Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I found out yesterday that I was approved. Pre-op appointment 11-4. I'm both excited and scared.

Now I have to figure out if I'm going to reveal this to anyone other than immediate family. I hate to lie but also don't want to hear all of the opinions.

Andrew

Congratulations Andrew!! Huge milestone on your way to a new life. Very excited for you!

YOU decide what you want to disclose and to whom. I personally did not tell more than my sister, husband, and my best friend. Our other friends and family members have noticed my weight loss and I simply tell them I am making wiser food choices, smaller portions and exercising - all of which is true. I have made a life change! I am am extremely private person from the get go so this is about right for my tolerance for revealing personal information. I get great support from the 3 of them but also from those that do not know about the surgery. Bottom line for me is that my friends/family want me to be healthy and they root me on in my life change. if I need support from people who have greatest understanding of my post op questions, needs, issues/challenges I have this web site - excellent support. I continue to learn more each time I visit this forum. You will need to do what you feel is right for you.

Best wishes on your surgery - keep us posted!!

Congratulations Andrew!! Huge milestone on your way to a new life. Very excited for you!

YOU decide what you want to disclose and to whom. I personally did not tell more than my sister' date=' husband, and my best friend. Our other friends and family members have noticed my weight loss and I simply tell them I am making wiser food choices, smaller portions and exercising - all of which is true. I have made a life change! I am am extremely private person from the get go so this is about right for my tolerance for revealing personal information. I get great support from the 3 of them but also from those that do not know about the surgery. Bottom line for me is that my friends/family want me to be healthy and they root me on in my life change. if I need support from people who have greatest understanding of my post op questions, needs, issues/challenges I have this web site - excellent support. I continue to learn more each time I visit this forum. You will need to do what you feel is right for you.

Best wishes on your surgery - keep us posted!![/quote']

I prefer to limit my exposure to 2 of 4 siblings, my wife and daughter. However, not sure how I will avoid telling my boss and coworkers without devising an elaborate lie. My plan has been to tell them I having hernia surgery but I hate to lie.

Excited, confused, and a little scared.

Andrew

I prefer to limit my exposure to 2 of 4 siblings' date=' my wife and daughter. However, not sure how I will avoid telling my boss and coworkers without devising an elaborate lie. My plan has been to tell them I having hernia surgery but I hate to lie.

Excited, confused, and a little scared.

Andrew[/quote']

It's none of your co-workers/bosses business. I didn't tell my employer anything; except what days I needed of. My manager approved my days because I asked well in advance. I was sleeved October 18th, 2013. I'm still off; but honestly I could've gone back in a week. I just took the days off; even though I felt great. Hoping you can decide; although I feel telling your wife is plenty. I only told my son. Good Luck

I simply said I was having surgery. If anyone asked what kind I said "elective". My husband actually said "corrective" instead.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Congratulations on your approval!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

I hope to be there soon.

I wish you a good surgery, an easy recovery and all the very best.

I've told very few people at work. I just feel I cannot trust most with something so personal and I don't need any negative comments.

Yay for you Andrew. I am waiting for my approval but I know it will happen soon. So excited. I told my husband,kids and 1 sis and now my sis is also going to get it done.

My surgeons office will help me file fmla if i want. The only thing it lists is major abdomenal surgery. With hipaa laws, they atent allowed to ask.

I'm scheduled to have surgery December 10. My surgeon is having me do a 3-week liquid/low-cal diet. arghhh....

Today I told my boss that I'm having surgery in December but said it was for a hernia repair. No regrets as I know she'll be blabbing to everyone .... Also, I'm pretty sure she'd have tried to talk me out of WLS and I don't want to hear it.

Andrew