Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UPDATES PLEASE! Howz All the Octobers?

I'm curious to hear how everyone who was sleeved in October is doing!

Mine was Oct 14 in Tj with Dr Garcia, two nights in hospital and one at the Marriott. The docs & nurses & hospital & hotel were great. Other than feeling nauseous the first couple of days, weak & sore the first week, it's all gone very well. I even survived having TWO sets of company the week after I returned home! (No visitors for months, and I get two that week!)

I've had a queasy stomach a few times, but it always passed. Didn't know if I could even take Pepto, so I'm glad it did!

And I'm now down 21 pounds from my highest weight a week before surgery when I started liquids -- I am still amazed when I get on the scale! My BMI is below 30 for the first time in a hundred years at least. And tho I know the speed of weight loss will slow, it's exciting to me to know that I'm not dieting to lose this weight and then have it all come back later, plus some!

Of course, I COULD have lost this weight two months ago if all I ate was Soups & shakes & yogurt, but I would've been climbing the walls with hunger and eating paint chips! With the sleeve, even tho it's new, I'm just not very hungry very often. It's more of a *mental* thing to retrain my mind that I do NOT have to finish that cup of Soup, cause I'm getting full.

I'm wearing tops that I bought a year or two ago that were tight when I bought them but I told myself I'd lose ten pounds so I could wear them. Never did. Until now! And it feels GOOD knowing that all that FAT around my internal organs is going away, making me healthier in the long term. I'm 60 now, and I did this so I'd be a healthy little-ole-lady in the future.

So... that's my story. What's YOURS? How are YOU doing? Let's compare notes.

Hello! I'm from Texas and was sleeved last week! Here's the bad: The 1st couple days were rough for me unfortunately. I kept throwing up when I tried to drink Water, I had tremendous gas pains...the nausea medicines I was given didn't help at all, and I was extremely thirsty. Here's the good: I started feeling like a new person by day 3! I was drinking water by day 5 with ease but was very hungry even after taking the Pepcid to help with the acid in my stomach, which was kinda rough for a couple of days. Also, I had staples placed on all my incisions and was itching like crazy for two days straight until I got them out at my post-op yesterday. I can truly say that I feel awesome right now. I've gone back to the gym a couple of days this week only to walk on the treadmill for about 30 minutes. I can say that I felt kinda worn out after that which is crazy since I was going slow as all heck. I could do more but my stomach muscles won't let me. I'm not fit obviously, but I'm not super out of shape either since I enjoy bike rides with the family. Anyway, I'm learning things about myself everyday since the surgery. I don't have any advice other than to say keep doing what you do and don't let temptation get to you! Stay strong and good luck to everyone on their journeys!

Edited by ItsMeAgain

It sounds like you're doing great I had my surgery on October 23rd I have not weighed myself. I feel like I have lost weight. I am 64. Still on the liquid diet w 3 Protein Shakes and either Tomato Soup or chicken broth. Should I be having something different? Still confused with the post op diet!

Sounds like you are doing terrific! I was sleeved the 17th. I haven't thrown up once, but have been taking Zofran every morning and did have some Phenergan in the hospital for nausea. My first week home I was a nervous wreck - I just felt hormonal and crazy. The mental hunger was driving me nuts and I just wanted food. I missed the act of chewing, the flavors, and the feeling of swallowing something substantial. I did suck on one or two saltine crackers until they were mush. :)

I was off for one week and came back to work on Monday. I'm tired, but I have a sit-down job that isn't physically demanding, so I'm doing OK. It's been nice to have distractions. I find that as long as I keep busy, I do much better with the mental hunger and desire to eat out of sheer boredom. Heading into my 3rd week, I feel like I'm finally detoxed from sugar and caffeine and I am finally enjoying my Protein shakes. (The first few days of being home, I was SOOO grossed out by them!)

I am wearing a pair of pants I probably haven't worn in over a year, and people are really noticing the 20+ lb loss, so that is exciting and motivating!

Next week I'll finally be off full liquids and onto pureed. Have a nutrition class on Wednesday so I'll learn all about that. I'm excited to eat baby food! :D

ItsMeAgain, congrats on making it thru the worst! That first week was rough for me, too, but every day is getting better. Don't try to do too much too fast (treadmill) -- you're going to have lots of time and energy to exercise after this first month!! Baby yourself a bit and let your body heal.

pattierie, I weigh myself only once a week. (well, I have sneaked in an extra weigh-in during the week, but I don't write it down - haha) Someone on here recommended a great scale that shows weight, bodyfat, BMI, etc, so I'm tracking my progress. Feels so good to see the scale go DOWN instead of UP!

