Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe Gerd And Severe Esophageal Spasms 18 Months Post Op

Hello Friends,

I feel so alone with what I'm suffering from. I really can't find anyone else that has had the sleeve that has suffered with this issue. It is relentless!!! I don't know what to do anymore.

I am now 18 months out and have been suffering with severe GERD issues for the last 7 months. I started having attacks and thought that it was from my gall bladder so I had an ultrasound and I did have sludge and stones so they removed it in March. With the GERD I started having esophageal spasms. These things are so painful. It is almost like having a heart attack. The pain starts in the ears, throat, chest, then moves into my stomach. Sort of like labor contractions. Very powerful. I have 5 a week sometime. They usually happen in the middle of the night but have happened during the day while I'm driving or at the grocery store. I have no control. When I saw my surgeon last, he told me the only cure for GERD is RNY. I really will do everything I can NOT to have the gastric bypass. Not that there is anything wrong with that if you choose to do that but for me it isn't the route I need to go. I don't want any more surgery. So, the surgeon put me on anti spasm drugs and a larger dose of PPI. My stomach still hurts most of the time. Mind you this complication is rare. Not the GERD but the spasms. So, I ask you all to pray for me that some how some way my stomach will heal. I've been diagnosed with bile reflux and gastritis as well. I had acid reflux before the sleeve but wasn't aware it could get this bad after surgery for people that had it before. Now I'm a part of this group, I wanted to ask for prayer. Thank you so much. I have no doubt that I will get through this. I was scheduled for a Capsule EGD and Manometry but backed out. Reason I did that is I heard the capsule they attach to the esophagus hurts and is very painful for some. It is supposed to fall off in 7 days and be elimated through stool. If it doesn't, of course they would have to go in and get it. I didn't want to risk that. The other testing is a Manometry with this test they put a tube in the nostril and down the stomach to measure pressure in the stomach and to see if the LES is closing to prevent bile from coming up in the stomach. They do this while you are awake and sitting up. Well, since I already have bile reflux, I felt that had been determined already. I guess my next step will be to see a Gastroenterologist about my issues. Thank you!! I just wanted to vent about what I've been going through. God Bless you all. And by no means does this happen to everyone. So I would never sway someone from having the surgery!!

I don't know what is next for me. I feel like I will be living this way my whole life. I can't sleep on my sides I have to lay on my back. If I turn over, boom spasms!! UGH.. Well, fellow sleevers thanks for listening! If anyone out there has this problem, please respond!!

I'm very sorry to hear your having these complications. You are in my prayers that things get better for you!!!

Oh Lisa's Hope, I really feel for you. I am 3 months out and have spent 5 out of the past 8 weeks in hospital due to a mystery collection of Fluid which became infected. I had a drain put in but after it was removed 3 weeks later the fluid re-collected and again became infected. The pus travelled down the path of least resistance which was where the drain had been and collected under skin as it had healed at this point. Had to go back to theatre to have it aspirated plus they did an endoscopy. They determined the sleeve had healed and there was no sign of a leak. They then put in another CT guided drain, which, 2 weeks later, is still producing pus. So, the question is, where the hell is this fluid coming from??? I have to be honest, I feel quite jealous of all those on here that haven't had any complications and am a little bitter. Still, hopefully I'll get better eventually.

Oh Lisa's Hope, I really feel for you. I am 3 months out and have spent 5 out of the past 8 weeks in hospital due to a mystery collection of Fluid which became infected. I had a drain put in but after it was removed 3 weeks later the Fluid re-collected and again became infected. The pus travelled down the path of least resistance which was where the drain had been and collected under skin as it had healed at this point. Had to go back to theatre to have it aspirated plus they did an endoscopy. They determined the sleeve had healed and there was no sign of a leak. They then put in another CT guided drain, which, 2 weeks later, is still producing pus. So, the question is, where the hell is this fluid coming from??? I have to be honest, I feel quite jealous of all those on here that haven't had any complications and am a little bitter. Still, hopefully I'll get better eventually.

Wow Chrissy! :(

I'm so sorry you are going through this! I feel like my problems are nothing compared to that. I pray they will find out why you have this infection! I don't think I've heard of this before.

Please keep me posted on how you are and what they find out.

God bless you!!

Lisa's Hope and Chrissy,

Wish I had something more constructive to say than I'm so sorry to hear about your complications. What a horrible experience. I hope you find resolution soon. I'll keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Much love!

HUgs to both of you.

Hi Lisa's Hope and Chrissy,

I am sorry to hear about all the problems you are having and will keep you in prayers. I've just cancelled my sleeve surgery even though I somewhat doubt that I can loose the weight in any other way. But I just think that if one cuts out over 80% of a part of your body that is vital for survival it'll be easy for problems to pop up. I know we don't need a stomach the size of a football, but nevertheless we are just lacking long term studies on this. I really hope that your problems can be sorted out without additional surgery. And please, don't misunderstand my post as I may well go on to have the surgery in the future.

Thanks guys. My problem, bad as it is, is not the worst I've heard. One woman on here was in a coma for 19 days and was in hospital for 5 1/2 months. They had to convert her sleeve to a bypass as the bottom of her stomach was seriously infected. She came through it and so will we. :-) xx

Hi Lisa,

I had problems with GERD before my surgery and was warned that it may get worse after the sleeve, they were right. I was waking up almost nightly with stomach acid coming up my esophagus and then I was aspirating it into my lungs, bad combo. Talked to my PCP and he started me on Nexium 40mg daily. That seemed to help, but didn't take care of it completely so after 2 months he raised my dose to twice daily and I haven't had a single bit of trouble since. Hope you find some relief!!!

