Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any food addicts here?

Why didn't you tell me that 18 months ago? Or was I just not listening? :P

Oh....I will add, it did work that way with chips and sodas.....but not chocolate damnit.

I don't do much by way of chips, either! Soda, that's a trigger for me and I avoid it. Thankfully, for some reason in my fourth year post op it's started to cause discomfort due to the carbonation. That's good. Because if I have soda, I want soda every day.

chocolate doesn't get me. It's those damned licorice. I could eat them every day. I try not to bring them in the house.

And I definitely wasn't listening or looking for the truth prior to surgery. My sleeve was my magic wand and I was pretty sure it came with a free unicorn, too. It was my cure all and I was sadly disappointed when I was forced to accept that it was up to me to do this for life.

~Cheri

I really thought alot like you. That I got here through constantly making bad decisions. And I let myself go down a path of habitually abusing my body by keeping it high on sugars and high carb starchy foods. My life was a constant battle to avoid the next blood sugar drop' date=' and I avoided it by keeping a fresh supply of sugar going down my pie hole. I really looked at the sleeve as a full reset (as you say). I needed to wipe the slate clean and start over. A full reboot. People talk about making manageable changes one at a time.....that never worked for me. I was too far gone and too unwilling to stick to them. When I got sleeved I changed everything. I eliminated starches, sweets and sodas.....and all processed foods basically. I made exercise a mandatory daily activity...like brushing my teeth and going to work. Not something I would "try to squeeze in." It became my priority.....as did eating right. Not something I would try to do, something I would do no matter who it inconvenienced. What I found was in spite of these major changes I may have very well still been an addict. Addicted to my old behaviors. After 18 months they are not completely gone. They are still there, lurking just under the surface. Ready to take back the reigns if only I'd let them. I can keep them at bay...I can keep control. But I have to remain vigilant. There is no cruise control for me. No automatic pilot setting where I won't slip back down the rabbit hole. I think alot of people come to WLS wanting that....wanting that easy road from here on out. Maybe it exists for some people, but not for everyone. And we have to be prepared for the long fight if it doesn't happen. And I don't think anyone knows how it's going to play out for them until they are further down the road and experiencing it first hand. [/quote']

Well BTB u could most definitely be telling my story.! With the exception of having the determination to do what right for me in meals and exercise From 30 plus yrs of being everyone's Caretaker, mediator, housekeeper, laundress and cook, I have come to realize I true lay do not know how to put myself first..... I get anxious and guilt ridden. This is most definitely going to be my priority going forward. I won't delude myself with thoughts that it will be easy or I won't have setbacks. But I can say I WILL keep going at it. For ME. thanks for your post and yet another wake up call.

Truly ( stupid auto correct!!)

I have been so bad today. I dot know what got into me. I was out with some friends who don't know that I had the surgery, and went to a French bakery. I tried to be good and order some duck, but it was bad, I returned it, and they suggested I just play it safe, and get a sandwich. I didn't even hesitate... I ordered a "croque Monsieur" which is a sandwich, most of the time made with baguette and Swiss cheese, and ham. Sometimes with a bechamel on top. I ate 4 regular bites of it. Then they gave free mimosas, and I had 3 to 4 sips :-/ And we all went to mechies to get frozen yogurt, and I didn't buy any, but I literally had a little tasting cup of each flavor. I feel very bad about all this; especially the French baguette. I need to get back on track NOW. Being a carb addict, it just triggered something and I want more. And the worst part is that It was not uncomfortable at all. I was absolutely fine. Isn't that unusual for being only 2 months post op? *sigh* Well, I'm gonna go have a Protein Shake now, and try to forget today ever happened....

..... Being a carb addict, it just triggered something and I want more. And the worst part is that It was not uncomfortable at all. I was absolutely fine. Isn't that unusual for being only 2 months post op? *sigh* Well, I'm gonna go have a Protein shake now, and try to forget today ever happened....

That sounds like me. If I stick with solid Protein, my restriction works wonderfully. If I start up with the sugar and flour based products, it's like I was never sleeved. I can really put away alot of donuts holes.

It's so interesting how there is such a variety to the experiences people have after being sleeved...

I was so happy to see this thread. I'm Stacie and I'm 18 days post op. I'm a total food addict.

5'10

HW 360

SW 276

CW 259 as of last Sunday.

