Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone regret WLS and why?

Yes! Regrets for the first week...then at about four weeks again. Usualky tight before I was switching to a new stage. I got so tired of the stages. HOWEVER...I am 16 weeks out and 49 lbs gone. I am healthier and on less meds. There are no regrets at all now. It won't be all rainbows and butterflies. You will have times of weakness. I hid in the bathroom and wailed on day four. Just like anything else...jobs. ..education...raiding kids...u will have regrets about some of the decisions you make. But wls is a great tool. ..and I don't regret it at all now. Like childbirth...you forget the pain!

I cudnt wait to respond to this thread! I am 28yrs old. I had high blood pressure and was on meds at 25yrs old. I cudnt walk up the stairs without getting out of breath. I cudnt tie my shoe or paint my toenails without a struggle, the only regret I have is waiting 2 years to get the surgery. I have a co-worker that informed me that our insurance pays for this surgery. So I sat back and watched as him and his wife got this surgery and between the 2 of them they lost the weight of 3 people. And I STILL didnt get it. I have 3 boys and I cudnt dance with them I cudnt run or race with them I cudnt ride bikes with them or play basketball with them. I cudnt wrestle with them. Now these are all things that I did wit them this summer. I cant believe the difference that weight made in my life. I run the stairs I jog I wotk out everyday I dont sweat I dont run out of breath like I use to. I played baseball and basketball with my boys this summer we rode bikes we dance all the time! My youngest son (7) can wrap his arms completely around my waist now. I can fit my oldest sons jackets coats and shirts. (Hes 10) im now known as skinnny tiffany instead of the heavey set tiffany lol yes I laugh at it now. My co-workers didnt recognize me, people I have known for years dont recognize me now. And I soak uo every bit of it cuz I deserve it. People think its easy to have this surgery but I wish I cud show them exactly how hard it is. My hubby tells me all the time he admires my strength cuz he cudnt have did the pre-op diet let alone the 2mth long post-op. Even now I don't eat the things I use to. Dont get me wrong im far from perfect but compared to what I ate before...I eat like a bird seriously lol my hubby at the timed weighed 260lbs I was right behind him at 240lbs and I am 5'1 now I am 137lbs and you ask wud I do it again and my answer is in a heartbeat. Do I regret it? My answer is not at all!! I regret not having this done at 24!! Its cheaper on the household its convenient when your to busy to cook its normal! Im now 14mths out I can eat a normal size meal that wudnt look weird to someone that doesnt know ive had this surgery (for those of you who want to keep it a secret) im no longet on bp meds ...I wear a size 6....I cud go on and on about the good things this surgery has brought to me. No I didnt have any complications my surgeon was amazing and I healed wonderful. But if the outcome was the same I wud go thru complications becuz its worth it

[ATTACH]20253[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using VST

post-39689-13838396793589_thumb.png

I cudnt wait to respond to this thread! I am 28yrs old. I had high blood pressure and was on meds at 25yrs old. I cudnt walk up the stairs without getting out of breath. I cudnt tie my shoe or paint my toenails without a struggle' date=' the only regret I have is waiting 2 years to get the surgery. I have a co-worker that informed me that our insurance pays for this surgery. So I sat back and watched as him and his wife got this surgery and between the 2 of them they lost the weight of 3 people. And I STILL didnt get it. I have 3 boys and I cudnt dance with them I cudnt run or race with them I cudnt ride bikes with them or play basketball with them. I cudnt wrestle with them. Now these are all things that I did wit them this summer. I cant believe the difference that weight made in my life. I run the stairs I jog I wotk out everyday I dont sweat I dont run out of breath like I use to. I played baseball and basketball with my boys this summer we rode bikes we dance all the time! My youngest son (7) can wrap his arms completely around my waist now. I can fit my oldest sons jackets coats and shirts. (Hes 10) im now known as skinnny tiffany instead of the heavey set tiffany lol yes I laugh at it now. My co-workers didnt recognize me, people I have known for years dont recognize me now. And I soak uo every bit of it cuz I deserve it. People think its easy to have this surgery but I wish I cud show them exactly how hard it is. My hubby tells me all the time he admires my strength cuz he cudnt have did the pre-op diet let alone the 2mth long post-op. Even now I don't eat the things I use to. Dont get me wrong im far from perfect but compared to what I ate before...I eat like a bird seriously lol my hubby at the timed weighed 260lbs I was right behind him at 240lbs and I am 5'1 now I am 137lbs and you ask wud I do it again and my answer is in a heartbeat. Do I regret it? My answer is not at all!! I regret not having this done at 24!! Its cheaper on the household its convenient when your to busy to cook its normal! Im now 14mths out I can eat a normal size meal that wudnt look weird to someone that doesnt know ive had this surgery (for those of you who want to keep it a secret) im no longet on bp meds ...I wear a size 6....I cud go on and on about the good things this surgery has brought to me. No I didnt have any complications my surgeon was amazing and I healed wonderful. But if the outcome was the same I wud go thru complications becuz its worth it Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using VST[/quote'] skinny Tiffany you are absolutely gorgeous !! Even your before pics. You have done a great job. Congratulations!!!

RJ,

Reading your story makes me wonder if I need to get disability insurance. Did you have coverage for all of your unexpected time recovering? That much lost work would kill my family.

RJ,

Reading your story makes me wonder if I need to get disability insurance. Did you have coverage for all of your unexpected time recovering? That much lost work would kill my family.

