Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Sabotage

I was your husband. Best thing you can do is not be his food police. Maybe offer to fix him a snack before you go to bed so he knows he doesn't have to hide, knows you know he Snacks and it's ok with you.

Oh, Misty Misty. We have tried just about everything. This goes back so many years with him. There have been refrigerator locks, food hiding, basically everything you can think of. There is really no secret about it and while in principle I worry about it, I don't condemn it either. It really ticks me off when he eats stuff that I have for the kids' lunches, or finishes off a jar of honey or something.

What worries me most is the level of compulsiveness around it. But, as you say, I can't be his food police. I try not to bring much into the house, but the way he goes through things it is very hard to predict what to buy, etc. I come down in the morning sometimes and a box of Cereal or 5-6 yogurt containers are in the trash.

I will say that the only thing that works in terms of "saving" sweets from a midnight raid is to either put it next to our bed on my side or in my closet. He won't venture there. It kills me that it's so disordered here. I didn't sign on to be an accomplice, but here I am.

What kind of Protein do you use? I thought Protein Powder doesn't work well hot.

I'd like to know as well! My attempt at Protein hot cocoa have been miserable at best, nasty as heck at worst. And Luke warm doesn't work, I want it at least a little hot!

This is what I use..

https://www.bariatricchoice.com/bariatric-diet-protein-hot-drinks.html

If you decide to order let me know because they have a refer a friend thing that you get 40 dollars for 20

I drink it at night before bed it helps me feel satiated .

What kind of Protein do you use? I thought Protein powder doesn't work well hot.

I buy the Proti-diet Hot chocolate mix on BariatricChoice.com YUM!

This is what I use..<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.bariatricchoice.com/bariatric-diet-protein-hot-drinks.html'>https://www.bariatricchoice.com/bariatric-diet-protein-hot-drinks.html</a> If you decide to order let me know because they have a refer a friend thing that you get 40 dollars for 20 I drink it at night before bed it helps me feel satiated .

I just ordered a different brand I'm waiting on, if it flops I'll hunt you down again!

Uh-oh!!!!! I've been posting on the VETS forum! Sorry everyone!! I'll be a VET in two weeks, so I'll come back than when I'm legit :-)

For me I drink hot herbal tea in the evening which controls my hunger. Helps get extra fluids in too:)

I struggle with this, too. From the time I get home from work until I go to bed, food is frequently on my mind. I wish I could change that, but so far, all I've been able to do is try to deal with it. I do a combination of what others here have said. I try to plan for a snack near bed - it helps me to know I still have that to look forward to. (sad but true fact). I eat very little during the day because I'm not hungry, and I know I'll need the calories later. I usually average under 400 calories until 5 or 6 pm, then will have the remaining roughly 500 calories between 5 and 9. I have tried spacing calories out to see if that kept my hunger down, but it doesn't. I also will try a cup of coffee or a glass of Water, because sometimes I can't tell the difference between hunger and thirst. And, sometimes I just go to bed hungry if need be. I would not have been able to do that before surgery. I would always try that, but inevitably, I would have to get out of bed and eat something. I would lay awake till 2 am fighting it, and finally give in. Now, even if I think I'm hungry, I go to bed and go to sleep. That's a HUGE benefit of the sleeve - even if I think I'm hungry, I'm not hungry that it drives me do something about it.

I needed to read this. Thanks for sharing! hot Peppermint Decaf tea, mmmm

I have the same issue. So I try to stay busy at night. Some low cal snack that help me include 100 calorie guacamole with veggies or Kim's Magic Pop. I also make low cal, high Protein veggie dips with cottage cheese instead of mayo or sour cream. I also make my own Starbucks cinnamon dolce streamers using high protein milk and a little milk frother gadget that you can buy at IKEA for $1.99. I splurge on the sf cinnamon dolce because the Torani equivalent is just not the same. All of the above feel like indulgent Snacks without much damage. Brushing & flossing my teeth helps too. I also have upped my exercise.

When I first open up MFP to post my weight, I add what I know I will eat during the day. That always includes a desert. Usually some kind of home made fat free sugar free pudding with cool whip. Maybe chocolate chips or Peanut Butter as well. Then I see how many calories I have left, and go from there. I also eat back some of my exercise calories, and this adds some comfort room for Snacks. I am a desert addict, and this is a way I can have it, and still stay on plan. I have made so many other changes, this is one I don't want to change!

You know feed I do that on my "fast" days sometimes. It helps (comforts) me to see the food I will get and after I've eaten what I have left for when I get hungry again :)

I also drink non fat hot chocolate and it really kills the cravings. Not sure how, but it does!

Early out, I had a Protein drink after dinner. Then I switched to beef Jerky or yogurt. Now, it might be fruit, yogurt, Cereal, or a sweet snack if I am in bounce range.<br><br>

And I have to eat enough earlier in the day. If I don't, my hungry rages after dinner. <br><br>

Lynda

I agree... I have to have gotten in Water and protein.. Especially by 4 or I'm seeking food. I also do not consume calories after 7.... Helps the reflux will kill me if I did.