Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Following A Paleo/primal Diet?

I used to eat this way before and I felt great and ill be going back add soon as I'm back to solids. I'm hoping my stomach will be able to tolerate that type of lifestyle!

Actually that's all you are allowed to eat post surgery. meat, vegetables, nuts, no grains, very little fruit, nothing processed. That's Paleo right there. Only difference is that we get to do dairy which, at first, is the easiest Protein to ingest and true Paleo would shy away from dairy.

I am mainly following Weston A. Price/Primitive diet, which has similarities to Paleo. I knew in my heart that artificial sweeteners as dictated by my bariatric practice are poisons, as are some of the other things they advocated, as are almost everything I see on TV, so I had to find my own way. I also knew that low/artificial/processed fat was not good and healthy fats are really important. I did some reading, consulted with an amazing naturopath who I have known and trusted for years, and it has really helped. I have tolerated it really well and feel fine. I ate homemade chopped liver, scrambled eggs (I have chickens), homemade applesauce, banana, sweet potato, kale pesto, and I made fish balls. I am 5 weeks out from surgery and can eat sushi, seaweed salad, smoked salmon, ground meat-based things, cucumber, steamed string Beans, grapefruit, for example. I don't think you will have any problem at all. Same principals: don't eat too fast, stop when your body says, get your fluids in, etc. Glad I am not the only one!

Do you drink cafffiene? When can I have caffiene?! One of my drs who had the same surgery said he had coffee 10 days out!

I'm really glad to read about this. The artificial sweetener/low fat stuff has been concerning me. I'm still only 2.5 weeks out so I'm feeling my way around this subject.

I keep reading about this and I keep thinking COOL!!! WE GOTTA TRY THIS.... But then I think, cookie??? No more cookie??? No more bread? !?!?!? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Then I get lazy and blow it off again.....one of these days...maybe.....

Honestly guys, if you follow your dietary rules, you will be eating fairly Paleo, with the exception of dairy. Anyone worth their salt would tell you many overweight people have insulin resistance, and the way go avoid/eliminate that is through a low carb diet. I can't remember if I said this earlier, but I get 40%Protein, 40% fat and 20% carbs in my diet (calorie wise) and manage to hit the guidelines of at least 60 gms of Protein and less than 50 gms of carbs that my surgeon gave us. So what else is left? Fat, right? So the rest if the calories go to fat and it ends up being a fat and protein rich diet that works well for many of us.

When I create recipes to post on the blog, most of them end up getting tagged Paleo, gluten-free, high protein, and low carb. That is what you are MEANT to eat after surgery.

Honestly guys, if you follow your dietary rules, you will be eating fairly Paleo, with the exception of dairy. Anyone worth their salt would tell you many overweight people have insulin resistance, and the way go avoid/eliminate that is through a low carb diet. I can't remember if I said this earlier, but I get 40%protein, 40% fat and 20% carbs in my diet (calorie wise) and manage to hit the guidelines of at least 60 gms of Protein and less than 50 gms of carbs that my surgeon gave us. So what else is left? Fat, right? So the rest if the calories go to fat and it ends up being a fat and protein rich diet that works well for many of us. When I create recipes to post on the blog, most of them end up getting tagged Paleo, gluten-free, high protein, and low carb. That is what you are MEANT to eat after surgery.

im completely allowed grain...it's encouraged in fact (I'm RNY)....

I'm doing fine on my Protein but it is really hard in the liquid phase to keep the carbs at that level. Or at least, I have found it to be. Maybe it will be easier when it's not so much Soup all the time.

im completely allowed grain...it's encouraged in fact (I'm RNY)....

Really? I didn't know that. What are your guidelines? Now you have me curious.

I'm doing fine on my Protein but it is really hard in the liquid phase to keep the carbs at that level. Or at least, I have found it to be. Maybe it will be easier when it's not so much Soup all the time.

The liquid phase is mainly about Protein and. Hydration so I wouldn't worry about it quite yet. Also I found I needed more carbs as I was healing. I would get so dog tired that I'd be listless and sleepy. Amazing how much a little bean Soup or a half of a sweet potato would lift me up. Now, I don't seem to need it nearly as much.

Really? I didn't know that. What are your guidelines? Now you have me curious.

