Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Neverending period

I'm about five months out from surgery and have had such menstrual issues I thought I'd share them! Right after surgery I started having abnormal periods, I'd go about 2 weeks between periods. Figured it would level out but instead it got to the point of having week long periods, 3 or 4 dry days, then back on a week long period. Finally decided to go to the doctor because this was obviously not going to get better on its own. So spent this week having a pap, sonogram, pelvic exam, and a biopsy to make sure it was not cancer or something else causing it. Everything came back normal except the biopsy confirmed that my uterine lining had been thickened due to an elevated level of hormones. Have to take progesterone for a month to offset the elevated estrogen levels, then back in for another biopsy to make sure the lining has thinned back to normal. Doctor confirmed what I've read on here, that the estrogen that has been stored in my fat cells has been released back into my system. Will probably need to go back on birth control to regulate my hormones, hoping that once I stop losing weight it will all level out. Glad I went to the doctor, not only to stop these darn periods, but my doctor said that when your hormones cause a thickened lining and doesn't allow it to go back to normal once in a while, you are at greater risk for endometrial cancer. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else experiences something similar.

I was actually the total opposite. They stopped my birth control pills at the hospital and after that I went about 3 months with nothing. I finally started having a period again, but I only have about 2 days of light flow and that's it. I was very worried because the whole reason I went on the pill so many years ago was that I would get horrible cramps to the point that I would physically get sick every month! And I would have it for the full 7 days. Luckily I haven't had any issues.

I had to take progesterone too, for the same reason. But, I only had to take it for 10 days. If you don't go on birth control right after the progesterone, you will have the worst period you've ever had. EVER. I went through 12-15 of those huge overnight pads per day and this went on for about 8 days. I was anemic by the time it was over. I had to get those pads to protect the bed at night. I bled on my couch several times. Plus, it hurts. Bad. Maybe it's just my body that reacts this way, but be prepared! !!! When your body tries to clean out all that built up lining, it really means business!

Ugh, thanks for the warning! I called them this week because I've started again, even with the progesterone, and they also warned me that once I stop using it next week it will be ugly! I'm just so ready to be done with it! Hope going on birth control gets it under control, because I'm not sure what other options I have at this point.

Just wanted to add to this thread that I've currently had a period for over a month. My Ob/Gyn put me on 10 day progesterone and now that I'm done with the pills, my period has become even worse. I'm going through superplus tampons every 1-2 hours. I'm feeling very week. I go to the Ob/Gyn tomorrow and she's talked about going on birth control pills. I have PCOS and am scared about going on birth control pills as I've had issues with fertility. Anyone else going through this? How long did it take to regulate?

I'm really hoping this is just estrogen leaving my body, but I wish it would give me a break... I've been on a stall on my weight loss for just as long.

I'm about five months out from surgery and have had such menstrual issues I thought I'd share them! Right after surgery I started having abnormal periods, I'd go about 2 weeks between periods. Figured it would level out but instead it got to the point of having week long periods, 3 or 4 dry days, then back on a week long period. Finally decided to go to the doctor because this was obviously not going to get better on its own. So spent this week having a pap, sonogram, pelvic exam, and a biopsy to make sure it was not cancer or something else causing it. Everything came back normal except the biopsy confirmed that my uterine lining had been thickened due to an elevated level of hormones. Have to take progesterone for a month to offset the elevated estrogen levels, then back in for another biopsy to make sure the lining has thinned back to normal. Doctor confirmed what I've read on here, that the estrogen that has been stored in my fat cells has been released back into my system. Will probably need to go back on birth control to regulate my hormones, hoping that once I stop losing weight it will all level out. Glad I went to the doctor, not only to stop these darn periods, but my doctor said that when your hormones cause a thickened lining and doesn't allow it to go back to normal once in a while, you are at greater risk for endometrial cancer. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else experiences something similar.

Hi everyone I'm 15 months out now and have been experiencing consistent light bleeding with intermittent heavy periods since about three or four months out of surgery. I didn't bleed for the first 3-4 and now ever since it's been consistent. I did have an implanon which I thought was the issue and I had it removed a month ago and still no relief.

I've now had an internal ultrasound, changed back to a standard pill and have booked a pap next week.

Nothing found as yet but I now have a B12 deficiency which I believe is related.

The bleeding gets really heavy post exercise and running. It's really getting to me!!

Any similar issues, findings and remedies would be greatly appreciated!

I actually just had an ablation done this past Tuesday. Two biopsies and a pap showed no other issues besides the elevated hormones. Hoping the ablation does the trick. Pretty happy so far that im not even having the spotting they said to expect after the procedure so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Good luck with your tests.

I'm practically constantly bleeding - despite being on a pill that's supposed to stop it.

Its ridiculous. I am very tired of it.

I'm wholly expecting them to tell me I'm Iron deficient now as a consequence.

Grrrr