Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping Skin Moisturized?

I'm pre-op but I have read so much about keeping skin moisturized especially after weight loss to keep the elasticity in your skin and help with the skin tightening.

Do you have any good moisturizers you recommend?

I use organic coconut oil. There is a lot of documentation and books about coconut oil that will give you all the reasons why it is so beneficial but the proof to me is in how beautiful my skin has become since I began using it a year ago. My surgery scars are already becoming faint (I put it on them twice a day - surgery was 3 weeks ago)and the scars I had from lap band then the removal of said lap band (in March)are barely visible. My cousin had sleeve surgery 9 months ago and is down almost 100lbs; she has been using the coconut oil also and her skin does seem to be shrinking along with her. Not bad for a 52 year old sun worshipper :)

I use organic coconut oil. There is a lot of documentation and books about coconut oil that will give you all the reasons why it is so beneficial but the proof to me is in how beautiful my skin has become since I began using it a year ago. My surgery scars are already becoming faint (I put it on them twice a day - surgery was 3 weeks ago)and the scars I had from lap band then the removal of said lap band (in March)are barely visible. My cousin had sleeve surgery 9 months ago and is down almost 100lbs; she has been using the coconut oil also and her skin does seem to be shrinking along with her. Not bad for a 52 year old sun worshipper :)

Where do you purchase this?? I'm sure it smells wonderful.

I started using Palmer's last night, recommended for stretch marks. So we'll see. It smells nice at least.

I use coconut oil also. U can find it in the baking aisle at grocery stores. Also sometimes the Vitamin and supplement aisle. Love it!

Hi Kellybelly_rny,

I purchase my coconut oil at costco - they have organic coconut oil in large containers & since I use it for cooking and for my beauty routine it is a much more cost effective to buy it that way. If you've never used it I would recommend Trader Joe's as they have a small jar at a reasonable cost & it is pretty similar to the brand costco sells. If you pintrest at all you can search for my board titled "Nuts About Coconut" :) there are lots of links on it with information about why coconut oil is so good and how it can be used for many things.

I have a question about the coconut oil. Does it not make your skin stay a bit greasy? Does it come off on clothes, etc?

I have a question about the coconut oil. Does it not make your skin stay a bit greasy? Does it come off on clothes, etc?

I generally use it at night. I find that in the summer it makes my skin a little slick for about 15 mins, but in the fall and winter I don't have that problem.

I generally use it at night. I find that in the summer it makes my skin a little slick for about 15 mins, but in the fall and winter I don't have that problem.

Good to know, I will look out for in the stores. Thank you!

Hi gamergirl :)

What I read to do (and how I do use it since then) is to slather the oil on right after I get out of the shower (after towel drying body) then I let it absorb into my skin as I put on deodorant, make-up (I use a very small amount of oil on face in AM - save larger dose for nighttime routine) and any other portion of getting ready leaving getting dressed to last. I have had a few occasions when I was in a hurry and dressed directly after applying the oil - it didn't stain my clothes but I didn't feel as moisturized either so I think the cotton probably absorbed some of the oil. I started out using the coconut oil straight out of the container but found a recipe on Pintrest for making my own body butter with coconut oil for the base a few months back. So now I use a mixture of coconut oil and rose oil that I whip into a creamy butter-like substance with my kitchen mixer. It smells wonderful and the rose oil is good for softening lines and shrinking pores. My facial skin is really super clear - prior to this regimen I had adult acne flare ups and some ruddiness to my complexion.

Hi gamergirl :) What I read to do (and how I do use it since then) is to slather the oil on right after I get out of the shower (after towel drying body) then I let it absorb into my skin as I put on deodorant, make-up (I use a very small amount of oil on face in AM - save larger dose for nighttime routine) and any other portion of getting ready leaving getting dressed to last. I have had a few occasions when I was in a hurry and dressed directly after applying the oil - it didn't stain my clothes but I didn't feel as moisturized either so I think the cotton probably absorbed some of the oil. I started out using the coconut oil straight out of the container but found a recipe on Pintrest for making my own body butter with coconut oil for the base a few months back. So now I use a mixture of coconut oil and rose oil that I whip into a creamy butter-like substance with my kitchen mixer. It smells wonderful and the rose oil is good for softening lines and shrinking pores. My facial skin is really super clear - prior to this regimen I had adult acne flare ups and some ruddiness to my complexion.

Ooh that sounds yummy! Where do you buy the rose oil?

Hi gamergirl :) What I read to do (and how I do use it since then) is to slather the oil on right after I get out of the shower (after towel drying body) then I let it absorb into my skin as I put on deodorant, make-up (I use a very small amount of oil on face in AM - save larger dose for nighttime routine) and any other portion of getting ready leaving getting dressed to last. I have had a few occasions when I was in a hurry and dressed directly after applying the oil - it didn't stain my clothes but I didn't feel as moisturized either so I think the cotton probably absorbed some of the oil. I started out using the coconut oil straight out of the container but found a recipe on Pintrest for making my own body butter with coconut oil for the base a few months back. So now I use a mixture of coconut oil and rose oil that I whip into a creamy butter-like substance with my kitchen mixer. It smells wonderful and the rose oil is good for softening lines and shrinking pores. My facial skin is really super clear - prior to this regimen I had adult acne flare ups and some ruddiness to my complexion.

Ooh that sounds yummy! Where do you buy the rose oil?

At Target of all places! They have a "naturals" section in one of their make up aisle,s like where Burt's Bees products are displayed, and they had a box of six natural oils, one being rose oil, for under $20. I've tried some of the other oils in the package and do like them but the rose is my favorite :)

<sup><span style="font-size:14px;">At Target of all places! They have a "naturals" section in one of their make up aisle,s like where Burt's Bees products are displayed, and they had a box of six natural oils, one being rose oil, for under $20. I've tried some of the other oils in the package and do like them but the rose is my favorite :)</span></sup>

Thank you so much for this idea! We just made it with a little leftover green tea and cucumber essential oil and it is soooo good!

I tried the plain coconut oil the other day. Best. Moisturizer. EVER!! But the little lumps in it make it hard to spread. Once I was sure I'd like the way it felt, I harassed my husband until he made it (I'm not allowed to use the kitchen aid. Apparently I might break it) :P

post-180691-0-31391600-1385854093_thumb.jpg

I am so glad you liked it - it feels good to have contributed something to you as I have learned a lot from you and some of the others who post here frequently :) If you have a Staples store near you in their dollar bins they have some great little containers that I stocked up on for the facial mix I make (coconut oil & rose oil) and then I have branched out and used pint size Mason jars for mixture for body (coconut oil, rose and lavender oil). The canning jars can be found at most grocery stores for reasonable price. Next time I make a batch up I am going to use some of my Wen oils - have you tried Wen products for your hair? They are 100% natural and make your hair so soft. I am a bit of a shopping fiend & QVC is much too tempting - anyway they have some great deals on Wen right now. I've been reading about Hair loss from the weight loss & am hoping my regular use for past 2 years will help mitigate that as I began using it when I was put on blood thinners for blood clots in 2010 - hair loss began then and stopped with use of Wen.