Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone regret WLS and why?

I just confirmed my surgery for 11/15/13 I'm suddenly nervous. I'm type 2 diabetic and wondering if my liquid diet (start 11/1) is going to help my sugar levels stay normal.

It's good to hear the truth and what works and what doesn't and ideas to keep pre-op diet going and for pos-op as well

I keep wondering if or anyone regrets having the WLS after thinking they were 100% ready.

Please share the good, bad and ugly.

Thank you for sharing.

I went into surgery with such anticipation...I could not wait..I was ready and willing to do almost anything to get this show on the road.....

I came home on the 3rd day and returned with a leak 4 days later....This led to 5 months of a hospital stay with several surgeries and other severe complications.....

After 5 months I came home and had nursing care for another 5 months.....Still not out of the woods yet!

Would I do it again..In a split second..I am nothing like I was before surgery..I am living now, before, existing...I love my sleeve and so glad I did it...176 lbs. down...36 to go...I feel so brand new!!!!

I am two weeks post op and have lost 15 lbs since surgery. I have no regrets so far. I won't lie, there were times in the first 24 hours when I kind of wondered if I had done the right thing. That passed and I haven't looked back. I can't believe how good I feel.

Edited by lilijo

I was nervous about my decision. I even got a bit weepy right before surgery. I worried that somehow the sleeve would not work for me. I worried that someday I may need that other 85% of my stomach! All of that is normal. But here's what happened: My sleeve does work and I've lost almost 80 lbs since then. My blood pressure has dropped from prehypertensive at 120/80 to 107/66. I haven't missed that other 85% a single day so far. I was lucky, I had zero complications. What works is following your doctor's orders both pre and post op. What works is starting to adopt healthy habits like regular exercise. I don't love to exercise but it sure is a lot easier now without all those lbs weighing me down. What works is knowing that you are putting your body through a lot after surgery so stalls might happen, they are normal, and if you stay on track, they will pass.

Good luck with your surgery. It's good to go in with both eyes open as bad stuff can happen but most likely, you will be just fine.

I went into surgery with such anticipation...I could not wait..I was ready and willing to do almost anything to get this show on the road.....

I came home on the 3rd day and returned with a leak 4 days later....This led to 5 months of a hospital stay with several surgeries and other severe complications.....

After 5 months I came home and had nursing care for another 5 months.....Still not out of the woods yet!

Would I do it again..In a split second..I am nothing like I was before surgery..I am living now, before, existing...I love my sleeve and so glad I did it...176 lbs. down...36 to go...I feel so brand new!!!!

Do you know what caused your leak and how did you know something was wrong?

I am regretting it, I'm on my 5 week and when I try to eat I get a stomach ache....when I'm in liquids I'm ok. As long as I drink slowly.. but eating .. I just Dnt whant to eat I'm afraid of the pain . I'm going to have to call my doctor on monday, I hope is not a leak ..

I am regretting it' date=' I'm on my 5 week and when I try to eat I get a stomach ache....when I'm in liquids I'm ok. As long as I drink slowly.. but eating .. I just Dnt whant to eat I'm afraid of the pain . I'm going to have to call my doctor on monday, I hope is not a leak ..[/quote']

Definitely check with your doctor. Good luck to you.

I just confirmed my surgery for 11/15/13 I'm suddenly nervous. I'm type 2 diabetic and wondering if my liquid diet (start 11/1) is going to help my sugar levels stay normal.

It's good to hear the truth and what works and what doesn't and ideas to keep pre-op diet going and for pos-op as well

I keep wondering if or anyone regrets having the WLS after thinking they were 100% ready.

Please share the good' date=' bad and ugly.

Thank you for sharing.[/quote']

Not a single regret here. I am a type 2 diabetic also and before my surgery my A1C was 10.7. 5 months later it is 6.2 and I am off all diabetes meds! I eat small quantities of whatever I want, exercise every day, down 56 lbs and I feel fantastic! Best decision I ever made!

Do you know what caused your leak and how did you know something was wrong?

