Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went the self pay route and had my sleeve done 10/14. I was told that with self pay I would pay approx 30% of the actual cost. Thought okay I will be able to swing the $12,000. Today I get a call from my husband who was in total shock, hospital bill came in at $27,000. That's without the surgeons or anesthesia bill I am not sure what to do, in total disbelief right now.

I was told that with self pay I would pay approx 30% of the actual cost. Thought okay I will be able to swing the 12' date='000.[/quote']

It sounds kind of odd to me (writing from Australia), as I'd assume self-pay means you pay the "actual cost" (who else would pay the difference???). But it sounds like you had a basis for believing you would be up for a $12k bill - what was that? If it involves the hospital mentioning/estimating costs or others sleeved recently at that price, perhaps you could approach the hospital for a review of the costs?

I'm so sorry!! God that huge! My total bill was 28K$ However my insurance was covering a big part. I was us under the impression I was going to pay 4000$ POSS 5. My shock came in a 12,000$ bill a month later. I do understand. I would call the financing department and find out why they did not adjust your amount. I was told at the surgeons office it cost 17,000$ I however didn't think about the hospitals charges. Yikes

Edited by sophiepants

Try not to panic, easier said than done I know. 27k sounds like the amount billed to insurance. Usually insurance pays around 1/2 of that. Cash pts can usually cut down to 1/2 or 1/3 doff what they billed

My total bill to my insurance for my surgery was $63,000. I don't know how much my insurance actually paid everyone (hospital, surgeon? Anesthesia etc). Thankfully all I had to pay was my hospital admission copay which was $250.

Try not to panic, easier said than done I know. 27k sounds like the amount billed to insurance. Usually insurance pays around 1/2 of that. Cash pts can usually cut down to 1/2 or 1/3 doff what they billed

Seems a very odd system to my Aussie eyes... More like an auction than a fee-for-service arrangement. Must be incredibly frustrating for self-payers.

I am told insurance gets billed around 50K for everything. The hospitals have agreements that the will pay x for surgery. You usually have to pay the difference of the negotiated price...not the difference of the actual cost. I'm very fortunate. Our insurance pays 100%. No cost to me.

Cash pay usually gets a discount. I wonder if you got cash price billed from surgeon. Did you negotiate with with hospital and others that billed you for a cash price? I would call everyone you got a bill from and ask for cash price.

Good luck to you!

Speak to the billing department, and ask them if they will honor a contract rate with you. Most services are deeply discounted on what ends up being payed to insurance. Say a lab costs &125, but the contract rate says the provider will be reimbursed only $14. That is what they would get from the insurance company, and usually they will honor the request if you ask specifically for it as a cash patient. I don't know why it doesn't done automatically, but it isn't. Like you can afford to pay more for the same exact service because insurance is not covering!

If that doesn't work, ask to speak to a manager. Go up the line. Involve your surgeon, his patient care coordinator, or social work if you have to. Someone should be able to help you. Good luck!

My cash pay price is $18,032 for everything - $3500 surgeon fees, $1500 anesthesiologist, and $13,032 for the hospital fees. This covers all pre-op testing, surgeon visits for the next year, lifetime access to the nutritionist, exercise physiologist, an support groups. Your amount seems really high - did you get everything in writing beforehand?