Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Those 1 Year+ Out

I'm just under 11 months out, and I can eat anything I want. I have to be really careful. For me, that means weighing and measuring food, counting and tracking calories, and following the general rules for gastric sleeve patients. I don't think of it as dieting. I think of it as doing what I need to do for success. I usually have a Protein shake for Breakfast, greek yogurt and string cheese for lunch with a few grapes, nuts for an afternoon snack, and meat/vegetable for dinner. Some days I have a snack at bed time, depending on how many calories I've eaten and if I'm hungry. I could easily eat a lot more than I do. I try to keep it close to 900 calories, but lately I'm having a hard time staying below 1100. I, too, am surprised at how few calories and carbs it takes me to lose weight. No wonder i was so fat!

I have a question for those of you who are 1+ year(s) out from your VSG and view your process as "successful". What is a day in the life of your sleeve after that initial year or so? What do you eat in an average day? I'm just 6 weeks out and getting a little discouraged with the limited foods I'm able to eat. Just wondering what you all are eating in the long run and what your tips are for better food choices for the long haul.

Thanks in advance!

I'm almost 3.5 years out and I've been maintaining for almost three years. Life is 'normal'. I just finished ice cream, this is the most "normal" I've ever been....I THINK!! No guilt about anything I eat, maintenance is easy for me. Everything I eat is logged and I stay within the calories I need every day.

Today I had a half cup of 1% cottage cheese for breakfast. I wanted Protein because I knew I was meeting friends for lunch at a pizza/Italian restaurant. I had three small pieces of Canadian bacon and mushroom pizza. This is an oval pizza cut into small squares. For dinner I had 3 oz of round steak cooked in 98% FF cream of mushroom Soup. The Soup, plus a can of Water, makes GREAT gravy!!! I had .25 cup of my cottage cheese, a fourth cup of 'gravy' and and eighth of a cup of green Beans. I just had a 1 serving of home made ice cream. All this will come to less than 1300 calories. Before bed I'll have 1 cup of skim milk to make sure my Protein is 60 or above.

This is great 'ice cream'. A little mini hand crank maker, we use skim milk, although my recipe calls for whipping cream. It whips up good, nice and thick and tastes delish. Calls for a half cup of sugar, I use a little less, egg beaters rather then 2 whole eggs. vanilla. Love it.....what is life like. It's good!!! I've just made lifestyle changes that I can live with forever. It's as simple as that. Just wait, you won't believe what your life is like a year from now!!

Great topic for me as right now I am a bit over 2 months out and couldn't overeat even if I wanted to! I find if I eat even one bite more than a tiny portion, I vomit. I have a friend who just visited from Australia, and she was sleeved in 2009, lost almost 40 kilos and gained it all back! This is really scary to me, as she said every meal she just ate a bit more than she should have, and managed to stretch her sleeve. I am determined to lose it all and keep it off, and am already seriously exercising, eating very few carbs and mainly Protein and vegetables. Any tips on how to make sure the weight never comes back?

I have a question for those of you who are 1+ year(s) out from your VSG and view your process as "successful". What is a day in the life of your sleeve after that initial year or so? What do you eat in an average day? I'm just 6 weeks out and getting a little discouraged with the limited foods I'm able to eat. Just wondering what you all are eating in the long run and what your tips are for better food choices for the long haul.

Thanks in advance!

There are a number of paleo diet type books that will give you food/snack ideas that will be compatible with the sleeve long term. Several paleo Ebooks can be found on Amazon, or print books are available for loan from the library. Specifically, paleo Snacks or paleo for kids would have sleeve portion sizes.

We had to embrace a mainly primal (paleo + dairy) way of eating for some family dietary issues, so some things we keep on hand: boiled eggs, cheese cubes or sticks, spiral sliced ham that is cooked/chopped/stored in a ziplock and ready for eating, precooked sliced chicken breast, precooked sliced turkey breast, precooked bacon, sliced/chopped veggies and fruit, chicken salad made with avocado instead of mayo, various kinds of nuts and seeds, various kinds of dried fruit, etc. I'm still pre-op, and while I know I'll have to lose the nuts and seeds, I'm hopeful being in the habit of having the rest of these things on hand will be helpful in the long run.

Thanks for the wishes, Amazon. You're right... I will have to find the "new" normal me. Funny thing about carbs, though.... They've never been my downfall. I've always been a savory kind of gal.....give me a big hunk of steak any day. I even take the top half of the bun off most sandwiches because I prefer the "guts" inside. Unfortunately, steaks come with potatoes, and burgers come with fries, etc. and I'm not one to leave any food on a plate... :P I'm looking forward to filling up on the good stuff (protein) and hold the fries. Now I just have to figure out the chocolate thing....

You need to buy yourself one of those diet plates so you can't fit as many fries on it. :-)

I know you asked for 1+ year out! but would It help you to know that even at only 3 months out, I feel like I can eat normally? I have chosen not to eat sliders and junk food, but I can eat meat, fruit and veggies just fine.

My point is, normalcy may come faster than you think. Hang in there.

I'm just over 3 months out and despite the complications am able to eat normally. I found this out when in hospital, as I had a limited menu and had no choice.

Great topic for me as right now I am a bit over 2 months out and couldn't overeat even if I wanted to! I find if I eat even one bite more than a tiny portion, I vomit. I have a friend who just visited from Australia, and she was sleeved in 2009, lost almost 40 kilos and gained it all back! This is really scary to me, as she said every meal she just ate a bit more than she should have, and managed to stretch her sleeve. I am determined to lose it all and keep it off, and am already seriously exercising, eating very few carbs and mainly Protein and vegetables. Any tips on how to make sure the weight never comes back?

I think you've given yourself the answer in what you said. Stop when you're full. I have gotten into the habit of having my dinner in 2 sittings. I plate up a small meal, and when I'm full I put the rest in the fridge. When I get peckish later on I reheat my leftovers. Works for me. :-) and follow the golden rule. Protein first. I think some people have this surgery thinking it's a miracle cure and don't put the effort in.

I'm 15 months out. What to eat is not a big deal. I can eat what ever I want just small amounts. I eat very view carbs and I weigh daily. By weighing daily I don't feel I have to track my food.

Hi, I'm a little over 11 months out. A typical day for me is tuna salad for breakfast (I make it with light mayo and dill pickle relish), I know kinda weird but I'm not a breakfast person, lunch is 3-4 oz of Protein and a few bites of veggies and dinner is the same. I can generally eat anything without a problem. I'm staying away from carbs until I get to maintenance and then I'm hoping to be able to add some in and be able to maintain.