No I am a kept woman and a starving artist...lol You never know it is good to be safe then sorry I say.....But not everyone is me right!!

I went into surgery with such anticipation...I could not wait..I was ready and willing to do almost anything to get this show on the road.....

I came home on the 3rd day and returned with a leak 4 days later....This led to 5 months of a hospital stay with several surgeries and other severe complications.....

After 5 months I came home and had nursing care for another 5 months.....Still not out of the woods yet!

Would I do it again..In a split second..I am nothing like I was before surgery..I am living now' date=' before, existing...I love my sleeve and so glad I did it...176 lbs. down...36 to go...I feel so brand new!!!![/quote']

Wow what a journey you've had! And congrats on 176 that's amazing. Way to stay positive amid challenging circumstances.

I am regretting it, I'm on my 5 week and when I try to eat I get a stomach ache....when I'm in liquids I'm ok. As long as I drink slowly.. but eating .. I just Dnt whant to eat I'm afraid of the pain . I'm going to have to call my doctor on monday, I hope is not a leak ..

I am on my 6th week and let me tell you, I felt EXACTLY the same way you do. When I ate something I felt it enter my stomach and it made me uncomfortable and I got a little stomach ache. 2 days ago I started taking Prilosec in the morning. NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE! I can eat without feeling weird anymore. It was the acid causing most of the uncomfortableness. Try it. $9.99 at Walmart or Target for a 14 day regimen but I am not stopping.

I am on my 6th week and let me tell you, I felt EXACTLY the same way you do. When I ate something I felt it enter my stomach and it made me uncomfortable and I got a little stomach ache. 2 days ago I started taking Prilosec in the morning. NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE! I can eat without feeling weird anymore. It was the acid causing most of the uncomfortableness. Try it. $9.99 at Walmart or Target for a 14 day regimen but I am not stopping.

Amazing how much better you feel, right? The generic brand at Walmart, Target or costco is way cheap too.

I have had no complications - knock on wood. I have lost a lot of weight & my mobility ( my number 1 reason for having wls) is much better...but with that being said, I would NOT do it over again. I thought I was ready wls after a year of preparing, but the mental/emotional/social aspect I was not prepared for...I am not me now eating and drinking this way. I hate the way my life is now when it comes to food. Time has given me peace with my decision. I am nearing 8 mths out, but I am not happy about my sleeve. I am making lemonade out of lemons. But I do regret it each and every day. I am in a tiny minority here as you can see. So, don't be nervous, do what is best for you. Best of luck to you.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat also. I've had no serious issues. If I hurt or feel bad after eating its because I've eaten too much or too fast. Mostly I don't want to eat - nothing ever sounds good. That's the worst part I suppose. The only hesitation I had was when the mask was going over my nose in the OR. I briefly had a wtf moment, but I woke up "a few minutes" later feeling great.

I decided a year ago I needed to do something as I was headed down a bad, bad road. I went to a WLS seminar on 11/7, had my first NUT appt November 27th, lost 35 pounds before my surgery in May and have lost another 65 since. Today is my birthday and I hit my goal, when I stepped on the scale today I was 100 pounds down from my HW. I have 24 pounds left to my surgeons goal, 34 for my goal. And just 2 pounds from being "just" overweight! And now I'm silently influencing my office to get healthier. My boss is back on her diet kick, and another coworker is going in for her band to sleeve revision. I can't say enough good things about the choice I have made.

Amazing how much better you feel, right? The generic brand at Walmart, Target or costco is way cheap too.

It's amazing how much better I feel while I eat. For a minute there before I started taking it I literally thought to myself "all enjoyment of eating has pretty much vanished". Now it's back and I feel renewed. I was depressed for a few weeks about it, wondering why I did this to myself. It sucks to be tethered to a drug forever but I'll take it. Prilosec is one of the most effective, safe drugs out there. Especially when you take it with a probiotic since PPI's usually disrupt your good bacteria in your stomach.

I have had no complications - knock on wood. I have lost a lot of weight & my mobility ( my number 1 reason for having wls) is much better...but with that being said, I would NOT do it over again. I thought I was ready wls after a year of preparing, but the mental/emotional/social aspect I was not prepared for...I am not me now eating and drinking this way. I hate the way my life is now when it comes to food. Time has given me peace with my decision. I am nearing 8 mths out, but I am not happy about my sleeve. I am making lemonade out of lemons. But I do regret it each and every day. I am in a tiny minority here as you can see. So, don't be nervous, do what is best for you. Best of luck to you.

I think what you feel is a wildly undiscussed commonality with some sleeve patients. It's an effective surgery but it is not for everyone. That's why when I talk to people who want this surgery, I really tell them to think seriously about what they're doing.

I think what you feel is a wildly undiscussed commonality with some sleeve patients. It's an effective surgery but it is not for everyone. That's why when I talk to people who want this surgery' date=' I really tell them to think seriously about what they're doing.[/quote']

I agree. I think ESP in this forum you are really brave for posting so honestly. It's appreciated.

You know, it is hard but when you drop a size in pants, can breath easier, tie your shoes, wipe yourself easier, walk a flight of stairs easier,no, no regrets....

I find it hard to eat yes, but before I would stuff myself the same way, felt pretty much the same as now actually.... I'm lucky...I won't die from the effects of being obese.....I might out live my friends, see my grand kids finish college and meet their kids...it not about food its about my health...IM 54...I might not have lived much longer... This is blessing...I don't care if I endure a few months of pain, Fear and anger...I'm alive and much to live for....