Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unique Meal Planning Situation- Please Send Ideas!

I work in education and every two years we take students out of state to Disney World in Florida.

I am scheduled to be sleeved on December 17th. I will be traveling to Florida on February 14th with 150 raving lunatics for 5 days. Oh yeah, and it's a 24 hour drive where McDonalds is usually the stops we make for food.< /p>

We will be in a different park every day (Hollywood Studios, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Downtown Disney, Animal Kingdom).

My surgeon anticipates that I will be pretty much off purees and well into soft foods and perhaps introducing some "regular" foods back into my life.

Breakfasts while on the trip are all at Golden Corral so I know I'll be able to get scrambled eggs in my every day for good and easy Protein.< /p>

I'm taking a letter from my surgeon about the necessity of taking in glass bottles of Isopure so I can get protein in the parks.

I need help determining:

1) What the heck I'm going to eat on a 24 bus ride when our only stops are McDonalds and gas stations. ( I think I could probably pick apart an egg McMuffin and eat the egg). Protein shakes and Water will be on hand. Should I just go pure liquid?

2) What on earth I'm going to eat in the parks. Epcot has a variety of restaurants including a fantastic Japanese joint where I can get sashimi for protein. I'll have shakes and Isopure on hand to keep the protein up and keep me hydrated.

Each day is LONG. The adults are up at 6 and the last to bed around 12 or 1 am so I'm going to need ENERGY to keep up with my kids.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

I live in Florida and we visit Disney often. Over the past few years, Disney has done a really good job of making healthy choices available. There are tons of resturants that have options that will work.

Disney even has a special email and phone number. You can call a cast member and tell which parks you will be in on which days and they will help you find options that will work with you. SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com, or 407-824-5967

Hope this helps

WOW! That's fantastic! Thank you s much!

Even restaurants like McDonalds let you order ala carte. You can order just a scrambled egg or just a side of bacon or just a chicken breast, etc. Each time we go to Disney, we wear in fanny packs with Snacks. You could carry in Protein Bars, sample packets of Protein to mix with Water, etc. As you well know, there are loads of fantastic restaurants where you can get good, healthy meals. The cafeteria near Soarin' is good, and the Mediterranean restaurant in Epcot is yummy. If you're paying out of pocket for meals, I would see about ordering ala carte there also.

Re: the fanny packs -- we packed a suitcase full of various snacks/foods that stayed in our room, then refilled fanny packs daily.

Re: gas stations -- many gas stations have Muscle Milk Protein drinks in the cooler. Several places have Protein options (pre-boiled eggs, cheese sticks, ham slices, etc.), fruit cups, fresh produce, etc. I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

I travel for work a lot, so while I can't help you with Disney, I can tell you what I carry with me and what I end up eating while on the road.

To carry from home:

To buy:

• "Insides of" as in insides of sandwiches, no bread. Insides of fish taco, no tortilla. meat only of snack wraps from mcdonalds for example or their egg mcmuffin with no muffin. Get used to "insides of"
  • greek yogurt with no sugar
  • Hummus and pita chips at airports
  • Cottage cheese from salad bars
  • Wendy's: chili very high Protein and very low calorie plus easy to eat
  • Chick fil-a kids chicken nuggets 4 pack no fries
  • Taco bell: pintos and cheese
  • Starbucks soy latte with Protein powder blended in (they'll make it for you)
  • Airplane: fruit and cheese tray
  • Gas stations: Muscle milk, beef Jerky, nuts, yogurt, cheeses in single serve (string cheese), boiled eggs.

Honestly I've yet to go somewhere where I couldn't find something nutritious to eat. It's a lot easier once you know what to look for.

Enjoy the trip and I hope that helped some.

Guest Sleeved&NotLovinIt

If you didn't mind packing food (plastic containers) and bringing it with you, you could bring tuna, Muscle Milk (won't need refrigeration) and all the other food suggestions that have been shared so far. Man, that was hard typing the word 'tuna'. I'm on post of liquids and am craving tuna. LOL

Thank you all so much!

Disney has really updared their healthy options. You may have to do some searching to find the healthy options, but they are there. I visited this past summer and this was my first visit to a amusement park after my surgery. In Magic Kingdom in Fronteer town beside the river boat there is a stand that has fresh fruit, hummas celery and carrots. There are seaveral that offer good Proteins like grilled chicken lean beef. Take some Protein powder with you. Good luck.