I was able to add SMOOTH greek yogurt after a week or so without any problem. There are great flavors like key-lime-pie, banana, caramel, that don't have lumps of fruit in them. I love the fruit, but we can't have it yet. On full liquids, you can also have creamy Soups (strained), SF Jello, SF popsicles, Gogurts. Here's a website with great info about the various food stages: http://www.murfsurg.com/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.htm

Good luck to both of you!

Wish more of our October buds would reply. Love to know how everyone's doing!

bonniefide, we must've hit 'Post' at the same moment! :P

You sould great ~ Isn't it wonderful to have those first couple of weeks behind you?! I know what you mean about missing *chewing* something! I've been amazed to find that a half a cup of Soup will make me feel full. That's a change!! I got a Magic Bullet a couple months before my sleeve for making veggie/fruit shakes, but now it works great to puree Progresso Soups and other things I haven't tried yet. (only $49 at Costco!) I'm not rushing into eating anything that's not mush; I want to give my tummy plenty of time to adjust.

I'm back at work, too, and my energy level is doing much better each day as long as I don't overdo it. You're off & running, so keep us posted!

Havent been sleveed up to 2 weeks but the scale has yet to move. Haven't lost anything significant and i'm still at my pre-surgery weight. I'm wondering how long before I begin to see movement on the scale and yes i've been following the diet plan.

I'm s/p 1 week Surgery with Dr Garcia 11/26/2013. I returned home last Tuesday. The travel TJ to Maryland was a pain. I'm able to drink Fluid and 2 Proteins shake daily + beef broth. I also drink plenty of coconut Water to compensate with electrolytes. I went for a good walk with kids this PM.

The scale had not really moved for me. :( Can wait Sunday to start Yogurt!!!

No BM since surgery. I took some Lactulose yesterday, nothing. Overall, I'm doing okay.

Hey startingoveryetagain, Don't worry about that mean ole scale! Its just being a pain because you probably still have some swelling around your abdomen that fools it into thinking you haven't lost weight. Also if you haven't had a BM in a while that can keep you second guessing about how the surgery will help you lose weight. Personally, I've seen my scale go down AND up which made me go...hmmm wth?! However, I know I didn't do anything wrong so I'm going on like I hadn't been checking a few days this week. My personal advice is to continue drinking Water or clear fluids so it can flush your system and in the next couple of days I'm sure you'll see the results you need to keep you focused on your goals. Good Luck!

Pattierie...Don't worry about the crazy post-op diet! I've had my own issues with what exactly to do these 1st few weeks. I'm eating any flavored Soup I can find without the chunks of course. I bought plain Greek yogurt and added some watermelon crystal light to it (taste good!). I have a whole box of different flavors of sugar free jello/pudding (Costco had them on sale now!) and SF popsicles and the lovely Protein Powder of course. My biggest issue is staying FULL! My body seriously wants real food and not just liquids! I can't stop being hungry after a short time and it has nothing to do with my head or stomach acid. I stayed more full on the pre-op diet which was more restrictive (if you can believe that!) I personally can't wait until the mushies stage because this is totally bogus! Okay so I'm done complaining now. LoL

Geny, today's your yogurt day! That will help a lot! and don't worry about not having a BM yet -- you haven't been eating much at all to make one! It'll happen.

Isn't it amazing to NOT hate getting on the scale?

I feel like my will power has been tested to the hilt this past month! Started my pre op diet on October 2nd, surgery on the 15th. I've hosted & cooked/baked for 3 birthday

parties this month, which was really tough, not to mention avoiding the piles of candy that my children collected. I'm REALLY happy to say that I've not put one morsel of food in my mouth that is off limits... I can and will do this but cooking for my family is tough... I just miss eating the way I used to and almost feel a sense of relief when they finish dinner... (For example, tonight's homemade General Tsao's chicken vs my puréed lentil Soup, lol). I know this will get easier when I can have something that I can really chew, or crunch... Other than that, I fit into some old jeans today which made me so happy & I'm just waiting patiently for this 2 week stall to break!

I was sleeved on the 31st, so I'm still on full liquids. Things are going well I would say, a few minor issues but I'm happy to have zero pain. I was 322 the morning of surgery and this morning I was 301. I'm climbing towards my Protein and Water goals, but I had some reflux that was getting in my way. Hot Soups with powder in them are the clear winner for me now!