Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Transition Off Prilosec (Omeprazole)

Hi Everyone,

I had surgery 31 days ago. When I left the hospital, my surgeon told me to take Prilosec (Omeprazole) for 30 days. Time is up, and now I am experiencing the sleeve without it. I don't know if it's just a coincidence or what, but my stomach is now making crazy crazy noises when I eat. I am starting to get worried about what this is going to be like.

If your surgeon had you on Prilosec, can you tell me what your experience was like when you came off Prilosec? Did you have to change your eating? Did it cause problems? What should I look out for?

At the moment, my mushy lunch feels like it's mostly just sitting in my esophagus. Bummer.

Do you feel pressure or get the burps?

Sounds like you may need to continue on it.

I'm 2 months out and still taking it.

I agree, it sounds like you may still need it. Sometimes when I do get heartburn/reflux that is what it feels like. It's very uncomfortable.

I also stopped around 4 weeks post op. I still take it some days because I feel hunger pains that aren't really hunger pains. They are actually acid build up in my stomach. I do notice that when I take the omeprazole that the hunger feeling/acid goes away. I read about others having this experience and find that it's also true in my case. I do get the burps and I haven't noticed if they are less on the days that I take the omeprazole...will have to check on that!

I'm almost 6months out and still use it. Someone in my support group was able to stop after a month without problems...Everyone is so different. I take it morn/night if you do too try only doing morns if tolerated then every other day for 5days if no problems consult your MD to stop but if you starts experiencing intolerances stay on it! Hope this helps

Thanks, everybody. I did get burpy, 2Skate!

I think you're right. I may need to take it longer. I want to avoid having to take it too long though.

I just read that bananas are great for the digestive lining also. I'm going to add those to my mushies!

3.5 months out, and was told to keep taking till 6 month check up. Man, the doctors are all so different in their instructions.

I'll have to be In it for three months post-op

I was also supposed to be on a acid reducer for 6 months but I am 6 months out now and I still need it. If I miss to many doses I start to get bad heartburn That goes away as soon as I take my pepcid.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I am WAY more hungry now than I've been before. Incredibly hungry. It has to be because of not taking prilosec. That's scary. I'll start taking it again for now, I think. I don't know how I'll handle life with all that hunger. :(

I forgot to take it this morning and I've been hungry all day and had the most calories since I started preop. Coincidence? Who knows but I'm going to remember to take it tomorrow!

I have a prescription to take it twice a day for 2 months. I just figured out that I need to take it mid day and the evening when I get super hungry and can't get full! I would keep taking it