Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Slow Weight Loss-Depressed!

Hi All,

I was sleeved on August 28th. I lost 32 pounds before surgery and 37 since surgery for a total of 69 pounds, and I am still very disappointed. I lost most of my 37 the first few weeks after surgery. I did hit the dreaded 3 week stall, but I am so slow at losing and I was over 300 pounds when I started, so I still have a lot to lose. I would be happy with another 100 to 120 (not sure if it will ever happen). I am eating so much less than before surgery obviously, and I walk a mile to a mile and a half as many nights as possible, I try to make sure I get 5 nights a week in. I do have days where I don’t get all of my meals and Water in and I am not sure if that is my problem or not, but I am so frustrated with the slow weight loss. I am not giving up, but sometimes I really feel like that. My nutritionist does not want us eating any carbs, and once in a while I will have a very tiny scoop of potatoes or half of an English muffin when I have eggs. I am not perfect, but I feel for what I am putting into my body compared to before this surgery and how much walking I am doing that there is no way I shouldn’t be losing more weight. I do know some days I am not doing well with it because I won’t get all 3 meals in and those days I really struggle with water too. I am two months out now and very fearful that I am not going to lose a lot more weight. The scale has been stuck again for a 3 week period other than a 2 lb loss. I was just wondering if anyone else is going through this and if so how they are dealing with it? Or if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

You have lost in two months what it has taken me SIX months to lose! So at this rate of loss u should be down well over 100lbs at six months.... I think that's pretty darn good! Try to look at the end result. We didn't get this big overnight and even those of us who r losing slower( compared to others) will reach our goals ...it just may take a bit longer.

Try not to get discouraged( need to take my own advise there, lol). Best to u!

(I started at 270 am 5'2" and currently am at 201.6. Surgery date was april4th )

It can be frustrating!

Did your NUT really say no carbs? Protein first, but no carbs is not right. Your body needs carbs to function correctly. Without carbs there is no Fiber, asking for Constipation which will most definitely slow weight loss.

I can certainly understand...I had surgery 6/25 and have lost 41 pounds. I hesitate to say "only" because....41 pounds in that time frame is something I would never have achieved before. However, I am frustrated that despite eating the right way and exercising it isn't coming off a little faster. I am losing inches and clothing sizes and people have noticed...so that is a plus. I'm just gonna keep working the program and taking the small victories.

Hi All' date=' I was sleeved on August 28[sup']th[/sup]. I lost 32 pounds before surgery and 37 since surgery for a total of 69 pounds, and I am still very disappointed. I lost most of my 37 the first few weeks after surgery. I did hit the dreaded 3 week stall, but I am so slow at losing and I was over 300 pounds when I started, so I still have a lot to lose. I would be happy with another 100 to 120 (not sure if it will ever happen). I am eating so much less than before surgery obviously, and I walk a mile to a mile and a half as many nights as possible, I try to make sure I get 5 nights a week in. I do have days where I don’t get all of my meals and Water in and I am not sure if that is my problem or not, but I am so frustrated with the slow weight loss. I am not giving up, but sometimes I really feel like that. My nutritionist does not want us eating any carbs, and once in a while I will have a very tiny scoop of potatoes or half of an English muffin when I have eggs. I am not perfect, but I feel for what I am putting into my body compared to before this surgery and how much walking I am doing that there is no way I shouldn’t be losing more weight. I do know some days I am not doing well with it because I won’t get all 3 meals in and those days I really struggle with Water too. I am two months out now and very fearful that I am not going to lose a lot more weight. The scale has been stuck again for a 3 week period other than a 2 lb loss. I was just wondering if anyone else is going through this and if so how they are dealing with it? Or if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Wow I could have written this myself. My surgery was September 27. I started at 410. I lost 25 pre op and only 27 pounds since surgery. My total is 52 pounds loss. I am walking 1 to 2 miles 5 days a week. Also not eating carbs. My weight has stalled for over 2 weeks. I added a few carbs in on Saturday and lost 3 pounds since then. I have a major problem with Constipation. I also lost 20 pounds with in the first 2 weeks if surgery. I seem to be the slowest loser ever. I also struggle with getting my water in. I just try to stay positive and think when I have in my life lost 52 in 2 months? I could not have done this on my own. I would have already given up by now because the weight loss is slow. I just keep telling myself I am eating 1/10 of what I used to eat in a day. The weight has to come off eventually. Just try to stay positive. Maybe we are slower loser. But we are losing. And we will lose 100 pounds by six months!!!!!

