Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is next week and I just wondering about something. My dietician said to stay away from sticky rice as in sushi. Does that mean forever? I think that sushi is the best thing on the planet so I would be sad to see it go. I understand if it would be awhile before my stomach could handle the rice but I'm hoping down the road a few pieces would be ok. There is always sashimi which will be fine I assume. Anybody have experience with sushi?

I are some not long ago (I'm two months out), I just ate the insides...idk if I could have eaten it all or not, just didn't try, but it was oh so good

Omg!! The one thing I miss most is sushi. I am 5 weeks post op. I saw my NUT last week. I am on soft foods and she said rice is on the allowed list, but to proceed with caution. Rice is small, so how much actually gets chewed and how much just goes down whole? Personally I am trying to hold off on adding back in much carbs like bread rice and Pasta. I have thought about just ordering a roll without rice, but I just don't think it will be the same. A place I like does offer brown rice as an option, so once I try it I will probably go with that. I plan to wait until I am cleared for regular foods. That's in 3 more weeks.

I'm a year out and ate sushi not too long ago. I haven't heard anything about not being able to eat it forever. I wonder if anyone else has!

I love sushi!! But after my surgery (4m postoperative) I guess my taste buds changed I did not like it anymore! :(

I eat sushi, I just order rolls without the rice. I don't notice the difference.

Sushi is my favorite food!!! I had it before my pre op. It's just amazing to me!! I hope I still enjoin it as much as I do now after I'm sleeved.

I never thought that I would have to give up sushi! This is worse than giving up beer and diet Coke!

I never thought that I would have to give up sushi! This is worse than giving up beer and diet Coke!

I AGREE!!!

Why can't you guys have sushi with no rice? Or sashimi? Or the nori wraps with no rice?

Skinny rolls ( no rice) or sashimi are my best of friends!

How are y'all doing on this? Has anyone ate plain sushi with sticky rice? I've got a craving!

It seems like the sticky rice might get stuck... and the way pills get stuck in me, I'm not going near sticky rice. But boy, it sounds great and think how cheap! One roll and I'm good for the day...

I'm 7 weeks out, and I actually ate sushi last night. I took about half the rice off each piece, and was only able to eat 4 small pieces of a roll. (The roll was 12 pieces) it was the best thing I've eaten in 9 weeks. ;)

Good that gives me something to look forward to. I can't have it now cuz I'm only 10 days post op, but it sounds sooo good. It's good to know you didn't have any problems with it. I'm sleeved and haven had any issues with things getting stuck yet (knock on wood). Have y'all had HEB's (I dunno if HEB is just a Texas thing) sushi? It is awesome and cheap.