Hey Lisa, I feel your pain I have had such severe gastritis and esophagitis that I was unable to eat for about a month and a half and was throwing up about 10 times per day... The doctors finally started taking me seriously when I started collapsing... They put me on pantaloc and it helped me when nothing else would!

I've had esophageal spasms in the past... I'm pre op... but I wanted to reply because you are the only person I've heard of having those. Seriously one of the most painful events I've ever experienced and I have an incredibly high tolerance for pain. Your post gave me some more things to talk to my surgeon about.

Hello Friends,

I feel so alone with what I'm suffering from. I really can't find anyone else that has had the sleeve that has suffered with this issue. It is relentless!!! I don't know what to do anymore.

I am now 18 months out and have been suffering with severe GERD issues for the last 7 months. I started having attacks and thought that it was from my gall bladder so I had an ultrasound and I did have sludge and stones so they removed it in March. With the GERD I started having esophageal spasms. These things are so painful. It is almost like having a heart attack. The pain starts in the ears, throat, chest, then moves into my stomach. Sort of like labor contractions. Very powerful. I have 5 a week sometime. They usually happen in the middle of the night but have happened during the day while I'm driving or at the grocery store. I have no control. When I saw my surgeon last, he told me the only cure for GERD is RNY. I really will do everything I can NOT to have the gastric bypass. Not that there is anything wrong with that if you choose to do that but for me it isn't the route I need to go. I don't want any more surgery. So, the surgeon put me on anti spasm drugs and a larger dose of PPI. My stomach still hurts most of the time. Mind you this complication is rare. Not the GERD but the spasms. So, I ask you all to pray for me that some how some way my stomach will heal. I've been diagnosed with bile reflux and gastritis as well. I had acid reflux before the sleeve but wasn't aware it could get this bad after surgery for people that had it before. Now I'm a part of this group, I wanted to ask for prayer. Thank you so much. I have no doubt that I will get through this. I was scheduled for a Capsule EGD and Manometry but backed out. Reason I did that is I heard the capsule they attach to the esophagus hurts and is very painful for some. It is supposed to fall off in 7 days and be elimated through stool. If it doesn't, of course they would have to go in and get it. I didn't want to risk that. The other testing is a Manometry with this test they put a tube in the nostril and down the stomach to measure pressure in the stomach and to see if the LES is closing to prevent bile from coming up in the stomach. They do this while you are awake and sitting up. Well, since I already have bile reflux, I felt that had been determined already. I guess my next step will be to see a Gastroenterologist about my issues. Thank you!! I just wanted to vent about what I've been going through. God Bless you all. And by no means does this happen to everyone. So I would never sway someone from having the surgery!!

I don't know what is next for me. I feel like I will be living this way my whole life. I can't sleep on my sides I have to lay on my back. If I turn over, boom spasms!! UGH.. Well, fellow sleevers thanks for listening! If anyone out there has this problem, please respond!!

Praying for you!

Do a search for a user on here called nailsbyniki. She went through very similar stuff. You can PM her and I am sure she would be happy to talk to you. I'm sure you really don't want to hear it, but in most cases, RNY cures GERD. It is a function of how RNY separates the food from the bile and mixes them in the intestine rather than the stomach. And GERD is very serious and puts you at grave risk for esophageal cancer. By all means, get a second or third opinion. But please think seriously about why you are resisting conversion to RNY. If you continue to have the GERD and the spasms, you could be setting yourself up for many painful surgeries in the future. By the way I suffered from GERD pre-op. I had the sleeve with the informed knowledge that I may have to convert to RNY later. I took the risk. Right now my GERD is managed by Nexium, but it may not always be enough. Throat cancer is so much worse than RNY, at least in my own opinion, and I won't risk it.

Here is Niki's thread. It is long. She had a kink in her intestine as well as Addison's Disease in the end. It was a very long road for her. It is worth reading the whole thing and then PMing her. http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/248633-sleeve-revision-to-gastric-bypass-tomorrow/

Edited by mistysj

Hi Lisa...I had been thinking about you long before mistyj told me to stop in but I have been going thru so much myself, I hadn't taken the time and I'm sorry! I'm sorry to hear you're still having such trouble! It's exhausting isn't it?!?! The trouble you're going thru, the thoughts about what to do, the opinions from friends and family who hate to see you suffer and just want you well...take it from me, I know! Let me know if there's anything I can do or say...I'm praying for you!

I've had esophageal spasms in the past... I'm pre op... but I wanted to reply because you are the only person I've heard of having those. Seriously one of the most painful events I've ever experienced and I have an incredibly high tolerance for pain. Your post gave me some more things to talk to my surgeon about.

Yes! So painful!! I would do anything to get rid of them. Not being able to sleep on my sides is crazy. I'm still fighting it. I don't want to have GB. My surgeon is trying to get me to revise. Since my husband has been diagnosed with terminal liver cancer, I am so stressed and they are worse.

Please keep in touch and let me know how you are and if you decide to do surgery. I know it has been awhile since you posted this. Sorry, just now read it.

Good luck on your surgery! Hope all goes well for you.