Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions From A Beginner

Hello Everyone,

At the beginning of 2013 I began exploring the possibility of weight loss surgery. I am 6' and at the time was 275lbs (BMI 37) with diabetes, gout, low testosterone, and high cholesterol. I went to a seminar, had a consultation with a surgeon, and really had decided that was the path I should take. Needless to say I followed the wisdom of my primary care physician and some family members, who urged me not to do it. Instead I went on a physician supervised weight loss program using Medifast and lost 45 lbs. This was extremely hard work and I had many struggles dropping that weight.

Fast forward to now, I have regained almost all of the weight back. I am now at 260 lbs (BMI 35) and back in the same place I was a year ago. I have decided to pursue the vertical sleeve surgery option once again.

I have many concerns but mainly I am curious about your life after the VSG. Are you ever able to eat normally again? For example, if I were at a baseball game and wanted to eat a hotdog I would not want to be so restricted that I could not do that. Are you ever able to drink fluids normally again? I have heard it takes forever to consume fluids. How many calories do you consume? I wonder how safe it would be if the procedure was so restrictive that one could only consume 1,000 - 1,200 calories per day.

My final pressing concern is dealing with those close to you that may be against surgery. Obviously I care very much about their views and their advice is really what stopped me from doing this the first time. The conflicting viewpoints put doubt in my mind which makes it very difficult to follow through with my decision. I do not have as high of a BMI as some may perceive bariatric patients as having. Did you face this problem and how did you cope?

I am about 9 days post op and can drink fluids fairly normally. It does take longer to get the recommended 64 fl oz in per day, but I get pretty close. As for the hot dog issue, I can't speak to the bread thing, but I know a lot of ppl can tolerate bread, but we are cautioned from eating carbs habitually. I am sure that you would be able to have a couple bites of a hot dog, but probably could not eat a whole one.

As far as dealing with people close to you and their reactions to the surgery.... you are going to hear everything from keeping it a secret to telling whoever asks. Once I was secure in my decision, it didn't matter what anyone said or thought about it. If they wanted to say anything negative, I would say, 'thanks for sharing,' or 'i appreciate your input', and that was it. I had no real opponents but I had some people who were pretty surprised. No real negative static, especially once this bus was really rolling. You gotta do what you feel is right for you. It's your journey and your stomach. Good luck.

I'm meeting my surgeon on Dec 6, but my husband isn't too supportive of my decision to do the sleeve because my health has been so poor. He's worried about me having another surgery and possibly regretting this procedure since you can't undue it. My question: was your partner on board? Were you ever worried that once the procedure was done, there is no turning back?

I also was on MEDIFASt and lost 60 pounds two years ago. I regained all plus 5 extra pounds..so here I am having the surgery on dec 9. Many of my friends who were on MEDIFASt also gained most or all of their weight. My daughter was not on board ..and is probably still not too much on board with the surgery ..she is a physician assistant..my husband does not say much..he has not discouraged or encouraged me. But I may doing this for myself..I am exhausted with losing and regaining, .abolutely exhausted. Do what u have to do for yourself..good luck and keep us posted.

You have to be doing this for yourself, and nobody else. It is a game changing descision, to be sure. You need to go through a good program, where they will teach you the ins and outs of pre surgery, and post surgery. You will not be able to eat as you do now. But then again, why would you, if you are serious about losing the weight and facing your health issues?

I am 3 plus months post op, and down 66 lbs. It took me 8 months from start to finish to go through the program. Glad it did. Have a completly different attitude towards food now.

Good luck on your descision. Again, do it for you, not anyone else.

Thank you everyone for the responses. My wife is on board with the decision but like me sometimes has a floating opinion. I am definitely nervous I might have regrets after the surgery and not be able to change it back.