Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water Consumption

I had my VSG Oct. 24th, 2013.

I'm a few days past three week mark.

I'm struggling to get my Water ounces (64).

I accidentally drink too fast, as well, and I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem?

My questions are:

1. What can I do to slow down on drinking?

2. What can I do to get my ounces in?

3. Is it normal to not get them everyday?

these are great questions, and i am wondering all the same things! i was sleeved on 11/4/13 and i am in the full liquids stage, finding it difficult to get everything in

I was sleeved 9-23 and I still can't get in all my Water. I'm back at work and I can't drink while I do the main part of my work (testing kids). I don't WANT to drink a ton of water after I get home because I have trouble sleeping as it is and I don't want to be up several times at night peeing.

I had surgery 10/30 I have had a hard time getting my Water in only because no matter how I tried it, it hurt. My hubby went aye bought me almost every brand on the shelf and I discovered Smart Water does not hurt so I am now able to get 6 to 8 glasses in.

If your drinking to fast try a toddler sippy cup.

Also broth counts toward your water so maybe add a cup of that a day.

As long as you dont feel dehydrated and getting some water in and your shakes you should be fine as you work on this

I had surgery 8/2 it took me a month before I could get my Water in. As long as everyday you get a little more in you will be fine

I was wondering bout the Water thing. I am 1 week out on full liquid and I can hardly drink water it hurts and WILL NOT go down easy. I LOVE water so i hate this. I don't have a problem at all with my Protein. I can chew ice without it bothering me and drink broth ok. I'm just trying to stay hydrated and hope I'm getting enough in. Good luck everyone.

I was wondering bout the Water thing. I am 1 week out on full liquid and I can hardly drink water it hurts and WILL NOT go down easy. I LOVE water so i hate this. I don't have a problem at all with my Protein. I can chew ice without it bothering me and drink broth ok. I'm just trying to stay hydrated and hope I'm getting enough in. Good luck everyone.

I'm one week post too and have found that adding mio to my water is a lot more tolerable and doesn't give me the chest pain or nauseas feeling regular water does.

Sleeved 11/14..so I'm very new

I switched to Vitamin Water Zero today after telling the doctor that plain Water takes icky. It's much easier to go down. Crystal Lights feels like it dries my mouth out. He said Gatorade Zero is good, too, but I haven't tried that yet.

I haven't been able to get my water goal or shake goal in yet. Doc says that's normal. Add more when you can. (The doc seems a lot less strict than the NUT!)

Good luck!

I was sleeved 9/11. I still struggle most days with getting in my fluids. I just take it hour by hour. I can take bigger drinks now (actually can take 3-4 chugs), but I just am so full from eating or Im so busy I forget to drink. I loved drinking Water before surgery, and I really hope this will work itself out eventually. Just keep drinking as much as you can and don't let yourself get dehydrated. If you do, own up and tell your dr. From what I hear, getting IV fluids can really help you feel better if you fall behind.

OK, I was Never a Water drinker, but after researching I have become a believer that it is important for health and weight loss. Some hints:

If Water hurts, try different temp water from hot to warm to room temp to cool to cold... you may find one that goes down easier.

In the first month dehydration is an issue that CAN put you back in the hospital... In the first month have water with you all the time and sip water all the time...

Drinking DOES get easier, and after 2 months I could drink normally (swallows, not guzzles)

Peeing at night... Like clockwork I now get up to pee 2 or 3 times a night, but I go right back to sleep, and it's a small "price" to pay for the water...

I'd echo the experimentation with different types of water/drinks. I relied on G-2 Gatorade the first couple of weeks. Now that I'm out of it (need to buy some more) I am finding that regular Water is harder to drink. I liked the G-2 because I felt the likelihood of dehydrating while on it was much smaller.

During this time, drink whatever is low calorie and will help you get to your goal. I also found that icing my drinks helped (although some people find cold drinks painful.)

Good luck!

Omg... while I'm sorry you all are struggling I'm so glad to hear that I'm not alone! I haven't seen clear pee in 5 weeks! I still don't get how we're supposed to not drink for a half hour before during and after eating and still get all that Water in while working walking and sleeping? ??

Art is right about the temp thing, different temperatures can make a big difference. I hate ice Water now, only drink room temp water or tea. Don't give up on your fluids, they are so important. When you pee, if it is dark yellow you are not getting enough fluids. Good luck getting them in.

I know it isn't the right weather for this advice, but in the beginning the only way I could tolerate Water was as crushed ice. I called it water Soup and had it in a bowl with a spoon!

I can eat ice no problem. I added lemonade packet to Water yesterday and took me all day but drank a whole 20oz. I'm gonna keep trying bc i can feel my body needs more its just hard.