Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minimizing the potential for excess skin.

There is a lot of talk about excess skin and plastic surgery post goal. What are the best practices for reducing the chance of having lots of excess skin? What are some of the less obvious factors that contribute to excess skin? Has anyone lost 80lbs or more and not had any issues with skin? What can really be done during the weight loss to help? Are there any creams, potions, special clothes, witch doctors or spells that have worked for you? Do share....

There is a lot of talk about excess skin and plastic surgery post goal. What are the best practices for reducing the chance of having lots of excess skin? What are some of the less obvious factors that contribute to excess skin? Has anyone lost 80lbs or more and not had any issues with skin? What can really be done during the weight loss to help? Are there any creams' date=' potions, special clothes, witch doctors or spells that have worked for you? Do share....[/quote']

I still have 2 weeks until my surgery but my friend said she used goat soap and she has no loose skin. I do notice mine is tighter when I use it.

I am 1 week post op as of tomorrow. I purchased Hylauranic Acid supplements which helps with skin elasticity. Also, moisturizing your skin right after the shower while your skin is still damp is the best. It traps the Water in your skin keeping it soft and supple. Frequent exfoliations helps rid of dead skin cells and you don't have to spend a fortune doing so; take a plastic bowl and add Sugar in The Raw then add Olive oil until you have a nice paste. Use in the shower three to four times a week. Be careful, it gets very slippery in the shower!

It really depends on your age, how long you've been overweight and genetics!

Some people have what I call "tight fat" which clearly will reduce down with little sagging. If you're like me and already have "loose fat" or already have sagging skin, it ain't going anywhere!!

The majority of the solution is genetics, age and how much weight is lost. The older a person is, the less elasticity the skin has.

There is a lot of talk about excess skin and plastic surgery post goal. What are the best practices for reducing the chance of having lots of excess skin? What are some of the less obvious factors that contribute to excess skin? Has anyone lost 80lbs or more and not had any issues with skin? What can really be done during the weight loss to help? Are there any creams, potions, special clothes, witch doctors or spells that have worked for you? Do share....

Jared from Subway lost around 250lbs in one year, and had no excess skin, but he was in his early 20's. Age seems to be a huge factor. I saw him give a talk once...someone asked him about it, and he said "it just shrunk back into place."

While I wasn't as large as him, I'm 32 and my skin will get loose for a couple of weeks and then snap back into place...so far so good.

Someone on another thread about this same issue said they used some skin firming lotion you can buy at the stores. I bought a bottle of something skin firming, and plan to use it daily once my incisions are all healed up. I'm only two weeks post op and I can see my belly getting wrinkly already.

Jared from Subway lost around 250lbs in one year' date=' and had no excess skin, but he was in his early 20's. Age seems to be a huge factor. I saw him give a talk once...someone asked him about it, and he said "it just shrunk back into place." While I wasn't as large as him, I'm 32 and my skin will get loose for a couple of weeks and then snap back into place...so far so good.[/quote']

I guess we all have to start eating subway sandwiches...

I guess we all have to start eating subway sandwiches...

Well, I stay away from them because of the bread...too much carbs for me since I'm diabetic in remission. But I think it was his age more than the Subway that helped him not have loose skin. Also he walked a ton...he was a student at IU Bloomington when he did all that, and he walked all over their huge (but very beautiful) University campus while he was doing his "Subway diet" thing.

I've lost 71 lbs so far and have been lucky enough to not have any loose skin yet. I moisurize every day with a good lotion and try to use a sugar scrub every other day.

Thanks for this thread I'm 23 been over weight for as long as I can imagine I was 300 by 16 & 350 by 18 HW 372 SW 359 tomorrow my 1st pre op visit & I see where weight loss has taken me everyone especially my mother keeps telling me I'm young it bounce back & while I'm praying that it happens I'm still afraid I have loose skin on my arms, inner thighs, back & tummy I'm taking any advice & putting it to use b/c if insurance doesn't cover any skin removal surgery out of pocket not option until a few years

Add a splash of vanilla extract to the sugar and olive oil paste for a yummy sent. Women in my family have been doing this mix for forever and have amazing skin. Even now (pre op) I get a lot of compliments on my skin and its all due to a once weekly sugar, olive oil and vanilla extract scrub. Careful not to slip in the tub. Also makes shaving a breeze.

Add a splash of vanilla extract to the sugar and olive oil paste for a yummy sent. Women in my family have been doing this mix for forever and have amazing skin. Even now (pre op) I get a lot of compliments on my skin and its all due to a once weekly sugar' date=' olive oil and vanilla extract scrub. Careful not to slip in the tub. Also makes shaving a breeze.[/quote']

So just make a paste with a splash of vanilla extract, olive oil, sugar, and just scrub all your body with it before you shower? I just want to make sure I have it correct lol. Thank you.

So just make a paste with a splash of vanilla extract' date=' olive oil, sugar, and just scrub all your body with it before you shower? I just want to make sure I have it correct lol. Thank you.[/quote']

I'd wet your skin down before but that's just me. I also take Vitamin e plus all my other Vitamins. And st. Ives skin firming lotion