Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Easy Pressure Cooker Chili

Pics and nutritional facts at: food still and we’re tired of throwing it out or giving it away. One of the ways to make this happen was to buy smaller cooking pots. I’ve been using the Fagor multi-pot for pressure and slow cooking but it’s 6 quarts so everything looks really small–until you dish it out and then you realize you’ve made enough for an army of marauding Huns.

So last week I bought a 2-quart multi-pot and scaled down our recipes. Just think–a pound of meat now makes 2 dishes, and each dish feeds us for 2 meals. It’s really hard to wrap my head around it still.

So this week’s pound of ground beef was transformed to two dishes. A low-carb vegetable-meat chili , and a low-carb shepherd’s pie.

I cheated a bit on this chili. I don’t usually use spice mixes, but this is an easy supper that takes 15 minutes to assemble, and we all have days where we need something like that. I’m also using frozen vegetables because we’re still buying too many fresh vegetables and having to throw them out, so I’m trying to learn to love some frozen ones in our diet.

Ingredients

• 1/2 lb lean ground beef
  • 1/8 c chopped onion
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tsp coconut oil or ghee
  • 1/2 packet ready made chili spice mix
  • 1 c mixed frozen vegetables
  • 8 oz can Tomato sauce (not paste)
  • 4 oz Water
  • Method
    1. Umm…put everything in your pressure cooker. Mix. Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Enjoy.
    2. Seriously. That’s it.
    3. You could also cook it a crockpot for 8 hours on low. I’m sure browning would help tastes, but I don’t think it’s entirely necessary.

Thanks for the recipe inspiration :) I love my pressure cooker & look forward to learning to make healthier meals in the future in it. I am only 2 1/2 weeks out from my sleeve surgery so not cooking too much yet. I checked out your blog and really enjoyed it. Love the recipes and tips I found there.

Thanks for the recipe inspiration :) I love my pressure cooker & look forward to learning to make healthier meals in the future in it. I am only 2 1/2 weeks out from my sleeve surgery so not cooking too much yet. I checked out your blog and really enjoyed it. Love the recipes and tips I found there.

Another pressure cooker user! I have several pressure cooker recipes on the blog for a lazy beef curry, a chicken curry, an ethiopian curry, etc. I love just throwing everything in there and cooking it with no browning etc. and they all work great. Here's a link:

http://sleevers.wordpress.com/?s=pressure&submit=Search

I hope you enjoy!

Thank you gamergirl :) I made split pea Soup in the pressure cooker tonight - it was so yummy to taste the ham in it. I have been missing meat! LOL I have another week of purees then onto soft food but when I am back to solids I will try out some of your recipes. If you are a cookbook fiend like I am one of my favorite pressure cooker books is "Slow food Fast" by Bob Warden. Split pea recipe is in it but I modify by using only fresh food not some of the canned or processed food he suggests. Plus I added carrots and celery - missing veggies too :)

Sounds delicious and healthy. :P

Thank you gamergirl :) I made split pea Soup in the pressure cooker tonight - it was so yummy to taste the ham in it. I have been missing meat! LOL I have another week of purees then onto soft food but when I am back to solids I will try out some of your recipes. If you are a cookbook fiend like I am one of my favorite pressure cooker books is "Slow Food Fast" by Bob Warden. Split pea recipe is in it but I modify by using only fresh food not some of the canned or processed food he suggests. Plus I added carrots and celery - missing veggies too :)

I bought that book for my son who cooks almost exclusively in his pressure cooker. Not bad for a kid in grad school! So much healthier. I think I might get it for myself too. I barely see the point of a crockpot anymore I must say. There's only one recipe, the chicken curry, that actually does turn out better in the crockpot than the pressure cooker. Other than that, I put food in the crockpot--and then think, I could finish that in 15 mins under pressure rather than cook for 8 hours!

Not bad at all for a kid in grad school! Good to know he is not only able to cook but does it in a healthy way. The thing I like about that cookbook in particular is that the recipes are pretty basic so once you try them as intended it is easy to tweak them to your own taste. I am a cookbook addict though and have several other pressure cooker cookbooks............ I am excited to try some of your recipes out as I really enjoy cooking. My brother often joins us for dinner as he says it is like going to a restaurant. :)