Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my sleeve 10/8. I am having nothing but regrets. All I think about is food. I'm so depressed. I don't think going to a psychiatrist will help this as I have done it before and it didn't. I didn't think it would nearly be this hard as I was told a hormone gets removed that produces the need for hunger and cravings. We'll guess what, I am always hungry and am always craving bread, Pasta, and pizza. I used to go out to eat all the time also and it's killing me not. I know someone a year out and she eats whatever she wants in moderation and is still losing. I don't know if I will get to this point. I just want real food. I haven't even got to purée yet. I am so depressed and need major help.

Hang in there. It will get better.

I promise.

The first couple months after are hard but you will be losing weight so it will help. You will be able to eat anything after a while, but it will always be important to get the Protein first.

It will be totally worth it. Really.

First you need to find a hobby, something that keeps your brain and your hands busy. Second when do you get to purées? That will probably help tremendously. Third are you getting plenty of Protein in? And forth you need to look back at why you chose surgery, was it to make your life better? Keep your head up, you can do anything. Focus on yourself and keep busy.

You'll be ok. I'm approaching 1 year on nov 7. I can eat whatever I want in moderation, but it wasn't easy getting here. It will take time & patience. Believe me, you'll get there. Just allow time for your tummy to heal. I recall when I couldn't wait to get to the next food phase. And really couldn't wait to go on solids. Once I got there, I learned the things that I craved didn't agree with me right away. Some things that I craved when I couldn't have it, I don't crave it now.

I'm good now. So hang in there as it will get better.

Good luck.

I had my sleeve 10/8. I am having nothing but regrets. All I think about is food. I'm so depressed. I don't think going to a psychiatrist will help this as I have done it before and it didn't. I didn't think it would nearly be this hard as I was told a hormone gets removed that produces the need for hunger and cravings. We'll guess what' date=' I am always hungry and am always craving bread, Pasta, and pizza. I used to go out to eat all the time also and it's killing me not. I know someone a year out and she eats whatever she wants in moderation and is still losing. I don't know if I will get to this point. I just want real food. I haven't even got to purée yet. I am so depressed and need major help.[/quote']

I was sleeved oct 10 and I'm afraid that its not working. I lost 7 lbs the first week and gained it back the 2nd week, now I'm just stuck. I'm really depressed about. any suggestions? or has anyone out there experienced this? I feel like I'm completely alone in this and it really makes it hard to stick to what I should be eating. :(

The early days can be really tough, between the discomfort, the liquids, the healing challenges, etc. Head hunger is a really big obstacle to overcome, too. Like any other major change, this takes some adjustment & some missteps. You mentioned seeing a psychiatrist before, but psychiatrists are often more medication-oriented than therapy-oriented. Why not try seeing a counselor/therapist, perhaps one with some experience in eating issues? The surgery is not reversible, so the focus now should be on creating and living the best and happiest life you can. A good therapist can help you get there, and give you a safe & non-judgmental place to get out all the frustrations you're feeling. Good luck!

I was sleeved oct 10 and I'm afraid that its not working. I lost 7 lbs the first week and gained it back the 2nd week, now I'm just stuck. I'm really depressed about. any suggestions? or has anyone out there experienced this? I feel like I'm completely alone in this and it really makes it hard to stick to what I should be eating. :(

The first week or so the scale may not move much. You still have swelling & gotta get rid of all that junk they pumped in you for the surgery. This sleeve will work. Give it some time, and you'll be dropping pounds like crazy. I dropped 25 from surgery to my 30 day post op visit. Had my doctor didn't predict that, I would've felt the same as you are now. So hang in there. It will work. Good luck & keep us posted.

I was soooooo there! I had my sleeve done on sept 30 and I regretted every minute of it! I craved everything! But I promise you it gets better. I've lost 36 lbs and I went through a week plateau where I lost nothing. Now I'm back to my old self. I'm actually happier now! I'm eating 2 oz of food every two hours. And I'll admit it I've even had pizza! Not much but it took the craving away. Hang in there! It will get better!!!