They told me that the tissue died around the incision and then abscesses formed...This led to a lot of pain and agony. I had a temperature of 104 and I was squirting brown liquid out of my staples....I was pale as a ghost and kept going in and out, passing out! At first it was not painful..I just felt stuffed all the time and off....As it progressed I got worse...I almost died...And my legs and feet started to really swell up...That was the first sign of a problem.

For me, the first 6 weeks (especially the first 7 days) were a lot tougher then I ever thought. I think because going into it I just kept seeing all the posts about how in live with their sleeve they were. The healing process is a struggle because all of a sudden you can't eat like a normal person and it's frustrating. Because if you are someone who turns to food for comfort that's taken away in a second. You are dying to chew something and god help anyone who eats solid food in front of you!

BUT it's all temporary. Everyday you feel better and better. The weight starts coming off and your food options expand. I'm about 4 months out and have lost almost 50 since surgery. I can say now that life after te first 6 weeks is a lot easier then I thought it would be.

Making healthy choices is easier because you see the results and you want to continue that. Plus looking in the mirror and liking what you see - you can't even put into words how good that feels. The surgery is worth it. You are worth it.

They told me that the tissue died around the incision and then abscesses formed...This led to a lot of pain and agony. I had a temperature of 104 and I was squirting brown liquid out of my staples....I was pale as a ghost and kept going in and out, passing out! At first it was not painful..I just felt stuffed all the time and off....As it progressed I got worse...I almost died...And my legs and feet started to really swell up...That was the first sign of a problem.

Wow. That sounds absolutely horrific. Were you a diabetic and did that play a part in you not healing as you should? This is really the worse story I've heard, you definately suffered the most extreme issue.

Wow. That sounds absolutely horrific. Were you a diabetic and did that play a part in you not healing as you should? This is really the worse story I've heard, you definately suffered the most extreme issue.

No I had no health issues except....a lot of weight.....Throughout this year I have posted my story for people to read as an example oh how it might not be a hop, skip and a jump for us.....Some have really appreciated it when things went bad for them....

It was the darkest time in my life....And I changed so much because of it in so many ways....I really think that part of me did die at that time .....

But I Celebrate the changes that are positive and go forward as a new healthier me!!!!! :)

I have no regrets whatsoever. At all. I'm down almost 130 pounds and just 15 left to be a healthy BMI. That being said---- I wish I had been more prepared for what it's like emotionally to have chosen this. I am so happy- hands down- with me decision and progress. In preparing for surgery I thought I'd react well to some changes and have difficulty with others--- for example i thought if have more self esteem and building confidence would be difficult. For me it's been the opposite. I thought those nearest and dearest would have nothing but positive reactions to the changes- despite having a great support system that too is different than I anticipated- some people around me are happy for me but I think compare my success to their struggles and need to distance their involvement- not out of jealousy but the comparison they make ends up making them feel badly maybe....

It's a journey that is fantastic and confusing..., but for me 100% worth it.

I have no regrets whatsoever. At all. I'm down almost 130 pounds and just 15 left to be a healthy BMI. That being said---- I wish I had been more prepared for what it's like emotionally to have chosen this. I am so happy- hands down- with me decision and progress. In preparing for surgery I thought I'd react well to some changes and have difficulty with others--- for example i thought if have more self esteem and building confidence would be difficult. For me it's been the opposite. I thought those nearest and dearest would have nothing but positive reactions to the changes- despite having a great support system that too is different than I anticipated- some people around me are happy for me but I think compare my success to their struggles and need to distance their involvement- not out of jealousy but the comparison they make ends up making them feel badly maybe....

It's a journey that is fantastic and confusing..., but for me 100% worth it.

I have made a similar comment in the past...But in reality..I don't think we can depict most things with this surgery..emotional or physical....Journey you are right!!!!

Hind sight is 20/20...And that is where this forum comes in...You can learn a lot from ones like you and others who have had to struggle to change your life......Just keep swimming!!!! :)