Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shopping but not buying

Do any of y'all - not quite at goal- find it difficult to buy clothing?? I've been shopping like crazy, but buying nothing. I finally cleaned out my closet last week (which was much more emotional than I thought it'd be), and I now have a grand total of 3 short sleeve shirts, one long sleeve shirt, and one jean (which is either being worn or washed).

Yesterday my husband brought me shopping and forced- yes, FORCED (LOL) me to buy clothing. I bought a total of 4 pieces of clothing- which somehow it still messed with my head. (One being a flattering pencil skirt from The Limited in size 12- 12!! I've never in my life seen that size in my closet!)

I guess at size 12, I shouldn't still be trying to wear 18s. LOL.

You go, girl! I've dropped a size (2.5 weeks post-op) but am obviously not going to buy stuff every time I drop a size or two either...so I'm focusing on find skirts (with either drawstring or elastic waists) and riding our my too-big pants, in the mean time. Thankfully, I held onto my "skinny" jeans from four years ago but they are destined to drown me too in a couple weeks. lol It's surreal, isn't it...when you realize you've not "that size" anymore? I haven't been smaller than a 16 in 17 years!!!! And in about another 20 lbs, I'll be in the 14 range (depending on what cut the pants are, of course). :)

Keep it up!

Same thing here. Haven't bought anything new yet. I'm halfway to goal and guess I either don't think I deserve it yet or.... Still partly think it's ( the pounds. Not style. Been out if style WAY too long anyways. Lol ) gonna come back.

I find myself wandering into the plus size section- and then getting redirected by some sales associate- which always makes me laugh.

I've held out on not buying for as long as possible with the exception of undergarments (I may have gone a little overboard at Victorias Secret). But it's a blast to walk into a store and know I can fit something in there.

Hand me downs and thrift store clothes for me while I'm losing. I find that wearing clothes that fit help me stay on track and improve my self esteem. I get rid of all the big stuff. It's a mental thing for me. If I don't have any big clothes any more I sure as heck better stick to the program.

I find myself wandering around stores a lot. I will normally wait for a 40-50% off sale and a store coupon or rewards to buy new clothes. I've gone from a 22/24 and 2-3X top down to a med top and 10-12 bottoms in 6 months. But the rapid weight loss messes with your perception of yourself. I'm smaller but my brain sees me larger. :-) I'm still adjusting to my new body.

I hit goal 9 months ago and didn't buy a thing that entire time since except for used workout clothes. Then I had my TT and can't stop buying clothes. Just in the last 2 weeks I've bought 17 ties and I don't wear ties but once a year. Damn I need an intervention.

Edited by Butterthebean

I've bought 3 sizes of jeans on my way down. The size 16s I wore once; the 14s, a few times; now the 12s are baggy and I am on my way to 10s. I never thought I would ever be smaller than a 14!

For me it was a way to see my success and made me very happy. Worth every cent! The now-too-large jeans are going on eBay.

I find myself wandering around stores a lot. I will normally wait for a 40-50% off sale and a store coupon or rewards to buy new clothes. I've gone from a 22/24 and 2-3X top down to a med top and 10-12 bottoms in 6 months. But the rapid weight loss messes with your perception of yourself. I'm smaller but my brain sees me larger. :-) I'm still adjusting to my new body.

I'm with you- still seeing myself as larger. I think that's why buying these clothes were so important now. Now I can actually see my figure, and be proud of where I am.... Over 80 lbs down, and from a size 24/22 to a 12. I'm glad my husband stepped in and told me I looked ridiculous wearing larger sizes. Lol.

Edited by Mrs.RRn

Ok am I the only one who bought new clothes all the way through :P

It made me feel better to buy stuff at each stage.

Nordstrom rack is a good place to get a deal.

If you don't mind standing in a line for a half hour.

Oh but do you know my favorite things to wear still? My sweatshirts I love how big and cozy they are now when I'm home. It's like I'm wearing some giant mans sweatshirt :D

My biggest problem with buying clothes now is I can finally buy them anywhere.....instead of just the big and tall store. The options are overwhelming.

I also bought new clothes all the way. Not many and not expensive, but I bought workout pants, jeans, tops, sweaters, new PJs, and new undies when any got super baggy. And I don't mean falling off baggy. Also bought a couple of coats before I got to goal because mine were ridiculously large. My go to stores were Walmart, Target, and Marshalls. Also bought a few things at yard sales.

After I got to goal, I bought nicer things for each season and a swimsuit (I don't swim much).

Lynda

Oh but do you know my favorite things to wear still? My sweatshirts I love how big and cozy they are now when I'm home. It's like I'm wearing some giant mans sweatshirt :D

My husband just gave me one of his sweatshirts to wear since I am freezing all the time. I love it, it's so big and comfy! I wear it all the time when I'm home.