Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nodule on thyroid gland????

I dont know if you remember but last a couple weeks ago I wrote because I felt like my throat was really tight. Well I went to the Dr and of coarse they thought it was reflux from my band. Even after I told them I have never had reflux. Well I bugged them enough and they sent me for an ultrasound yesterday. They found a nodule on my thyroid and my lymph node on that same side is 3 times bigger then should be. So now I am really freaking out. I just lost my dad this past October from Lymphoma so this is really bringing up a lot of feelings. I just want to know what this is. Have any of you experienced anything like this?

Can't help with personal experience and I can understand your worry particularly after what you have been through with your father. There are lots of things it could be so try not to jump to the worst conclusions. Just try to take a deep breath and take one step at a time?? Are they going to do any other tests, eg thyroid function, needle biopsy etc- unitl they finish doing the assessments you do not know what you are dealing with and while I understand that is scarey ( been there!!), it really is best to cross your bridges as you come to them- don't rush ahead!!

First, take a deep breath. Second, consult your doctor about your worries. As a nurse, I am often confused when people will pose these anxieties to strangers, but not to their health care professionals. IF you do not get answers, persist. There are both benign and malignant thyroid growths. The malignant have an excellent cure rate. The benign are by definition benign. You will probably get information from people about their personal experiances, but I encourage you to to filter this information. Go back to your doctor, make an appointment to talk about your situtation and your concerns.

I had a large nodule and the right side of my thyroid removed in 2000.I had an ultrasound,ct scans,biopsys,all the works.The biopsy came back questionable for cancer so between the biopsy resuly and the surgery I was pretty nervous(I was only 25).Good thing is Thyroid Cancer is the easiest to cure.Surgery was a nightmare because of all the pressure that was put on my ear to remove the nodule, but that was rare.It was suppose to be a easy painless surgery( I had no pain in my neck,Just my ear hurt like hell!!)Anyway everything is fine now.No meds or anything.I try and get a thyroid panel done once a year and so far so good.Good Luck I know it can be a very nerve racking thing finding a lump any where in your body it should't be!!

Annalee- I actually have already been going through my Dr about this for about a month. I am not the type to just wait things out and see if they get better.Sometimes it just feels better to talk to people whenever I am nervous. I go to have a biopsy done today. Thanks for posting back everyone. I will let you know how it goes.

I had a nodule on my thyroid about 3 years ago. Turns out I had thyroid cancer. Removed was: entire thyroid, all but 1 parathyroid, 55 lymph nodes, left jugular vein, parts of several muscles in my neck and shoulder. Turns out the only cancer found was a 3mm nodule on my thyroid. I've been cancer free since, and get annual check ups. I also take a thyroid replacement daily, and my nerves in my left shoulder, neck, and arm are a bit scrambled (touch my shoulder, and I feel it in my arm). Oh yeah, I have a long scar from my left ear across my throat to the right side.

Having said all of that, I'm fine. Thyroid is (as previously mentioned) the "best" most curable cancer you can get, should that be your diagnosis. Hang in there, act quickly, and everything should be fine.

:girl_hug:

Now you don't really know what your growth is, so please don't get too scared. If it is a thyroid tumor, it sounds like it could be treatable. I talked to a friend who had a very agressive tumor on her thyroid gland. She had the entire thyroid gland removed with a follow-up of radiation. She is fine and takes synthroid daily to replace the hormones lost. I can't see any scars, even though I know she had surgery. I think Sharon Stone also had that surgery.

Good luck!

Well I went to the Dr and he said the nodule is 7 mm and they do not asperate unless it is 10 or over. But they did blood work and said everything came back fine. Now I guess we are focusing on my throat and lymph node. It is really bugging me because it is swollen and at night it hurts me ear and jaw a little. I dont have an appointment with an ENT until next Friday. Kind of annoys me because its not like its just a little cold. There is deffinitly something going on and that is the quickest they can see me? I think I am going to call around today to see if anyone can see me sooner. I just want someone to look down my throat with that scope thing. We will see what happens. I will keep you updated. Thanks for the replies.

My DH was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at 21. He had a tumor the size of a large grapefruit growing on his left nodule.

Like everyone said, thyroid cancer is the "Best" to have. Cancer is a scary word and it scared the chit outta me, but he is 100% ok now. Just has to take a thyroid supplement daily... since they ended up removing both glands.