Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Still Be Able To Get The Surgery?

I got a call today saying I was cleared to see the doctor and to schedule a surgery date. I see the doctor next week. However since the last time I saw the NUT (at my final appointment) I have gained a few pounds. Losing weight has always been a struggle for me and I gain fairly easily. I'm just worried about going in to see the surgeon to schedule an appointment and not being able to get a surgery date. Will the surgeon still schedule the surgery date? I am still well below my initial weight, however.

Anyone else ever have this issue and was still able to get the surgery?

I am pre-op and gained some weight as well. I think they call it something where you are basically saying goodbye to foods that you love. I want to know too because I have heard that doctors have been putting people on liquid diets to lose the pounds prior to surgery.

My surgeon said "I don't expect that many people will really lose weight pre-op." Now, your mileage may vary here…but that was his opinion. I did end up losing after all, about 4-8 pounds (I don't know what the final weigh in was, because I'm going off my last pre-op visit.)

It's possible it won't be a big deal but you might want to double check.

Both my surgeoun and nurse said quite a few times - if i gain = no surgery! Going to be a long, hard month!

I was also worried because I had gained weight for my final weigh-in, and was scared they would postpone my surgery. Like you, I was still below my initial recorded weight, so I guess as long as you're not over your initial weight, it should be okay. They didn't even mention the weight gain that was noted between my previous weigh in and my last weigh in. That was certainly a load of my chest!

When I went to the first initial NUT meeting (the one everyone attends) they weighed me in and they said that this is the weight they are going by for when they submit everything to the insurance company. Then when they were talking to everyone, we were told that this is the weight they go by and if you gain more weight (I'm assuming above and beyond that initial weight) then you won't be able to get the surgery until you lose that weight. She also said that in the past they have kicked patients out of the program for gaining more weight but they don't do that anymore, now they just make you lose it before you get the surgery.

Now with that said, that initial weight for me was 275. I was able to get down to 260 while seeing their NUT once a month for 6 months (I know it doesn't seem like a lot). Right now I currently weigh 265. So this is why I wonder if I'll still be able to go ahead and get the surgery or will it be postponed? Like another member mentioned I think part of my problem was (is) knowing a lot of foods that I enjoy eating will be no more, so I've been eating some of them now and kind of 'getting that out of the way' so I can just move forward. If that makes sense?

I don't really know anything about the 6 month pre diet... but as far as the liquid diet it (usually) isn't for weight loss. It is to shrink your liver and make it more flexible so that you don't end up having to have an open surgery. Most of us have "food funerals" leading up to pre op diet. This diet consists of Protein Shakes (55-80g) and Water (broth, popsicles ect...) I personally had a 10 day liquid pre op and a 10 day liquid post op. Good luck!

You should be fine hum, don't stress, just 'behave' in the meantime. I gained a couple pounds when I had my appointment to get the surgery date, and as stupid as it sounds, I wore the thinnest pajama pants I had, a t shirt, no underwear or socks, no jewelry, no glasses, and took my shoes off, and did NOT drink or eat before that appointment that day and was just fine. I've given this advice to a couple people at my support group and they have used it and you would be surprised. Best wishes and please keep us updated ;-)

High weight:270

Start weight:252

Weight at day of surgery:232

Current weight:182