Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cognition Changes Post VSG  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Any cognitive changes post VSG?

2. 2. If yes, what kind of cognitive changes?

• Positive
    • Negative
    • No Changes

Has anyone experienced problems with memory, concentration or any other cognitive function or mental status changes after VSG? I'm completing the pre-op workup and I understand that he documentation is clear that VSG lowers ghrelin levels compared to both lean controls and those that lost weight through dieting alone, but I am concerned about the finding that some patients develop some level of cognitive impairment after gastric bypass surgery because of the significant role of ghrelin in cognitive function in that Ghrelin through its receptor increases the concentration of dopamine in the substantia nigra. Ghrelin plays a significant role in neurotrophy, particularly in the hippocampus, and is essential for cognitive adaptation to changing environments and the process of learning and possibly slow down the onset of Parkinson's Disease. Thanks.

Edited by Innerchild

Well. Have to say, if anything I think it's actually gotten a bit better...

For the last several years I've had a hard time with memory. In regards to simple things like I want to say "its on top of the..." And I can see the dyer in my minds eye. But can't come up with the name!

I had become like a game of charades around here, with my family guessing what I was trying to say.

I had forgotten (pun intended) that I don't have this problem much anymore. :)

Well. Have to say, if anything I think it's actually gotten a bit better...

For the last several years I've had a hard time with memory. In regards to simple things like I want to say "its on top of the..." And I can see the dyer in my minds eye. But can't come up with the name!

I had become like a game of charades around here, with my family guessing what I was trying to say.

I had forgotten (pun intended) that I don't have this problem much anymore. :)

Laura, I have word retrieval issues. Like you, I can see in my minds eye the object, but I can't think of the word or some other (off the wall) word comes out?? I was thinking that maybe I had suffered a small stroke. I was never that way until the past 10-12 years? Altho, I was diagnosed with ADHD so maybe that has something to do with it? My son who has severe ADHD has the same issue as me with word retrieval problems. He's not overweight.

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack Innerchild's thread but I've been so concerned. I hope my memory improves but maybe I haven't lost enough weight yet? In fact, today I had yet another issue....I was trying to tell my family a story of something that happened yesterday & 4 times, while telling the story, I lost my train of thought & had to have my family coach me on what I was saying before all connection was lost! :( **HELP!!!**

Laura' date=' I have word retrieval issues. Like you, I can see in my minds eye the object, but I can't think of the word or some other (off the wall) word comes out?? I was thinking that maybe I had suffered a small stroke. I was never that way until the past 10-12 years? Altho, I was diagnosed with ADHD so maybe that has something to do with it? My son who has severe ADHD has the same issue as me with word retrieval problems. He's not overweight. Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack Innerchild's thread but I've been so concerned. I hope my memory improves but maybe I haven't lost enough weight yet? In fact, today I had yet another issue....I was trying to tell my family a story of something that happened yesterday & 4 times, while telling the story, I lost my train of thought & had to have my family coach me on what I was saying before all connection was lost! :( **HELP!!!**[/quote']

I don't know how old you are, but if you are nearing menopause, have you had your testosterone checked? My husband starts to do this when his levels get low. He injects himself and is JUST fine. The difference is so marked that I know exactly when to start nagging him about not having taken his shot :)

OMG!! Sounds so much like what's left of my brain! I also have ADD and so does my daughter, and the last several months has been ridiculous with word retrieval and staying on topic, even just losing my train of thought in the.. what was I saying? lol... sure hope it gets better with time!

I don't know how old you are, but if you are nearing menopause, have you had your testosterone checked? My husband starts to do this when his levels get low. He injects himself and is JUST fine. The difference is so marked that I know exactly when to start nagging him about not having taken his shot :)

Hi gamergirl ~ I'm just past that exciting (NOT) part of my life. I'm 54. It started about the time I gave birth to my youngest, which was about 12 years ago. After posting yesterday, I really started to think about when this issue started & it was about the time I gave birth because I do remember asking my OB/GYN about it & he said it was just hormones & my eyesight went bad too about that time & he also said that was hormones but I've needed reading glasses since & now I probably need to wear them all the time. So do I see my regular PCP about something like this or what type of doctor do I need to see? If it's curable by just a shot, I'm taking my son too! :D

Has anyone experienced problems with memory, concentration or any other cognitive function or mental status changes after VSG? I'm completing the pre-op workup and I understand that he documentation is clear that VSG lowers ghrelin levels compared to both lean controls and those that lost weight through dieting alone, but I am concerned about the finding that some patients develop some level of cognitive impairment after gastric bypass surgery because of the significant role of ghrelin in cognitive function in that Ghrelin through its receptor increases the concentration of dopamine in the substantia nigra. Ghrelin plays a significant role in neurotrophy, particularly in the hippocampus, and is essential for cognitive adaptation to changing environments and the process of learning and possibly slow down the onset of Parkinson's Disease. Thanks.

**Forgot to mention this yesterday** but when I tried to vote "NO" it came back to me saying that I must answer the 2nd portion of the question (negative or positive) but with a "NO" answer, there is no negative or positive outcome?? I think there is a glitch in your system, but I was happy to participate in your poll. Let me know if it's fixed because my answer would be "NO." I was brain dead before the surgery, sadly.

**Forgot to mention this yesterday** but when I tried to vote "NO" it came back to me saying that I must answer the 2nd portion of the question (negative or positive) but with a "NO" answer' date=' there is no negative or positive outcome?? I think there is a glitch in your system, but I was happy to participate in your poll. Let me know if it's fixed because my answer would be "NO." I was brain dead before the surgery, sadly. [/quote']

Same for my vote

Hi gamergirl ~ I'm just past that exciting (NOT) part of my life. I'm 54. It started about the time I gave birth to my youngest' date=' which was about 12 years ago. After posting yesterday, I really started to think about when this issue started & it was about the time I gave birth because I do remember asking my OB/GYN about it & he said it was just hormones & my eyesight went bad too about that time & he also said that was hormones but I've needed reading glasses since & now I probably need to wear them all the time. So do I see my regular PCP about something like this or what type of doctor do I need to see? If it's curable by just a shot, I'm taking my son too! :D [/quote']

Ask to have your hormone levels tested, testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone. If your PCP doesn't do it, your Ob/gyn will for sure.

I actually take testosterone as well but in my case, I have them insert a pellet under my skin. For women, we can do that or rub in a cream on the inside of our arm every night because we typically need a smaller dose. My husband's dose is too large to supplement that way.

The pellet lasts 3 months and it is SUCH a relief. I find myself much tougher emotionally once it's in. I can let the small things go, I am much more thick-skinned, and very little bothers me. I can focus better and am much happier. When I start wanting to cry from small stuff, I know it's time to get the pellet replaced. Honestly the difference is night and day.

Both men and women lose testosterone as we age and many people don't know about supplementing. But really if your husband is turning into a grumpy old man, (kinda like Archie Bunker without the racism :P), that's probably what's going on. Your word loss symptoms are fairly classic.

Good luck and do let me know what the doctor says if you get tested!

Have you had your B12 levels checked? I was B12 deficient pre-op anyway, and my surgeon warned me that the sleeve can often lower your levels. That can cause cognitive issues!