Please try to not be sad. When I would extreme diet, and I did this alot... I would tell myself...you live in America...you can eat food anytime you want..wherever you want. Which is true...it's one of our problems..it's eveywhereeeee. So I would take a deep breath..remind myself..it's not going anywhere . It's not the last supper.

Don't be sad...just hang in there. I want you to succeed.

They suggest that you also take measurements b/c sometimes the scale is not moving but you are losing inches. Also, watch the high calorie drinks like fruit juice as those calories are a lot of sugar and can add up. Its probably not that but thought I would throw it out there since at first I was drinking some of those then switched to flavored water.< /p>

I think everyone has covered it I think:

-emotional withdrawl/head hunger

-acidy feeling very common post op and it feels like hunger to some of us. are you on an acid inhibitor?

-nerves were cut and take time to have full sensation. first several weeks, live by the measureand weight and the clock - don't trust your tummy to tell you when yuo are on food until you are more solid foods

-except you may have a rough time first 6-8 weeks. I didnt feel human until about 12 weeks out

keep your eye on the prize and remember it does get easier

Edited by CowgirlJane

I agree with what everyone here is saying, and also I remember what was discussed at a support meeting that I went to. They said we may actually mourn over the food we have given up. Let's face it a lot of us here were emotional eaters and when you take away the thing that you have been substituting for dealing with your emotions it can be very hard. Any time after a surgery your emotions can be all over the lot and this is no different. Find something else to do besides think about food, or try writing in a journal or blogging about your feelings, get them out don't stuff them.Things will start to settle down in a week or two, and you can begin to make good food choices. And by all means come back here and talk to us, we've all been through it. Good Luck!

When I went to my last doctors meeting, he was telling us that he did surgery on his daughter 6 weeks before. All she did was cry due to mourning the loss off food. The death of her friend, comforter, companion. In a way its the lost of a bad friend. They were around you for all the wrong reasons.

At week one, I could not deprive myself of something I loved, so indulged. I bought instant mashed potatoes... put a teaspoon of mushroom Soup on it and I was happy. I ate one bite, thats all that made me feel better. It IS hard not having it there. After a day or 2, it went in the garbage. My head hunger was satisfied and I could move on. I have to every now and then let myself feel normal. I Eat something everyone else has. We went on a short road trip 2 weeks ago. I made Terry stop and get me a happy meal lol. It was just the thought, I coudln't eat but one fry but I was happy I had it in my hand. Silly I know.

I think its about allowing yourself to work the food and head hunger out of the way. I am just over 4 weeks and I had a big appetite for the first few weeks. but its going away. It must take some time to get out of your system. I get hungry but it only last till that first bite.

Tonite Im having something I call savory...tomato Soup. I have a unsalted saltine with it, just one.. nibble away but gives me that incredible sense of normalcy.

Its kinda funny, I look at what I eat now and realize just how much food I was consuming before. I don't know if any of you have had this, but I am having floods of old memories of me thin come back, old feelings and thoughts. Its like I am becoming the old version of me again and I like that much much better than a big bowl of potatoes and gravy and the misery of all that fat. I am more social and I notice the way others talk to me differently... more positive.

Its the little things in life that make it worth living. Im thankful I will have a tomorrow, Im thankful i don't have the ball and chain of food around my body. I CAN eat what I want. I just choose not to and you will too. Sometimes the strict diet can pull you down. Too much routine, too much of the same foods. Find ways around it. Get a food you love and "taste" it, you don't have to eat it or even much of it. Sometimes just knowing the taste will get you by. My first week I ate some mac and cheese. Just chewed it and out it went, just for the flavor. I was struggling too. But that passed and so even thinking of that doesn't appeal to me. But I needed it that first week or so. I needed to know I can eat eventually. I know I can now so its not such a big deal but try telling me that the first week lol

Good luck with your weight loss. I know you will pull through this time and look back and say boy, glad that parts over lol look at all the weight I have lost.... Food? Eat??? maybe later lol

Edited by kvdme