Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Joint replacement surgery

Has anyone had joint replacement, namely new knees, shortly after VSG surgery? I am 3 months out, and first knee is 15 Nov. Second at Christmas break. Was wondering how rehab and recovery went.

No, but that is in my future. Please let us know how you do.

Are you talking about knee replacement surgery? Because that's what I'm going to need eventually too.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I am pre op. But I had a knee replacement about a year ago. My surgeon really wanted a BMI below 40-I was close. I am so glad I had it done. I had the right knee and was driving in two weeks. I had two weeks of home based PT, three weeks of out patient and I was good. That experience helped me decide to get the sleeve. I figured that if I could do a knee replacement I could certainly do a sleeve. I do advise an experienced surgeon that does the minimally invasive surgery that goes between...and doesn't cut...the quads.

I had both knees replaced in Feb 2012. Took me months to recover (just sayin'). Now I am great and considering I couldn't walk before my TKRs, and the pain kept me up half the night, there's an enormous improvement. I wonder if I would have needed them done if I'd had the sleeve done years ago. However, it's done now and I can walk for miles without any problem. Only thing I can't do is kneel, but I'm working on that.

I had both knees replaced in Feb 2012. Took me months to recover (just sayin'). Now I am great and considering I couldn't walk before my TKRs' date=' and the pain kept me up half the night, there's an enormous improvement. I wonder if I would have needed them done if I'd had the sleeve done years ago. However, it's done now and I can walk for miles without any problem. Only thing I can't do is kneel, but I'm working on that.[/quote']

Both of my knees need to be replaced. Besides wanting to lose weight I was told the replacement knees would last longer if I lost weight. I have back problems too which I hope will improve with weight loss. I'm 61 and have been suffering with my knees for over 10 years. I'm too young to be walking around like an old lady!

I had both knees replaced in Feb 2012. Took me months to recover (just sayin'). Now I am great and considering I couldn't walk before my TKRs' date=' and the pain kept me up half the night, there's an enormous improvement. I wonder if I would have needed them done if I'd had the sleeve done years ago. However, it's done now and I can walk for miles without any problem. Only thing I can't do is kneel, but I'm working on that.[/quote']

My surgery is November 11th! I've lost 28 lbs so far.

As I write this I am currently pretty confined to a bed due to a knee operation nine days ago. Was supposed to be a simple meniscus tear clean up... Wound up being a microfracture cartilage repair. No ability to put any weight on it for 4-6 weeks, and if I even sit up, it swells up like crazy, so even that is fairly impossible.

I strongly advise anyone with serious knee issues to get super serious about weight loss and getting healthy. My advice: Get sleeved if you can first as it will make your knees a lot happier. ..you cannot imagine how hard crutches are at this weight!

Thanks for the replays. I am talking about total replacement. My ortho told me in May I had to lose at least 50 lbs. before he would even consider surgery. As I write this, I am in his office for pre-op visit

I will post updates after surgery and during physical therapy. Best wishes to all!

As I write this I am currently pretty confined to a bed due to a knee operation nine days ago. Was supposed to be a simple meniscus tear clean up... Wound up being a microfracture cartilage repair. No ability to put any weight on it for 4-6 weeks' date=' and if I even sit up, it swells up like crazy, so even that is fairly impossible. I strongly advise anyone with serious knee issues to get super serious about weight loss and getting healthy. My advice: Get sleeved if you can first as it will make your knees a lot happier. ..you cannot imagine how hard crutches are at this weight! [/quote'] hope you have a speedy recovery .

Diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in neck, back, hips, knees, etc at age 37. Now nearly 62. Had a fall and sprain in February and suffering since my doc said I was too fat, or it would be so much harder to recover. Even 30 pounds lost has helped. 10 yrs ago I could have had it, but put it off because would need to be repeated down the line. Now, hoping to have my knees replaced 6 months out after VSG. Awaiting approval and date now. Glad this thread is here.

I had knee replacement 1 year before my the sleeve which was 1 year ago. I have lost about 91 pounds and off anti inflammatory meds. I can actually do stairs without huffing and puffing, and bend my knee Too!!!!

Surgery in two days. They moved up second knee to mid December. I will be posting after surgery, and during rehab. Thanks for the replys. :D

Surgery in two days. They moved up second knee to mid December. I will be posting after surgery, and during rehab. Thanks for the replys. :D

Please keep us updated. Having my knees done is in my future and I'm so interested in your journey.