Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skipping Pureed

Has anyone skipped the puréed stage and went from full liquids to soft solids?

I did. I was super careful about what I ate and ensured I chewed 30 times. I'm doing great! When I eat something crunchy or a bit tough I know I got some chewing to do. :-). Everyone is different. If your tummy can tolerate it, then I believe it's ok. Others may not agree. I'm one month out and I am eating fish, chicken, tuna, shrimp, turkey sausage, ground turkey, etc... I add spices or sauces to my liking and I and doing great. I focus on Protein through animal sources right now. I eat yogurt, cheeses, and cottage cheese daily. I'd like to keep my hair thank you very much. Lol. I get at least 90 grams of Protein in a day easily. Calories have difficult to get in, but I'm now up to 1000 calories and working my way up to 1200. I have no heart burn. The key is to stop eating before you feel a fullness sensation. I do that by serving sizes to myself. I know in my past I have been neglectful when I eat. I didn't pay attention. I've done that twice since surgery and spent a few hours on the couch regretting it. I hope that helps.:-)

you don't want to do that. It will hurt! Your stomach needs time to properly heal. Puree is not as bad as it sounds. Be creative. I ate egg salad, pureed chicken and gravy, ff/plain greek yogurt with splenda and chocolate, extracts or baby fruit (stage 1) FF Ricotta seasoned italian style and heated, then topped with sauce, I have a cannoli cream recipe too, if you are interested. Egg beaters, etc.......

When in doubt, do what your doctor recommended. You don't want to progress to quickly, give your body a chance to heal, you are still swollen inside and may not feel discomfort as easily. What works for one, may not work for everyone and with your health, I would err on the side of caution.

Good luck and congratulations on your surgery!

Edited by JerseyGirl68

My nut had me go from full liquids to soft foods no puree for me

Ah makes me too nervous! Please, please run this by your doctor/NUT before making the decision. I will not lie, I HATED puréed phase at the time, but I made it through and it literally seems like such a distant memory that I am embarrassed I was so dramatic about it in my head. I promise, you will feel the exact same way and be like "OK, it sucked but it was only a few days of my life." LOL

Like others suggested, get creative and use those Protein shakes if necessary!

Thanks for responding. I'm still on the fence.

From full liquids to soft foods. No puree.

PLEASE follow your doctor's orders!! There's a reason they have you going through these stages. For some docs pureed and soft foods are the same, so they don't make a distinction. For others, there IS a difference.

Our new tummies are like a babies - we need time to adjust our new sleeves to solid food. You wouldn't send a baby from formula to a porterhouse, right? I know that's an extreme case, but it's the same principle. Our tummies need to learn how to digest food all over again.

pureed foods isn't really that bad. There are a ton of options - Soups and stews are great pureed as are Beans, chilis, etc. It doesn't have to be boring! In fact, our first episode talks about this:

There are a TON of ways you can get through it. Remember, each stage is only 2 weeks. What is 2 weeks when compared with the rest of your new, healthy life?

PLEASE follow your doctor's orders!! There's a reason they have you going through these stages. For some docs pureed and soft foods are the same' date=' so they don't make a distinction. For others, there IS a difference. Our new tummies are like a babies - we need time to adjust our new sleeves to solid food. You wouldn't send a baby from formula to a porterhouse, right? I know that's an extreme case, but it's the same principle. Our tummies need to learn how to digest food all over again. Pureed foods isn't really that bad. There are a ton of options - Soups and stews are great pureed as are Beans, chilis, etc. It doesn't have to be boring! In fact, our first episode talks about this:
There are a TON of ways you can get through it. Remember, each stage is only 2 weeks. What is 2 weeks when compared with the rest of your new, healthy life?[/quote'] I love watching you guys on YouTube :) may I ask why you cald it 7 bites? :)

I love watching you guys on YouTube :) may I ask why you cald it 7 bites? :)

Thank you!!

And, absolutely!:

After surgery, we are able to eat about 7 bites of food before our sleeves get full. My nutritionist even broke it down for me:

4 bites Protein

2 bites veggies

1 bite starch

Some can eat more, some less, it depends on how far out you are and how big a sleeve you have (there are different sizes!). But seven bites is a pretty fair average. :-) Thanks for asking!

Thank you!! And' date=' absolutely!: After surgery, we are able to eat about 7 bites of food before our sleeves get full. My nutritionist even broke it down for me: 4 bites Protein 2 bites veggies 1 bite starch Some can eat more, some less, it depends on how far out you are and how big a sleeve you have (there are different sizes!). But seven bites is a pretty fair average. :-) Thanks for asking![/quote'] That is very interesting I have to remember that when I start eating solids thanks :)