Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got My Date...but...

I had this happen. I asked for another doctor in the practice. Lo and behold, they scheduled me sooner.

Whatever happens, this is just a bump in the road. The prize is long-term. I know that is crappy advice when you have been on liquids for so long. Hang in there.

I had this happen. I asked for another doctor in the practice. Lo and behold' date=' they scheduled me sooner.

Whatever happens, this is just a bump in the road. The prize is long-term. I know that is crappy advice when you have been on liquids for so long. Hang in there.[/quote']

He said he is afraid he will have to open me instead or laproscopic, which I dont get since I weigh less now than last time. I am telling him I want to do it on the 19th.

The same office has already warned me that my surgery might not be available until next year because of all the office staff holiday vacations

It sounds like he wants to shrink your liver some more. Due to the location of the surgery, they need to work around your liver. You do not want an open surgery. That opens you up to more complications and a longer recovery.

I am sure you and your surgeon will figure out what works best for you. Wishing you the very best of luck!

He said he is afraid he will have to open me instead or laproscopic' date=' which I dont get since I weigh less now than last time. I am telling him I want to do it on the 19th.[/quote']

Does it have anything to do with shrinking your liver more? That's a part of what the pre-op diet is for. I was told that if the liver hasn't shrunk enough the surgery will have to be open instead of laparoscopic. I just wish he'd given you an explanation; you deserve that.

I agree with those above... if you have to do 4 more weeks for your safety and to NOT have an open procedure then as much as it sucks I wouldn't even think twice. You will only regret it for 4 weeks

Ok' date=' so my surgeons office called today and scheduled me for Nov. 19th. I have been on the pre-op diet for 5 weeks and have lost 35 pounds. I still have two more weeks until surgery and am sure I can lose the other 15 pounds the doctor wants. Well my surgeon called me tonight and wants to push it out even further. I broke down jn tears because I don't think I have it in me to do the pre-op for four more weeks. I just want this done already.[/quote']

Don't get two down hearted. I had to push my surgery back twice. It broke my heart. I cried. I was a hot dang mess. I even told them the second time that I was done trying to schedule something. To just forget. Well, of course I went back on that. I know it feels like a world of set back but in the long run it will be ok. I was cleared in August and pushed back until 10-24. Trust me. Those 3 months felt like forever, but now that it's done. I could care less about my set backs. For now, go get you a taco and keep your head up. It will all be worth it soon.

Did you speak to him yet???

Remember it's to shrink your liver to make the surgery less dangerous. I to thought I was going to die having to do it for four weeks and the I cancelled. I decided I wanted sleeve and not bypass. I have to go through that hell again in four weeks! Hang in there! It's for the best! Everyone says that the pre opt diet is the worst part of the whole process. Your in the home stretch! You can do this!

Less sugars makes the liver shrink, which makes surgery easier.

He's most likely doing this for safety reasons.

I know it's hard, but it'll all be worth it, when you start losing the pounds and feel better and healthier.

Hang in there!!

I think the only reason he wants to change it is because he is going on vacation that week. He said he could do it, but the more weight I lose thr better. Ummm...isn't that why I am having surgery?

I think that's nonsense. Ask if he can open up another surgery date before his vacation and move your surgery up instead of back.

4 weeks pre op is pretty insane. I did 3 weeks and it was like an exorcism. Since there is no way for them to tell that your liver has shrunk until they get in there, the surgeon is not basing the decision on that reason. A lot of doctors dont require a pre op at all, some require 3 days Clear liquids, some require 2 weeks of low carb, some want 3 or more weeks of liquid Protein. I think it is cruel and unusual. There is no supporting research showing a pre op diet contributes to less post op complications or problems. It is purely anecdotal. Part of the problem is this surgery is just now becoming standardized, after being considered experimental, or part 1 of a two part surgery for so long.

I don't know what I would do if I were you. I barely survived the pre op diet and other people around me definitely suffered the consequences as well. It was definitely harder than the surgery. I guess I would make my case for going with the original date. Maybe your surgeon would work with you on a 'break' from the liquids if you did low carb/ no carb for a while. I donno, but it makes me mad. Good luck to you.

I don't know you but I'm proud of you. I can't imagine being on a preop for so long only to hear such craptacular news... You are a very strong person to have already been doing so well on one. I can tell you that you don't want it to be an open surgery if you can avoid it. The recovery time goes wayyyy up and your comfort level is soo much worse. I have had 2 laproscopic surgeries and a C-section.. i'll take the smaller incision recovery any day of the week.. Stay strong. I am pre-sleeve but pray it's able to be done laproscopically. Good luck.

I think the only reason he wants to change it is because he is going on vacation that week. He said he could do it, but the more weight I lose thr better. Ummm...isn't that why I am having surgery?

So, yeah. The answer is a NO. Firm and polite. NO.