Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Losing Weight On The Pre-Op Diet...

I am currently on day 5 of the pre-op diet. My pre-op diet instructions from my surgeon are 800-900 calories per day of any food they sell in their store in the surgeon's office. It's all specially formulated food that's low carb, low cal, high Protein.< /p>

I have been following it TO. THE. LETTER. I haven't even had some of the "allowed" things like sugar free popsicles, sugar free soda, etc. I've been getting in OVER my required 64 fl. oz of Water a day.

But I'm not losing any weight. I haven't gained anything, but I haven't lost anything. I am sitting at the same weight - to the decimal point - as when I started.

I'm starting to worry. My surgeon has specifically said that if, on the day of surgery, I haven't lost any weight, my surgery is cancelled. I could see if I was cheating or not following the diet and not losing weight that I'd have no one to blame if I didn't lose weight but myself. But to be following it EXACTLY (even being more strict than the actual diet states!) and still not losing weight on day 5 is really disheartening. Not to mention I'm worried of getting my surgery cancelled!

Anyone have any advice? Did this happen to anyone else? Does it take a delay to start losing weight on the pre-op diet and I'm just not seeing it yet? Is that common?

Help!!

How long is your pre-op for? Are you walking with it? I know I didn't have to exercise with my pre-OP but that could be something you can do. Also, are you doing Protein shakes?
Your body is probably just adjusting to the changes, if you know you are following it, it is just up to your body now. A possibility is you might not be eating enough? Are you satisfied on the pre-op diet? I know even after the sleeve if I don't eat frequently, even just a bite, I don't lose weight.
I would talk to your surgeon or NUT and reach out for help. Show them you are doing everything exactly the way it says and ask for help and see if maybe you should change things up. If you reach out to them before your surgery date, it will show them you really care. But if you wait until that morning, or the day before, they may be like "Oh she didn't follow it."
Good luck and keep us updated...

Thank you for the reply, Erika!

I am not explicitly supposed to exercise with the pre-op diet, but I have been getting on my recumbent bike and doing 30 minutes every other day (as my body tolerates - I find I have been so drained of energy the first few days of the pre-op diet).

I did my first Protein shake this morning. My stomach did NOT like it. I'm hoping that it's just a matter of my stomach getting used to it because it will be a REAL long 2 week post op if my stomach can't tolerate Protein shakes.

I am going in for a weigh in on Wednesday with the surgeon's PA. If the scale hasn't moved (or even if it has...) I will let them know about my struggles. But I'm hoping that you're right and it's just my body adjusting and the lb's will start coming off soon!

Good luck!!!!!!!!

What shakes are you using? I loved the Optifast ones but the Bariatric Advantage shakes made me sick too. :( Which sucks cause I have a huge bag of it at home and I don't even like how it tastes.

Just have faith, it'll work out. Keep records, and I'll bet it's Water weight fluctuations (could it be cycle-related?)

It must be my scale at home because when I went to the PA appointment today, I was down 6 lbs from last week! The PA even said that was "above average" for what they expect someone to lose in the first week of the pre-op diet. He also said to "stop weighing myself" and trust the process and that I was doing "awesome"

:)

Good job Kelly!!

I'm on day 3 of the preop.. It's tough!!

Fire...

Yes it's VERY hard. Stick to it anyway and it WILL get better. You DO want this in your victory column... so stay the course.

Im in the same boat. Been on it a week already and the scale hast budged. Feeling worried, ive got nine days til surgery

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I just started my 2 week pre-op today. kinda hard to sit here and drink a Protein Shake when you coworkers are eating burgers lol! But Full steam ahead!!!