Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You May Be More Successful Than You Think....

You are 48% of the way there. Girl, you've lost 80 lbs already. That's so impressive. Almost half-way.

48% That's ALL!!! :( This just depressed me! Lol

48% That's ALL!!! :( This just depressed me! Lol

I don't know when you had the surgery, but 48% at 5 months is great! I know I had to work on replacing my negative feelings about the speed or numbers with determination to keep on keeping on... this journey is never over. 80 pounds is above average for loss, which is around 10 pounds a month. Staying on the losing and not gaining train is ALWAYS a good thing. When is the last time you lost 80 pounds in a few months!?

I don't know when you had the surgery, but 48% at 5 months is great! I know I had to work on replacing my negative feelings about the speed or numbers with determination to keep on keeping on... this journey is never over. 80 pounds is above average for loss, which is around 10 pounds a month. Staying on the losing and not gaining train is ALWAYS a good thing. When is the last time you lost 80 pounds in a few months!?

I am 4 months out today and 81lbs down. I was being a bit sarcastic in my last comment. Like I knew id be close to 50% but I was hoping that I would have been over 50% because that would mean I was even closer. :-) no worries I'm pretty proud of my 48%

October 11th :)

That's pretty amazing :)

I am SO not math-y so your help is very much appreciated.

SW 214

CW 151 (gained 3 while recovering from should surgery)

GW 145

I struggled with the same depressing comparisons since I had less to lose.i downloaded an app called Get-2-Goal for my iPad that really helped.

post-181324-0-70525000-1384696361_thumb.jpg

I am SO not math-y so your help is very much appreciated. SW 214 CW 151 (gained 3 while recovering from should surgery) GW 145

Well you're 91% of the way there! I'm sure you'll get there shortly, as soon as you heal from the surgery.

(if you can't see this post without a bunch of extra HTML code, go here: http://sleevers.wordpress.com/2013/11/10/you-may-be-doing-better-than-you-think/)

Or math games geeks play.

So I see people posting how they’ve lost a lot less than those who were sleeved the same day as them. “I’m 3 months out and I’ve only lost X but everyone else has lost so much more than me.” Theoretically we all understand that if someone has a lot to lose, they will lose faster than someone who has less to lose.

But here’s an example to make it real. There’s me, with 80 lbs to lose, and there’s my friend Emily who has 180 lbs to lose. Mine are actual results, and I made up the results for Emily.

Wow, I’m doing really badly. I’ve “only” lost 35 lbs in 3 months and Emily has lost 79 lbs! Obviously, I’m failing.

total-weight.jpg?w=600&h=196

But you want to know a secret? I didn’t entirely make up Emily’s numbers. Look at the picture below. Can you guess what I did?

excess-body-weight1.jpg?w=600&h=178

Yup. I messed around with the numbers until Emily had lost exactly the same as I had in terms of percent excess weight to lose. I have 80 lb. to lose, she has 180 lb. to lose. In order for her to match me for percent of excess weight lost, she has to lose considerably more than I do during the same time period.

Poor Emily is having to work a lot harder to get the same results I am. And what do you know, I'm doing just fine.

This is why I strongly believe that we should move away from total pounds lost, and move to percent excess weight lost to gauge where we are in our journeys.

Here’s how to calculate your %EWL:

• [Total weight lost/(Starting weight - Goal Weight)]*100
  • [35/(230-150)]*100
  • (35/80)*100
  • =44%

Who knew Math could make you feel better hunh?

Btw, if you're total math phobic, give me your start weight, your current weight, and your goal weight and I will do this for you.

(if you can't see this post without a bunch of extra HTML code, go here: http://sleevers.wordpress.com/2013/11/10/you-may-be-doing-better-than-you-think/)

Or math games geeks play.

So I see people posting how they’ve lost a lot less than those who were sleeved the same day as them. “I’m 3 months out and I’ve only lost X but everyone else has lost so much more than me.” Theoretically we all understand that if someone has a lot to lose, they will lose faster than someone who has less to lose.

But here’s an example to make it real. There’s me, with 80 lbs to lose, and there’s my friend Emily who has 180 lbs to lose. Mine are actual results, and I made up the results for Emily.

Wow, I’m doing really badly. I’ve “only” lost 35 lbs in 3 months and Emily has lost 79 lbs! Obviously, I’m failing.

total-weight.jpg?w=600&h=196

But you want to know a secret? I didn’t entirely make up Emily’s numbers. Look at the picture below. Can you guess what I did?

excess-body-weight1.jpg?w=600&h=178

Yup. I messed around with the numbers until Emily had lost exactly the same as I had in terms of percent excess weight to lose. I have 80 lb. to lose, she has 180 lb. to lose. In order for her to match me for percent of excess weight lost, she has to lose considerably more than I do during the same time period.

Poor Emily is having to work a lot harder to get the same results I am. And what do you know, I'm doing just fine.

This is why I strongly believe that we should move away from total pounds lost, and move to percent excess weight lost to gauge where we are in our journeys.

Here’s how to calculate your %EWL:

• [Total weight lost/(Starting weight - Goal Weight)]*100
  • [35/(230-150)]*100
  • (35/80)*100
  • =44%

Who knew Math could make you feel better hunh?

Btw, if you're total math phobic, give me your start weight, your current weight, and your goal weight and I will do this for you.

Nice!

I'm über excited!!! I just recalculated my % lost forever...at 11 weeks out I have lost 54% of my current goal!!! :):):)

GG, you have done so many of us a huge favour by putting our weightloss in perspective. I have stopped telling people the number of pounds I have lost - thanks to you, I now say that I have lost 92% of my excess weight. Then I wait for jaws to drop, lol!!!!

Thanks again :D

GG, you have done so many of us a huge favour by putting our weightloss in perspective. I have stopped telling people the number of pounds I have lost - thanks to you, I now say that I have lost 92% of my excess weight. Then I wait for jaws to drop, lol!!!! Thanks again :D

I'm so glad to hear it. There are few situations where math doesn't make things better, but success is not one of them. :)

I'm going to do another one as soon as my son comes home, to help us arrive at appropriate goal weights based on body fat, so we can ditch the BMI charts. I need him to create a calculator for us. We'll probably have that this weekend, if I nag him enough.

Brilliant idea - I have gone with BMI to date but it is just one indicator... it isn't the whole picture. That's why I loved the % calculator. Can't wait to see what your son comes up with x