Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For new people who didn't know me when I was 300+ pounds, I sometimes say that I am on a strict diet and I exercise.

I've been pretty upfront about surgery. I don't want to hide it as it becomes obvious once I start eating that something's off about me.

To everyone else: I HAD GASTRIC BYPASS. If I say I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy, everyone gives me weird looks. So I tend to say bypass and that my stomach is the size and shape of a banana now.

"The easy way out..." That is what I fear people are going to say. I worry that people will give me grief about it. I don't feel it is the easy way out, because it's been a very hard struggle to lose the weight.

I'm confident in my decision to do the surgery, just in the back of my mind I have the little worry people will judge me. Then again if they judge me then I really don't need them around anyway. :)

I've been completely open and honest with my surgery - but then, I've made it a living to talk about, so that's no surprise :-)

I think that what you tell people and how much is completely up to you. Like I've said, I've told everyone. But then, everyone knew my life long struggle with weight and obesity, so it was really no shock to them when I decided to go with surgery. In fact, they applauded my decision and were very supportive.

I've only had a handful of people ask about it being the "easy way out". When this has happened, I've just explained to them the ins and outs of the surgery, what I had to do before and after, and what I've had to do recently. Once they understand the true "nature of the beast" (so to speak) they realize that it really isn't an easy way at all. The only ones that have said anything like that are obese themselves and said it around a mouthful of cake (I'm seriously not exaggerating on that one either ...)

Whatever you tell people, remember that you are making the very best decision for YOU - it's about you, not them. <3

If people ask me how I'm losing weight I tell them that I'm eating less and exercising more. If they ask me if I've had WLS then I tell them' date=' yes...[/quote']

Thank you to the OP for asking this question! I have been wondering the same. I like (and will use) this reply...thank you!!!

I am not telling anyone but my close family and beat friends. I am simply saying that I'm eating better and exercising.

I want to update my response a little. It's easy for me to say that I'm open about it and don't care, but that's just my personality. I know it's not like that for everyone, and most of us can pretend that others opinions don't matter, but they do.

I guess I'm open about it because I want people to challenge me on it. I want them to tell me that I'm taking the easy way out, so that I can educate them on the statistics of me a) losing it on my own and 2) keeping it off for 4 or more years. The statistics are rather grim. So I can tell them that my choices are either taking a really, really long shot on 'doing it the hard way', or get the surgery and add 15-20 years to my life and also I'll BE SKINNY AND SUPER SEXY!!!!

It seems like a pretty fool-proof argument, but so far no takers ;-)

I am not telling anyone but my close family and close friends. I am simply saying that I'm eating better and exercising.

Ditto!!!

7Bites

Thank you for your response. You are totally right we do make this decision for us and it's not snot them. Thank you

I decided not to tell anyone but my very close friends and some family, so when people ask how I've lost weight I just say in a very general way calorie control and exercise. I guess this is one instance where losing slowly is to my advantage, nobody is shocked by my weight loss. I had surgery in June and have lost 44 pounds so it could have been done "on my own."

I would like to say I'm having surgery for a hiatal hernia but not sure of how to pronounce the first word...lol

Is it hi--a--tell?

I would like to say I'm having surgery for a hiatal hernia but not sure of how to pronounce the first word...lol Is it hi--a--tell?
Got it in case anyone else is wondering it's hi-ate-uhl I told someone today and she started asking detailed questions. It was so obvious I was lying...oh well I suck at lying

Edited by TIFFs

I tell I had the surgery to anyone that asks. I am thankful friends were hinest with me about it. It led me to have the surgery. So, if I can help others..great! Besides..I have an aunt who told me ahe gall bladder surgery. ..not wls...I knew right away she was not being honest. People are going to talk. No way do people really honestly lose this much weight by eating right. Jmo

I'm still struggling with this a little. I have a group of about 10 friends from various parts of my life that know. My mother knows. My husband and kids know. And that's it.

Interestingly (I almost typed "unfortunately), I work with two different companies, one as a consultant and one as a part-time manager. Both of these companies involve my working with large groups of volunteers, out in public. Out of necessity, they know I had surgery and that I was out of touch for a couple of days. Those who have asked have been told it was hiatal hernia surgery with a strict diet afterwards, because I've already had an event in which it was obvious that I couldn't eat and I couldn't walk around lifting boxes of wine, auction items, etc. When discussing it I was initially very vague and said, "Abdominal surgery." There are select people within both groups who know that I had both HH and WLS surgery, but I'm not ready to be the poster child amongst literally 100 people.

So, I'm on the threshold of the closet. I'm not sure what I'll do as the weight loss becomes more apparent, but right now I feel like it's my business as much as it can be.

And it's pronounced high-ay-tal. Smile.

Hey! Re the lying/hiatal hernia…I did look up the recovery protocol for one and it can be the same/similar as VSG. I just say my doctor's conservative.

Oh man, what a tangled web. But again, it's no one's business…we don't owe them even that much of an explanation.

Here's a blogger's version of it. LOL, maybe she had VSG too...

http://www.3sidesofcrazy.com/2012/05/hiatal-hernia-restricted-diet.html