Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 11/4- Major Complications :(

That sounds like one very full band. I have the OLD small 4cc band that was empty at surgery. As back then they didn't fill for 4-6 weeks post op.

How did they manage to get 15+cc in a 14cc band? And why leave so much in at testing?

Please keep accurate records and get hospital records as well, in case you end up billed for 2 bands.

Glad you're recovering now with the right band without an insane fill in it.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry you had to go through all of this! Thank goodness you were in the hospital. What a nightmare for you. I hope you are cozy at home now and able to relax from all the stress and trauma. Be sure to get the surgical reports from both surgeries and make your own notes. Meanwhile, the most important thing is your recovery. Can you take short walks? I think it really helps with the body's repair system. Sending very best wishes -- keep us posted on your progress!

I am wondering what hospital you went to. I am sorry you had such complications. I would hope they would not charge you for both surgeries. After all, the second surgery was due to the surgeon and not you. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Hi friend. We have been in touch and I am glad u are finally home. I know we had the same group and same hospital. There are many surgeons in that group and I think I would call and speak to the chief. Explain what happened, tell her you do not have confidence in your surgeon for the rest of your journey and insist they change ur doc! I have hard great things about her----they will def make you a priority. Don't sit back and not complain. Talk soon.

Wow! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that! I would be super pissed at the surgeon.

I'm so happy to hear you're doing well now.

I hope you are doing better now and have a better journey than you did a start. I am not sure how they left so much in your band, obviously someone was not paying attention. Physicians are human and they do make mistakes. I would think that someone from the hospital administration would have spoke with you about this medical error and complication. I personally do not feel you should be charged for the additional surgery nor charged for the additional stay in the hospital. Our insurance companies should not be charged for errors, this is not a reasonable complication of surgery. Rest and take care of yourself and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

So glad you're doing better!

Best wishes, I am not sure how I feel about a primed band. I have heard about others who have been happy, but I think that a person needs to heal before a fill. That is my personal opinion, not medically trained!!!!

I'm so sorry you have started what should be a fantastic life change with such a terrible experience, hopefully it's now full steam ahead!

That being said the whole thing sounds a little shady to me and you might consider looking into it or getting some legal advice. Although I completely understand that all surgeons are different, they really should be testing you for being able to swallow before you go home. Also, my surgeon puts the band in completely unfilled since you need a few weeks to heal....the fills and restriction will come with time.

Good luck on band number two!!

I know my surgeon used a 10cc band on me, She told me that your size has a lot to do with what size they have to use. I met someone in her office who got theirs on the same day as I did, his starting weight was 120 more than me and he said they had to use a 14cc band on him. So I had to ask how the determine band size and she told me it had to do with body size. Hope all goes well for you now. Sorry you had to go through so much to get to this point, hopefully smooth sailing from here on out. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!

Wow, I'm scratching my head about the amount of Fluid they removed. How did they get that much fluid in the smaller band. I'm guessing there are more than one brand of bands. Mine is the AP band and my surgeon says it comes in a Standard and Large and standard takes 10 ml. Not sure what the large takes. But I'd be asking my surgeon for some more information. You might need it in the future anyways and its good to know. Sorry you went through this and hope everything goes well from here.

Sorry to hear of your ordeal, glad you are feeling better now! I too was banded on 11/4/13. I have had a problem taking in enough liquids. I got dehydrated Friday, and had to get 2 liters of fluids. I feel much better now and am pushing myself to drink the liquids.

Sorry to read all this....How are you doing now??

So sorry about your surgery! I hope you are feeling better! So thankful that your surgery was at the hospital & that you had doctors there that could watch over you! I had mine at a surgery center and I would have been screwed! I hope you feel better soon! Take care!!!

What a nightmare. So sorry you had to go through all of this. Scary! I have my surgery this Thursday and I now know to ask about the size band. Thank you!! Best Wishes for a smooth recovery.