At my high weight I researched Bariatric surgery and family dissuaded me. I started a 12- step program food Addicts in recovery 13 yrs ago and lost over 200 lbs. over the course of the years a gained and lost 100lbs 4 times. This last time I gained 100 in less than a year and pursued the sleeve again. So far, no complications. Had a hernia repaired, who knew? I've been able to get in Protein and fluids as my dr suggests. However, I've started picking at things I shouldn't. I'm on soft foods and I've had Jerky and a pop chips. I really know this my old and typical behavior with food and want to change to better habits now. I haven't thought of my sleeve as a magic bullet, but I know I've underestimated the work I'll have to do to make use if the blessed tool I've been given. I have a therapist, but I'm thinking about going back to 12-steps for support. Anyone participate in 12-step meetings or the like for WLS? Any experience will help. I'm in No. California. Thx!

have eaten off plan a bit lately and wondering if anyone participates in support outside of WLS support groups, like 12-step meetings?

Count me in as a food addict. Thank you all so much for your sharing. It is not a matter of misery likes company but rather I am not alone or the one that the dr. really only took out 20% of my stomach.

All the text here are similar. I am too slowly getting over the habit of making food a priority. I still eat comfort foods but it is not satisfying like it used to be. Carbs r a major problem for me still! Thk God I can eat only a very sm amt. Good luck everyone

Almost all of us are addicts, even if many are in denial before surgery! I was absolutely in denial about my disordered eating. I was certain that surgery was going to be my fix because my issues were completely due to insulin resistance (and type 2 diabetes), hormones and genetics.

Fast forward to reality and nope, disordered eating doesn't disappear with surgery.

My experience is that it gets much easier to deal with in the early months post op. All the way up to at least a year out, it was very easy to say no to food. Eating was a chore. I was really able to focus on changing my bad habits in for better ones.

But the sad truth is that it never goes away. We are truly like alcoholics. We don't get to start binges or poor habits again without repercussions, and possibly a downhill slide that ends with the foulest of post-WLS words: REGAIN.

I'm three years out. I was so sure somewhere in my second year that I'd beaten my addiction, that my habits were fully changed and that I was absolutely in charge. And don't get me wrong, because it's still far easier to stay on top of my habits or to break the cycle than it was with my whole stomach. But it's still a challenge sometimes.

I used to think I had a skinny girl inside me that wanted out. The truth is more that there's a really hungry fat girl inside me, and she wants to eat all the food, all the time. It doesn't matter to her if I'm physically hungry. My obesity did not stem from actual hunger! It stemmed from years of poor habits, binges, overeating and an absolute inability to walk away from the junk food.

And that, my friends, doesn't go away post op. Yes, you can replace those habits and those cravings. And yes, it's much easier to do it immediately post op. But the longer I'm around here the more I see that it's actually a rare few that chug along more than two years post op demon free. The rest of us still fight our food demons, and while it's an easier win than it was pre-op, the sad truth for some of us is that the fight doesn't end.

~Cheri

Still true then and now. Sometimes I don't feel like I had surgery since I do feel overall fantastic compared to pre-op.

Thanks for your post its enlightening.

I am a food addict. I am just trying to do the best I can. I feel there are NO scales in heaven!

"LBD" I would also do the EXACT same thing. I would go out alone and not let anyone tag along because I knew I wasn't just going to get some hair product at CVS, but because I knew I'd be buying all kinds of junk, sit in the car, and eat them, and hide the rest in my purse so I'd eat it later when everyone is asleep. And airing out the car? Oh yeah! I'd stop at McDonald's and stuff my face in the car, dispose of all evidence, and air the car out while going back home. And you know, I have never admitted to any of this to anyone. So I'm really glad to be able to share this with you guys and not be judged. I did this surgery because I knew I would die this way if I didn't do anything that would keep me in control.

I'm amazed.... I've always thought I was the only human being on the planet who did this. Who knew we weren't alone? Lol

I'm amazed.... I've always thought I was the only human being on the planet who did this. Who knew we weren't alone? Lol

Lol yeah, I used to think so too. But one thing I learned, in life, there's nothing we do or think that is new to this world.

Ditto for what Lipsticklady said. I, too, am a recovering carb addict. I could eat 8-10 bananas a day in addition to my other food. If anything in the fridge had potatoes or noodles in it, I would reach for that first. A piece of toast with Breakfast???? How about 6?

Thank goodness for the 3 month pre-op diet. What I liked was that the NUT wanted access to my myfitnesspal data, so that I had to be accountable. I lost 23 pounds on it as a head start for my sleeve.

Now that I have had my new petite tummy for a month, I know the importance of maximizing the nutrition that I put in that 1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons that I am allowed. Definitely, 4 hours of extreme discomfort is a good penalty for indiscretions.

I had one banana last week and I had to cut it in thirds to last three days. Oh well.