Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Those 1 Year+ Out

I have a question for those of you who are 1+ year(s) out from your VSG and view your process as "successful". What is a day in the life of your sleeve after that initial year or so? What do you eat in an average day? I'm just 6 weeks out and getting a little discouraged with the limited foods I'm able to eat. Just wondering what you all are eating in the long run and what your tips are for better food choices for the long haul.

Thanks in advance!

I am 13 months out from surgery and I usually have 1/2 cup of granola and yogurt for Breakfast, A piece of fruit, some nuts or Protein bar for snack, A small piece of Protein, small portion of veg and a carb for lunch, cheese and crackers, or fruit for snack, A small piece of protein and a veg for dinner (no carb) and then popcorn, granola or cheese/ slice of meat for snack.

I drink throughout the day, still never with a meal nor 30 minutes before or after. It has become just a part of my life to eat this way,

I am allowed to have 2 Desserts per week as long as I use it as one of my carbs. If I go over my intake for a day, then I adjust the next day and limit my carbs and focus on protein. I do weigh myself every morning to keep on track. (I know some people cant handle this but it does help me)

I also exercise every day and as long as I am exercising, I can eat more throughout the day. If I have to stop exercising for some reason then I cant eat as much.

By your year anniversary, it will be old hat to you. Yes, there are days that I wish I could have just one more bite but it isnt the end of the world and I would much rather not have that extra bite and be labeled now as thin, skinny and slender. SOOOO Worth it!

Dont get discouraged, just look up some fun healthy recipes and dont get bored with your food. There are lots of great recipes out there that taste delicious! Just because you are losing doesnt mean you cant enjoy your food.< /p>

Good luck, keep up the great work!

Edited by Susie in Lima

Thanks for the response! It helps to know what things will be like down the road when you get past the initial few months. I think maybe you're right...maybe I need to mix things up and get some variety. I also weigh myself every day. like you said, it's hard for some people to do that, but I just don't worry if the number is the same, it just kind of motivates me. Thanks again!

I eat whatever I want and I'm only 8 months out. You'll be able to eat whatever you want here pretty soon. I don't eat healthy though or exercise. I'm still losing weight because my portions are small. I don't exercise but I'm a nurse and I also work a lot of over time so I do walk a lot. My weight loss is slowing down so maybe I would lose more weight if I ate better but I'm pretty happy at the weight I am now. I passed my original weight loss goal (220 pounds). I also drink diet pop and I do drink with my meals. I eat like any normal person does except a lot less. That's it. I probably eat between 1200-1500 calories per day.

At 15 months out, I can pretty well eat what I want. I try to avoid too many carbs b/c I'm still in the losing phase, but they don't bother me (just hinder my weight loss!). I do have issues with things like refined sugar, high fructose corn Syrup, MSG, and some fruit (grapes mainly). But those are things you're going to want to limit in any healthy diet anyway (with the exception of the fruit of course - fruit is NOT bad for you!). Otherwise, I can eat or drink pretty much what I want (in moderation, of course).

Hope this helps!

I am nearly 2 years out and maintaining at goal. I CAN eat anything, no food restrictions. However, turns out I need shockingly few carbs and calories to maintain a normal BMI. I do not eat full meals,; petite portions still following sleever rules.

Dobeigh and 7 bites, you are my heros! I HATE keeping track, counting calories/carbs/whatever and I'm not a fan of exercise. I am active at work and like to do outdoor activities on weekends, just not "workout" type exercise. I don't even own a scale and plan to weigh myself at work when I remember to. I read so many posts of successful sleevers that go to the gym, track everything on myfitnesspal, etc. but I work 60-70 hours a week and don't want to spend my little free time monitoring my diet for the rest of my life. I realize the sleeve is a tool and won't do the work for me, but I really just want to live a normal life. Reading your posts gives me hope that that is possible.

I will say that what works for some will not work for others. I am sure you will find your way but I think that we will never be "normal" people. We will always be a VSG patient maintaining our new goal weights. Chances are you will be eating far less than a normal person to maintain and excess carbs will be your enemy. It is easy to start eating slider foods so be wary of this.

The thing is you will probably love the new you that nothing will stand in your way to continue to be a success!!

You will have a new norm "for you". Best wishes, you can do it!!

Thanks for the wishes, Amazon. You're right... I will have to find the "new" normal me. Funny thing about carbs, though.... They've never been my downfall. I've always been a savory kind of gal.....give me a big hunk of steak any day. I even take the top half of the bun off most sandwiches because I prefer the "guts" inside. Unfortunately, steaks come with potatoes, and burgers come with fries, etc. and I'm not one to leave any food on a plate... :P I'm looking forward to filling up on the good stuff (protein) and hold the fries. Now I just have to figure out the chocolate thing....

I know you asked for 1+ year out! but would It help you to know that even at only 3 months out, I feel like I can eat normally? I have chosen not to eat sliders and junk food, but I can eat meat, fruit and veggies just fine.

My point is, normalcy may come faster than you think. Hang in there.

I don't track either, but I am thoughtful about eating and have a sense about portions, carbs and calories.

Since I have a desk job I have to exercise.

I don't view it as a perpetual diet, but i do see it as eating alot less and of different foods then people around me eat. There needs to be a strong intent and focus to maintain.... especially as we get older.

I don't track in detail, but I do measure my food and I am mindful of what I'm eating. At goal weight or within my bounce range, I have treats and cocktails in limited amounts. I generally eat lean Protein, nonfat or low fat dairy, whole grains, veggies, and fruit, in that order.

For example, today I had a soy latte, a slice of whole wheat bread, and two slices of low fat ham at Breakfast. Mid morning if ate about a cup of green grapes. At lunch, I had about a cup of Lima beams cooked with ham shanks. Mid afternoon if ate a salad with light dressing. For dinner, I had turkey pot pie. After dinner, I had an ounce of low fat salami. Before bed, I will have a cup of Greek yogurt mixed with Splenda, pumpkin purée and spices.

I've been at goal for more than a year and a half. I walk for at least an hour four days per week.

Lynda

I'm a month pre op. I can't even imagine what maintenance will look like but I'm already thinking about it. I work a desk job as well and middle aged - I figure regular exercise will have to be in my long term plan in order to maintain whether I like it or not!

I'm more than three years out. Outside of pregnancy, I've stayed within 5% of my goal weight.

Some people can't track. Some people have to do it. I have to do it.

I think the biggest thing is to stay disciplined. Weigh daily. If you don't know what the scale says, you can easily slip into denial about weight gain until your pants are too tight.

I may eat whatever I want, but I choose wisely about 99% of the time. I can't rely on my sleeve to keep me thin despite myself. I have to think about my food, I prefer to plan my meals and I must weigh myself daily. I cannot just "wing it" for long periods of time or my eating habits get sloppy again.

I have decades of disordered eating behind me. I have only three years of being a normal weight and making mostly good choices under my belt. If I leave it up to my habits to see me through, I'm going to find myself with a regain and it's harder to lose weight the closer you are to goal.

You'll need to find what works for you and keep with it for the long haul. We regularly see people back in the vets forum that have been offline and without support that need to lose a regain. It's all too easy to gain weight if you get sloppy.

~Cheri