Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all! Ok I was sleeved may 2012 with 75 lb loss. Yay! However I have not lost in 5 long months and have in fact GAINED 20 lbs. :( I'm extremely mad that I let myself do this. What does this mean? Have I ruined my sleeve? Is there way back from this? Is the sleeve still there lol?? Y'all know what I mean! Help!

Your stomach is only going to stretch so far if the surgery was done correctly. Anyone can gain weight by eating the wrong things and eating too often. Go back to basics: get the junk out of the house NOW. Stock up on heathy, nutritious foods you enjoy. Weigh yourself at least once a week. I weigh daily, first thing when I get up. Plan your meals. Protein first. Monitor your Fluid intake and be sure to get in 64 ozs. a day.

You can do it!

Lynda

Hello all! Ok I was sleeved may 2012 with 75 lb loss. Yay! However I have not lost in 5 long months and have in fact GAINED 20 lbs. :( I'm extremely mad that I let myself do this. What does this mean? Have I ruined my sleeve? Is there way back from this? Is the sleeve still there lol?? Y'all know what I mean! Help!

go back to basics, what you did to lose that 75 pounds. This is what I do that works for me. I cal it my dashboard, the numbers tell me if something needs to be changed.

1) I weigh every morning

2) I weigh and/or measure my food

3) I log my food on my fitness pal

4) I attend a real live support group

I'm almost 3.5 years out and I've been maintaining for almost 3 years. I can't imagine not doing these things. They're as natural to me as breathing. My new normal, my new life. For me, there is a fine line between maintenance, gaining and losing. I must never become complacent. I have a comfort zone, a 3.5 pound comfort zone. If I'm up about the high end of that zone, I just cut back calories by 100 - 150 for a few days and it's gone. You can do this!

Edited by NtvTxn

go back to basics' date=' what you did to lose that 75 pounds. This is what I do that works for me. I cal it my dashboard, the numbers tell me if something needs to be changed.

1) I weigh every morning

2) I weigh and/or measure my food

3) I log my food on my fitness pal

4) I attend a real live support group

I'm almost 3.5 years out and I've been maintaining for almost 3 years. I can't imagine not doing these things. They're as natural to me as breathing. My new normal, my new life. For me, there is a fine line between maintenance, gaining and losing. I must never become complacent. I have a comfort zone, a 3.5 pound comfort zone. If I'm up about the high end of that zone, I just cut back calories by 100 - 150 for a few days and it's gone. You can do this![/quote']

What kind of support group do you attend? My surgeon's office has a once a month group that is not well attended and kind of lame. I could use more live support. I'm in Chicago if anyone has any suggestions.

I sure hope i can do this! I started working out after work today and I just downloaded myfitnesspal. I'm going to really try. I want to lose 50 more pounds!!! I think that being able to communicate with y'all will really help!

Kelly, I completely understand where you are coming from and how easy it is to regain the weight.

I just passed my 3 year "surgiversary" (wrote all about it here)

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/97887-3-years-ago-today-i-had-the-vsg/

But basically for me, personally, it's quite easy to gain weight and so so so hard (and not to mention slow!) to lose it. I regained about 20ish pounds in 2012 from basically March until Dec. (well actually into Jan of this year) and so far this year I've lost about -12lbs of that regain. So that just goes to show you how supreme the effort needs to be in order to lose the regain.

BUT...the good news is that YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Start tracking your food, and I'm sure you will be surprised to learn that calorically-speaking you eat more than you *think* you do. And another big thing is that you will probably find that you are not eating as much as a "normal" non-surgically-altered person. At my *worst* the days when I was really snacking and eating a lot, I would top out at about 1,600-1,900 calories. And sadly, yep that is all I needed to eat in order to gain weight. In order for me personally to lose I need to eat much much less calories. My zone is to not go over 1,400ish calories.

The other good news is that you are HERE! You can stop the regain right now and start making decisions based on getting the scale moving in the right direction.

Working out is definitely something I encourage everyone to do. And working out to sweaty exhaustion will also make a huge difference in your physical shape. I was stuck for a long time in the mentality that "yay I worked out today" even if it wasn't a HARD workout, I was happy that I was doing something. But now I shoot for more than something and try for some definite goals.

