Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

diverticulitis

I am 8 months out and over 100lbs down. Yesterday I had severe pain in my side down to my groin and today I found out it is another diverticulitis flare up. For those who don't know about this disease it is where part of the colon colapes on itself and is extremely painful! I have to take pain killers and antibiotics but with my new stomach I think they might be too much as I am sooooo nauseated. Any other sleevers have a hard time taking multi drugs after the sleeve?

http://www.webmd.com...-topic-overview

I have had diverticulitus several times pre-sleeving. I know your pain, it's a bear. I have never heard it described as the colon collapsing on itself. I have always thought that it was:...

Diverticulosis happens when pouches (diverticula camera.gif) form in the wall of the colon camera.gif. If these pouches get inflamed or infected, it is called diverticulitis. This is the WEBMD definition.

The nausea could be a part of the condition. Are you taking pills? I stayed away from pills for a long time after sleeving. There are liquid antibiotics but they are more expensive and a bit harder to get.

Even at a year and nine months out I don't like pills. I use liquids or chewables whenever possible. Sometimes I even chew up regular pills...pretty gross at times.

Edited by gmanbat

They will probably put you on a liquid diet for a while. After you heal up they will tell you to mind getting enough Fiber. It is a challenge for us Protein first folks but fiber is a must for us divertic prone people. I am doing well with fiber one Cereal and an occasional slice of high fiber whole grain bread and salads. Don't get the trashy white bread. Benefiber, metamucel, are also good.

They will probably put you on a liquid diet for a while. After you heal up they will tell you to mind getting enough fiber. It is a challenge for us Protein first folks but fiber is a must for us divertic prone people. I am doing well with fiber one cereal and an occasional slice of high fiber whole grain bread and salads. Don't get the trashy white bread. Benefiber, metamucel, are also good.

You crack me up, gmanbat! "Don't get the trashy white bread!" LOL Love that definition. Thanks for the chuckle. :)

I have had only 4 flare ups since my 2005 diagnosis and this was my first since the sleeve. I've decided to quit taking the pain killers and see if its better from the antibiotics yet. I am on the standard Clear Liquids and bed rest treatment for 3 more days. My doctor said I should see improvement today and I woke up with much less pain. I just have never been perched up over the toilet after taking the pain killers and antibiotic per surgery. I take all my Vitamins and calcium citrate in pill form so I don't think its because of pills, but the type of pills maybe makes me sick.too much for the tiny tummy to handle