Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There is a Mexican surgeon that has a bad rep, but I don't remember who it is. I just recall reading about a complication he had and someone posted, "I can't believe Dr. ??? is still doing surgeries?"

If I knew a doc had a patient die, there is no way I'd go there, even if it was free. But that's just me.

Edited by SassySenior

There is a Mexican surgeon that has a bad rep, but I don't remember who it is. I just recall reading about a complication he had and someone posted, "I can't believe Dr. ??? is still doing surgeries?"

If I knew a doc had a patient die, there is no way I'd go there, even if it was free. But that's just me.

Thanks for your comment, Sassy! What are your doc's complication and morbidity rates?

The "bad rep" surgeon is definitely not Dr. Aceves. I'm very pleased with his stats as they are better than the average "1 in 400." Dr. Aceve's' reputation is as a caring, experienced surgeon with great surgical skill and bedside manner.

Just wanted to put that out there to clear up any doubt for anyone reading! :D

I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to this question, both here and personally by private message. All of your input has been helpful.

I have been able to research "The Insider" and know who this person works for. While this was a real event, I have some concerns about the way it was presented by The Insider.

I am certainly extend my condolences to the family and for the WLS community when a tragedy strikes, but I feel satisfied that I am in safe hands and I can now move forward confidently. I will be staying with Dr. Aceves, and I'll be sure to update everyone following surgery!

My condolences to the family and may the patient rest in peace, always sad.

Having said that... We all go into this knowing there are risks. We don't really have all the facts here. And I don't really even need them. People sometimes die in surgery or recovery.

My surgeon also had a patient die and that has not caused me to switch doctors. I will still be going to Mexico next week and that doc will still be doing my surgery. I am very healthy, have been following my pre op diet to the letter, no co mrobidities and have 100% faith and trust in my doctor. Now if these doctors had more than one or two I would re examine, but I feel totally comfortable and I'm going in with me eyes wide open. Wishing EVERYONE a safe and rewarding journey! Ciao ...

With any surgery there are risks, especially with general anesthesia. You couple that with patients who already have obesity & comorbidities, there will be complications & deaths sometimes.

When I was first considering different surgeons, I got accepted by 3. I got the constant call backs from coordinators I had given preliminary info to. I made the mistake of telling one the surgeon I was considering - she made up this horror story of how dangerous he was & made up a lie about how he had been her surgeon. I had her name & checked with the coordinator I ended up contracting with - none of it was true. It's a small world for Mexico bariatric tourism, and believe me they know the other reps working that business. I lost all respect for the one who made up a tale in order to try to get my business. I did not end up hiring that surgeon, but not because of a scare story. My coordinator knows & has worked with many surgeons, she told me that the surgeon the other coordinator had maligned was highly skilled & completely safe - and would never have done what this person had accused him of. She had good to say about even a surgeon she no longer worked with - who if I contracted with she would get no profit out of. To me, that was reason to trust her. I ended up contracting with her, MBC and Dr. Lopez. It's just disgusting that a coordinator would lie & smear a surgeons reputation to try to get another contract.

It's just disgusting that a coordinator would lie & smear a surgeons reputation to try to get another contract.

Agreed, 100%.

I'd like to say my husband had his sleeve done by Dr aceves on Saturday. We are still here at the hospital. If you have any questions feel free to ask. We have had a great experience since we arrived here.

I believe there is stuff on this site about that death, but not enough for anyone here to tell you what truly happened and why... there's so much rumour and conjecture, and it sounds like an independent process of investigation might not occur as readily as it would in many other countries. You need to be confident in your surgeon - put your concerns to him directly and if you are not fully reassured then move on. Many people seem to get a "word of mouth" recommendation to a bariatric surgeon. Perhaps a WLS support group in your area might allow you to meet some people face to face and discuss their surgical experiences. I'd happily recommend my surgeon, but it's a long way to come... And surgery in Aus is similar in cost to USA. Good luck.

Yes, it is talked about on this board somewhere. If you search his name, you can probably find the story. It is hard to tell what is fact vs fiction though so it may not be helpful for your decision.

I will be having my surgery with Dr Aceves on Dec 14 2013. I did hear about this story and found it to be sad. No matter who you choose keep in mind no one is a perfect surgeon and people make mistakes.... Everyone's condition is different and so is the outcome! I have full faith in Dr Aceves and this is just one incident. If it has happened more then I would be concerned. Another thing to keep in mind Dr Aceves is a reputable surgeon who has a very strong background in his job and there will always be people in this world who want to destroy someone's reputation. I have full faith in God and Dr Aceves all will be okay. In life there's no guarantee.

I don't think a company as big as Johnson and Johnson would have picked Dr. Aceves to represent them if they didn't have complete faith in him

Im 5 days out from being sleeved by dr. Aceves, and I couldn't be happier!!! I feel great!

How was the post op surgery Nomorecupcakes? What type of pain medication did they give you after surgery?