Hang in there and check in here often...it certainly has helped me!

Have you heard about the 5 day pouch test? I haven't done it myself, but I've heard it helps WLS patients discover that sensation of restriction that can be lost when we get farther out in our post-op lives..

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

I sure hope i can do this! I started working out after work today and I just downloaded myfitnesspal. I'm going to really try. I want to lose 50 more pounds!!! I think that being able to communicate with y'all will really help!

MFP really helps me to keep on track. No tracking? Weight gain! I also gained 22 pounds over around a 9 month period... I just got it back off and it took me 5 months! I used the 5:2....You can do it! Protein first, no Water with meals, and get moving girl.... and oh yes... hang out here for support!

Kelly, I completely understand where you are coming from and how easy it is to regain the weight. I just passed my 3 year "surgiversary" (wrote all about it here) http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/97887-3-years-ago-today-i-had-the-vsg/ But basically for me, personally, it's quite easy to gain weight and so so so hard (and not to mention slow!) to lose it. I regained about 20ish pounds in 2012 from basically March until Dec. (well actually into Jan of this year) and so far this year I've lost about -12lbs of that regain. So that just goes to show you how supreme the effort needs to be in order to lose the regain. BUT...the good news is that YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Start tracking your food, and I'm sure you will be surprised to learn that calorically-speaking you eat more than you *think* you do. And another big thing is that you will probably find that you are not eating as much as a "normal" non-surgically-altered person. At my *worst* the days when I was really snacking and eating a lot, I would top out at about 1,600-1,900 calories. And sadly, yep that is all I needed to eat in order to gain weight. In order for me personally to lose I need to eat much much less calories. My zone is to not go over 1,400ish calories. The other good news is that you are HERE! You can stop the regain right now and start making decisions based on getting the scale moving in the right direction. Working out is definitely something I encourage everyone to do. And working out to sweaty exhaustion will also make a huge difference in your physical shape. I was stuck for a long time in the mentality that "yay I worked out today" even if it wasn't a HARD workout, I was happy that I was doing something. But now I shoot for more than something and try for some definite goals. Hang in there and check in here often...it certainly has helped me!

So true!

I have started exercising and keeping a log of what I eat. I stopped focusing on Protein so I will start that again also. I hope that making these changes, I will see weight come off quickly. I don't want it to take a long time. Surely the sleeve will speed things up some!

MFP really helps me to keep on track. No tracking? Weight gain! I also gained 22 pounds over around a 9 month period... I just got it back off and it took me 5 months! I used the 5:2....You can do it! Protein first' date=' no Water with meals, and get moving girl.... and oh yes... hang out here for support![/quote']

You're back to your goal?! That's awesome. You have worked so hard!

You're back to your goal?! That's awesome. You have worked so hard!

I have lost all the regain and a few more, so I am at the high end of my "bounce" range-goal! Thanks!

I agree with everyone here. You can still lose the weight, just get back to the basics of Protein first, veggies, and a few starches. The weight will come off, it will just take more time. Time to keep yourself focused now.......you can do this! :P

My provider recommended a two week liquid diet to jump start my weightloss again.

Have you checked out the boot camp diet?

It's basically the first stage of the Atkins diet.. The weight really comes off if you follow it . The best part is it will get rid of carb cravings. It's posted right here in the vet's forum. I found this way easier than going back to liquids.

I have started exercising and keeping a log of what I eat. I stopped focusing on Protein so I will start that again also. I hope that making these changes, I will see weight come off quickly. I don't want it to take a long time. Surely the sleeve will speed things up some!

Kelly I don't want to discourage you at ALL! But truthfully for me personally, losing the regain has been painfully slow. I know for some of my other sleeve sisters who have regained, and LOST the regain, it was fairly quick. But I never was one to be a quick loser, so this is kind of par for the course over my whole journey.

And don't forget that this is a journey. PLEASE DON'T give up if the lbs are going as quickly as you would like. Start making the changes you KNOW you need to make in order to get the most benefit out of your sleeve. And stay with it. I've been chipping away at my regain for 11 months now and have lost about -12 out of 20. So that is just how painfully slow it has been for me. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to NEVER GIVE UP! Hang in there!