is asking the correct question Leann. Insurance companies have as their goal, as do all corporations, how to maximize their profits. If they can reject your request...of course they will. I'm guessing you have already resolved most, if not all, of your existing co-morbidities (hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea,etc.) as a result of your excellent efforts resulting in losing 72 lbs. Grats for that by the way! And please do remind yourself that you have worked damn hard and accomplished a great deal by doing that. Don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself with others and feeling badly about your results, although I understand your desire to reach your goal. I think you may need to go out of pocket to have another procedure- like converting to a duodenal switch. But I encourage you to speak to your insurance company to confirm that. If you do have to self pay, remember that MANY options are available to you. Most Dr.'s allow for financing procedures, and cheaper alternatives such as going to Mexico (such as I'm planning to do) exist. Stay positive lady! Best of luck in your future decisions. :)

Yes I still have sleep apnea and high cholesterol. Hopefully in the next few days I can get a hold of the insurance company and see what can be done.

I think Postop is asking the correct question Leann. Insurance companies have as their goal, as do all corporations, how to maximize their profits. If they can reject your request...of course they will. I'm guessing you have already resolved most, if not all, of your existing co-morbidities (hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea,etc.) as a result of your excellent efforts resulting in losing 72 lbs. Grats for that by the way! And please do remind yourself that you have worked damn hard and accomplished a great deal by doing that. Don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself with others and feeling badly about your results, although I understand your desire to reach your goal. I think you may need to go out of pocket to have another procedure- like converting to a duodenal switch. But I encourage you to speak to your insurance company to confirm that. If you do have to self pay, remember that MANY options are available to you. Most Dr.'s allow for financing procedures, and cheaper alternatives such as going to Mexico (such as I'm planning to do) exist. Stay positive lady! Best of luck in your future decisions. :)

Thank for the info, it gives me something to consider. I hope the outcome with getting them to pay for it will be a success.

Yes I still have sleep apnea and high cholesterol. Hopefully in the next few days I can get a hold of the insurance company and see what can be done.

I'd never wish them on you, but in this case they may actually help you out. They're impt. for the ins. co. to see and realize you're still having these issues that can and will cost them down the road if they don't pay for your DS.

Edited by Postop

Postop

Thanks for the info. I wish they were gone but they aren't. I will be looking in to this in a couple of months. My deductible went really high this year so I have to save some money just incase they say yes.

Sounds like good planning. I hope they come through for you. :)

Hi everyone. My DS was March 31st, so as of today I am 7 days post op. I decided to have the surgery after the death of my aunt last year. I want to be healthy and to be around for my children. Other members of my family have had the gastric bypass, and both had regained weight. I researched my options before I made a final decision and the DS was best for me.

Before I made a final decision, after meeting the nutritionist I changed my diet completely to make sure that I can stick with it and I could, I was eating healthier pre op and lost 20 before surgery.

The first week post op diet is a little difficult but once you get use to it, its not so bad. I find that keeping a journal of your intake is very helpful in making sure you are getting what you need. I am looking forward to seeing what the weeks, and months post op will bring.

Good luck to you all :)

Sounds like a good plan. I kept a diary for the first 6 mos. till I knew how much Protein was in what, etc. It worked well for me. Later on you keep it in your head. It becomes 2nd nature.

Keep up the good work.

I am a lapband semi-fail- I weighed 398 at my heaviest and stood my ground for 4 years at 320... In Feb 2014 I had DS done, Weight in as 311 (after 2 week liquid diet) and as of today 243. I'm struggling with eating and then the acid reflux from not eating, but mostly I'm satisfied with my loss and have changed my eating habits (mostly). I still try things I like only to find I throw them right up, i.e. candy, and meat, but keep fish and veggies down perfectly.

wish i had a "now" pic