Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How about Quinoa?

Does anyone like Quinoa? I like it but is it good for you post sleeve surgery? If you like if what are some good recipes that you enjoy?

Maybe I did something wrong when I made it but I found it so bitter. I boiled them in broth, added scallions, peppers and corn and that didnt help much.

I like quinoa and I really love farro. I don't eat much in the way of grains now, but I feel like they are both good, healthy choices for when I do. I cook them most often to finish up leftovers. I usually cook the quinoa or farro in either chicken or beef broth & add in leftover chopped up meat, whatever veggies I have on hand, & finish with a little grated cheese on top.

I add it to a lot of different foods.....turkey meatloaf, spaghetti, stir fry, etc. I'll boil it first, then add it in. I love to eat it for dinner at night when I've worked out that day. It's a good complex carb with protein.....good food in my opinion!

Maybe I did something wrong when I made it but I found it so bitter. I boiled them in broth, added scallions, peppers and corn and that didnt help much.

I boil them put in the fridge to cool dice fresh tomatoes and cucumber and put on the quinoa with a little zesty itailan dressing and its so good

I love quinoa, farro, and all sorts of grains, but I too have set them aside for now. Can't get them in, the Protein fills me up. Hope to find a place for them in my diet again after I reach goal.

You need to put the quinoa in a skillet and brown it a little. there is a oil on the outside of the quinoa that can give you the bitter taste you encountered.

Also it needs to be rinsed first. Something about as it sits in the package it makes a slight dust and that's what's bitter. Rinse it, toast it, then boil. I use it in lots of recipes that call for rice and even some that are for polenta.

Also it needs to be rinsed first. Something about as it sits in the package it makes a slight dust and that's what's bitter. Rinse it, toast it, then boil. I use it in lots of recipes that call for rice and even some that are for polenta.

That's true forgot to mention that.

Well right now I am 2.5 weeks post op and have another week and a half of liquids. Then I will give it another shot. Thank you both for the tips

They sell it already made at costco. It's in the section with the sandwhiches and the pre-made packaged meals.

A lady I know swears by it. She loves it. I haven't brought myself to try it <_< . I've walked by it a couple of times and once even put it in my cart.....but I couldn't do it :huh: .

Quinoa is delicious! I love it. My favorite recipe is meatless stuffed peppers.

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers (Serving = 1/4 recipe)

Ancient Harvest Quinoa's recipe for Traditional Quinoa Stuffed Peppers.

Minutes to Cook: 30

Number of Servings: 4

Ingredients

1 c. Quinoa

2 c. Water

4 large or 6 med Green Peppers (tops & seeds removed)

1 medium Onion, diced

1/2 lbs. fresh Mushrooms, sliced

2 Tbsp. Butter

1 - 28 oz can Tomatoes, diced, reserve juice

2 cloves Garlic, crushed

1 - 12 oz jar Mexican Salsa

2 Tbsp. Dry Sherry

10 oz Mozzarella cheese, shredded

Directions

Preheat oven to 325-degrees. Cook quinoa per package directions. Steam peppers until soft but not limp.

In large skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter. Add tomatoes (reserve the juice). Add garlic and salsa. Cook over medium heat for 10 min. Add sherry and simmer 10 min. Fold in quinoa.

Place peppers in baking dish and fill with quinoa mixture. Thin remainder of mixture with reserved juice and pour around peppers.

Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over peppers and bake in 325-degree oven for 30 - 35 minutes.

Number of Servings: 4

It might been the way it was cooked but I tried it a couple weeks ago in the cafe where I work. I didn't care for the taste or texture. I might buy a box and try cooking it at home and see if that makes a difference. I'd love another source of Protein. Currently can only tolerate chicken which is getting old.

I made quinoa turkey artichoke carmelized onion burgers and they were very good!

I LOVE QUINOA!!! I eat it constantly! As a cold salad, as a warm dish, in meatloaf, it's just good!! It comes in black and red too!!

My favorite recipe is edemame quinoa. I just came up with this on my own but it's really good.

First I boil the quinoa in chicken broth and drain it and set it aside. (I don't rinse it cause I like it warm) in a suate pan I sautée garlic, white onions, red pepper until soft. I then add the edemame into the sautée pan with halved cherry tomatoes. I toss all the items together with sea salt and coarse black pepper and granulated garlic. (The more garlic the better) then pour everything including the infused EVOO over the drained quinoa. Add a small packaged of herbed feta, I toss it all up, add another drizzle of EVOO and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

The warmth of the quinoa and the sautée makes the feta soft and delicious!!! If you don't like feta, use goat cheese or fees grated parmesan

It's delicious cold the next day too!!

YUM!!!!!.