Keep walking (increase distance and/or speed) and you need to make sure that you eat ALL of your meals, if not, you could slow your metabolism and this is probably how you got heavy in the first place. You probably waited until you were overly hungry and then ate too much at one time. Don't let your body store the carbs that you are eating, eat the way your surgeon & nutritionist tells you to. Only you can make this work, and it sounds to me like you already know what you're doing may be the wrong thing to do for you. Everyone is going to have different results, but there are definitely things that you can do to increase your chances of success with the tool that we're given. I prefer to lose slower, but I didn't have that much to lose to begin with. No one ever told me that this was going to be an easy way out of morbid obesity, it's like a marriage, it takes a lot of work, planning and commitment. Take control as only you can! :) You WILL get there!

Hi I think your doing great yes we all wish for big numbers but im just over 4 months and it has s l o w e d down considerably. I was told no carbs as well but if i eat them I use sprouted grain ezikiel bread its low glycemic doesnt spike the insulin im not avertising them but ive done my homework so it comes in Pasta and bread if i want carbs i have healthy ones. Its not a perfect science but you have to see what works for you. Dont be afraid to experiment try new things its a blank canvas try a different work out walk 5 minutes run 5 minutes try you will be surprised at what you find. Good luck!

That's not slow at all!

I think that you're expecting massive results on the scale because you've made massive changes in your life. But in truth, you just need to readjust your expectations. You're losing three pounds a week and that's not counting your large pre-op loss.

It takes a while for the body to adjust. And sadly, some of us just lose more slowly than others. It doesn't seem to matter what your starting stats were sometimes. But as someone else posted, you've lost in just a few months what I lost in nine months.

Hang in there. The only thing that's going to stop you from achieving your goals here is you. If you keep doing the things you need to do to lose, you'll see results even if they happen slower than you'd like.

And I agree wholeheartedly with gman there. You NEED a balanced diet. And quite frankly, not eating enough carbs makes me feel deprived and I lack energy. If I feel deprived, I expect instant gratification because I feel that I'm sacrificing and I'm battling my desire to eat. Carbs are not the enemy. You should introduce some good quality grains and some produce. I doubt it will slow you down. It might even help you lose! But it will definitely help the mental side of the weight loss struggle and it will help you stay regular and avoid complications from that!

Good luck,

~Cheri

That's not slow at all!

I think that you're expecting massive results on the scale because you've made massive changes in your life. But in truth, you just need to readjust your expectations. You're losing three pounds a week and that's not counting your large pre-op loss.

It takes a while for the body to adjust. And sadly, some of us just lose more slowly than others. It doesn't seem to matter what your starting stats were sometimes. But as someone else posted, you've lost in just a few months what I lost in nine months.

Hang in there. The only thing that's going to stop you from achieving your goals here is you. If you keep doing the things you need to do to lose, you'll see results even if they happen slower than you'd like.

And I agree wholeheartedly with gman there. You NEED a balanced diet. And quite frankly, not eating enough carbs makes me feel deprived and I lack energy. If I feel deprived, I expect instant gratification because I feel that I'm sacrificing and I'm battling my desire to eat. Carbs are not the enemy. You should introduce some good quality grains and some produce. I doubt it will slow you down. It might even help you lose! But it will definitely help the mental side of the weight loss struggle and it will help you stay regular and avoid complications from that!

Good luck,

~Cheri

Well said!

Folks, check the join date on Cheri's post...Dec. 2009! You want a long range viewpoint? How about 4 years? :)

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the comments and advice. I have just been in a stall for a few weeks now. I am going nuts. I just feel for what I am putting into my body, there should be some results on a weekly basis. The first stall I had around the 3 week mark at least I was feeling the difference in my clothes. This time not as much with the clothes. I do have carbs sometimes, I had part of a baked potato with my dinner last night-tasted really good-hopefully it doesn't screw me up more than I already am. I am going to try to stay positive! Thanks again! :)