Very much just a vague guideline... 4 small meals a day consisting of a Protein plus a veg, fruit, or grain (or combination of). Each meal should be 200-250 calories with 20 grams of Protein per meal and 15-20 grams of carbohydrate per meal. Grains should be whole grains, avoid processed grains like ready to eat Pasta and cereals.

My approved list of grains (really it's more of an approved list of carbs): quinoa (which, nutritionally, is a rock star), chickpeas, lentils/beans (except wax Beans and green beans), fat free retried Beans, whole grain crackers, Melba toast, potatoes, peas (except snow peas), corn, hominy, oatmeal (not instant) m cream of wheat, grits. In moderation, whole wheat, high Fiber bread, whole wheat Pasta, multi grain English muffins, kashi whole grain cereals (or other whole grain cereals), whole grain waffles....

It's more about appropriate amounts than it is barring foods (except for junk foods). Now, in all honesty, 1/2 of the above I cannot eat because I will dump (super sensitive to carbs, yay me!) but I'm the same with fruit...grapes have kicked my butt 3 times now and they are absolutely an approved item. Obviously I'm not too bright :)

I'm 5 weeks out and following a paleo diet for the most part. I occasionally have greek yogurt and add Frontier Labs whey Peptein Protein (see Amazon) as it is low carb and I can add it to just about anything if my Protein totals are low for the day.

Glad to know there are other Paleos out there!

Kathy

I'm considering taking up this diet/lifestyle after my sleeve - do you guys ever find that you "really" miss carbs? Also, if you DO eat something with a carb as a special occasion, do you find that you get the same "carb detox" symptoms I just got over as a part of the pre-op diet? I really don't want to go through that again, but am unsure that I will be able to forever swear off carbs (I love Pasta so much...)

Paleo is a bit different from low-carb. On Paleo, you focus on meat and veggies, with fruit and nuts as Condiments. For weight loss, I am trying to get my Protein to 75g, carbs under 30, calories about 850 per day. I don't worry about anything else.

With Paleo, you don't necessarily have to go through the carb flu, unless you've really been chowing on candy bars. If you find you are getting those symptoms, then increase your good carbs a bit and gradually lower them. There are now enough Paleo substitutes for fun carbs that you can usually find a recipe for the taste you're missing. And then once you've been serious Paleo for a time, you honestly don't miss the carbs.

It's a bit different after you've had the sleeve (in my vast 5 weeks experience!) because you are so focused on getting enough Protein that you do sink into ketosis and hit those symptoms.

What you try to avoid, according to my paleo nutritionist (Beverly Meyer in San Antonio - look up her podcasts; book coming soon):

- no wheat/gluten

- no sugar (I use Kal Pure Stevia Extract powder -- 3.5 oz; so much better than that bitter stuff you find at grocery and use the tiny little spoon inside!!! - that's all you need for a cup of coffee)

- soy

- legume/beans (yes, sadly peanut butter)

- dairy (I do have heavy whipping cream in coffee in the mornings and will use butter; switching to ghee soon; and will have raw milk cheeses or goat/sheep cheese)

- white potatoes

- Fruits: stick with lower glycemic like blueberries, strawberries, the occasional banana and apple.

- Rice/Quinoa: debated. Likely better for maintenance as a treat every now and again.

I know I'm forgetting stuff. The best resources are:

- Mark Sisson of Mark's Daily Apple. His 90-day journal has all the basic information and helps you restrict various problem foods and then add them back in to see what they do to your body. Helps you to know how best to feed yourself. Diary can work for some, not others. Same for nuts. For me, wheat = +5 pounds and painful knees!

- Chris Kessler - for the science

- Robb Wolf - very motivational

- www.nomnompaleo.com (great website, free iPad app, and cookbook coming out next month). i trust her recipes. I'm from San Antonio and her cooking meshes with our tastes (picky husband) - leaning toward more flavorful and a bit spicy at times.

- www.thecothesmakethegirl.com blog: author of Well Fed and Well Fed 2 cookbooks - paleo recipes from around the world.

Lots more out there but these will get your started. As you reach your goal weight, then add back in more good carbs and see where your breaking point is of gain/maintain weight.

Hope this helps,

Kathy