Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gotta Get This Off My Chest

I'm not peeved. Cheryl is right, it’s not always easy for people to express their intent or feelings in writing on a forum such as this. Sometimes people are in a rush, or ill-tempered at something and most of the time the writing is subjective to that end. We read the writing as subjective putting ourselves in the line of fire even if we are not the intended target.

Most people I believe are here to get support and to give support to others. We are all here to share our journey with people of like mind. Even those that jump from forum to forum now with the new site have something to share and something to learn. We have all been overweight at one point and we are all trying to lose weight and get healthy and so many more things as we go about our lives day to day together.

I have never been one to flock to sites like this for any reason, but from this site I have learned a lot and tried to share what I have learned in return that works for me.. Everything I post IS subjective because it's coming from my experience in my own life. It might resonate with you or someone else, or maybe it's way off base and someone might tell me hey lady if you lift your head by a millimeter your whole perspective will change, and maybe I need to hit the brick wall first before I can make that change. It’s been known to happen to me J That is why I am here, and why I am still here.

Yet you are right there are some people out there that believe they sit above the rest, and that is their issue not yours or mine. We let humpty dumpty sit on the wall and that’s his prerogative, and it’s well known that we can’t put him back together again when he falls.

So let them sit there, prattle on about this and that, and I just ignore it. On occasion they have something interesting to contribute and most of the time they are good for a laugh and that’s healthy and healing too. Don’t worry…band together with us and your gonna be A OK.

Sandy, your awesome and I'm glad to know that someone else feels the way I do. I have run across this and I find very arrogant and rude, and immature. So, I second your thoughts/opinions and thank you for speaking up.

I am a little past 4 years post opt. and even when I was new to the site we were 'newbies' back then, don't let it bother you, it's just a term not meant to make any one feel bad, I was proud to be a "newbie." Just read what you want and pass up what you don't want to read, we all get our favorites and the ones we just pass up Good luck to you!!

cheri

Maybe I'm being over sensitive or whatever. I havent been on the board that long, but I've been getting the feeling lately that there are "veterans" on this board (I'm using this term loosely cuz I'm certainly not talking about everybody here) are looking down your noses at those they like to fondly refer to as newbys. Like most of us, I appreciate some good pointers and advice but sort of resent the attitude I see here alot about newbys (and I hate that term) need to be told how to feel or what they are feeling and basically how to get this thing right. There are those on this board, and to name a few, Carolinagirl and Mis73, whose opinion and advice I truly respect and are not among the ones I'm referring to here. There are others that just seem to be trying to impress others with how much they know about the banding process and their ability to lose weight. Newsflash!!! You're no better at it than any of us! After all, you too needed WLS to get your weight under control. Thats why we are here, all of us. I get it! You lost your weight in record time. You did great. Yea!!! I may or may not do everything the same way as you did. Ill try different things until I find what works for me. But, give us a break already. Guess some of us are still in the learning phase. I plan to always be in the learning phase cuz I have a problem with obesity and that may not ever be totally resolved. Like I said, that's why I'm here. I just want you guys to know, that those of you who offer nonjudgemental advice and options, I appreciate it. Those of you who just want to strut your stuff and impress the rest of us "newbys" with your awesome wealth of knowledge about lapbanding..............rants over. Just sayin. Yeah, I agree with you, and if you want to not read these particular "veterans" post you can always block them, so you will never have to read them again. Just go to your Settings -> Ignore Preferences, and add their names and select the various options. It's a life saver on here! Best wishes Sandy :)

I hope I'm not one of those annoying people you speak of, in fact my site given title is now "Bariatric Master" which is a FAR CRY from where I am.....I am 8 months out, I'm still in the newly wed phase as I call it, I'm still getting fills, and learning the ropes, and one of the "newbies" I guess. At the same time, I come to this site almost every day, to listen, to advise, to learn. It keeps me motivated to talk to others like me. Yes, I am one of the lucky ones that has lost more weight than what is "statistical" but I don't feel I'm any better than anyone. I do feel that I have been making some good choices and should feel proud of those choices and help others by inspiring them to make those same choices. You will see eventually that sometimes you will read a post that is so ridiculous it's impossible not to sound patronizing in your advice. Example:"I"m a few days out and just so hungry, do you think I can just eat food even though I'm not supposed to?" Or another favorite of mine "I was just banded this week, what should I be eating?"....or the woman who's port stuck out her body and they cut it off with scissors....the list goes on and on.

Good luck on your own journey and take what you read here for what it is. Kinda like e-mail or text messaging you can't read emotion or sarcasm or rudness in the words sometimes.

I Must admit I have to laugh about the names. (Based on how many posts one has done. ..) I have seen pre-ops ends up with many hundreds of posts prior to their surgery. This may give some the opinion they have been doing this a long time. It's always fair to ask one when their surgery was. Newbies or veterans- we all have questions some times. And newbies often have the same questions. And veterans sometimes forget the early things like what could meds to take.

It's all good. We are all here for the improvement of our health. Despite the type of surgery or how long its been. It's one day,one step, one moment at a time.

Maybe I'm being over sensitive or whatever. I havent been on the board that long, but I've been getting the feeling lately that there are "veterans" on this board (I'm using this term loosely cuz I'm certainly not talking about everybody here) are looking down your noses at those they like to fondly refer to as newbys. Like most of us, I appreciate some good pointers and advice but sort of resent the attitude I see here alot about newbys (and I hate that term) need to be told how to feel or what they are feeling and basically how to get this thing right. There are those on this board, and to name a few, Carolinagirl and Mis73, whose opinion and advice I truly respect and are not among the ones I'm referring to here. There are others that just seem to be trying to impress others with how much they know about the banding process and their ability to lose weight. Newsflash!!! You're no better at it than any of us! After all, you too needed WLS to get your weight under control. Thats why we are here, all of us. I get it! You lost your weight in record time. You did great. Yea!!! I may or may not do everything the same way as you did. Ill try different things until I find what works for me. But, give us a break already. Guess some of us are still in the learning phase. I plan to always be in the learning phase cuz I have a problem with obesity and that may not ever be totally resolved. Like I said, that's why I'm here. I just want you guys to know, that those of you who offer nonjudgemental advice and options, I appreciate it. Those of you who just want to strut your stuff and impress the rest of us "newbys" with your awesome wealth of knowledge about lapbanding..............rants over. Just sayin.

I wish I could "double like" this. My journey started four years ago today, and the worst part of it has been some of the posts/attitudes I have found in the place I go to for help. Not reaching my goal in a timely fashion is hard to take, but reading how Miss Susie Special lost 140 lbs in 5 months by being perfect sends me up the wall! Pat me on the back when I get it right and reach out a hand to lift me up when I get it wrong. When it comes to anything medical my body can usually find an alternate method of dealing with it and get unexpected results. I can eat some of a biscuit but an egg makes me double over in pain. We are each a work in progress, everyone just needs to remember that.