Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting weight on

Just weighed myself bc my jeans don't fit. I gained 12lbs!!! I'm totally miserable. I know what I'm doing and can't believe that I am doing this to myself again. I'm going for a TT in 12 days. I have to get the bulk of this off. Back to basics? Or any suggestions??

Back to basics seems like a good place to start!

When did you have sleeve surgery?

Edited by Michellemo

Just weighed myself bc my jeans don't fit. I gained 12lbs!!! I'm totally miserable. I know what I'm doing and can't believe that I am doing this to myself again. I'm going for a TT in 12 days. I have to get the bulk of this off. Back to basics? Or any suggestions??

Good morning! I am so sorry about the weight gain. All I can tell you is what I do, what I've done from the beginning. For me it is a total lifestyle change, as natural to me as breathing. I call this my 'dashboard'.

1) I weigh EVERY day. I KNOW how quickly I could gain eight or ten pounds, and that would be overwhelming to me. If I'm up a pound or two, I just make a change or two and it's gone in several days.

2) I weigh and/or measure my food when I am at home (eye ball it carefully when out)

3) I log my food on my fitness pal. Before discovering MFP, I used fitday.com and at the VERY beginning, I have a spiral notebook and wrote it down.

4) I attend support groups

My comfort zone is 142 - 145, I weigh first thing in the morning, out of bed, go to the bathroom and on the scale. A pound or two is manageable, but for me, I cannot go by how my jeans fit, by that time I'd be up ten pounds and it would take me a few months to get that off, I'm sure of it. I must track my calorie, there is a fine line for me between maintaining, gaining and losing. I've been doing this for over 2.5 years, so I've got the hang of it, but I can never be complacent. Like I said, this is my new normal. This is why I call what I do, my dashboard, if a 'light' comes on, and to me, being up a couple of pounds, or my calories being above what I need.....those are my lights. I just change things up a little, meaning, I lower my calories by 100 -150 and that takes care of it.

Make sense? My advice is, find something that works for you, something you can do forever, there is no end date, we've made a lifetime commitment.....and make it part of your life. Good luck, you can do this.

Good morning! I am so sorry about the weight gain. All I can tell you is what I do, what I've done from the beginning. For me it is a total lifestyle change, as natural to me as breathing. I call this my 'dashboard'.

1) I weigh EVERY day. I KNOW how quickly I could gain eight or ten pounds, and that would be overwhelming to me. If I'm up a pound or two, I just make a change or two and it's gone in several days.

2) I weigh and/or measure my food when I am at home (eye ball it carefully when out)

3) I log my food on my fitness pal. Before discovering MFP, I used fitday.com and at the VERY beginning, I have a spiral notebook and wrote it down.

4) I attend support groups

My comfort zone is 142 - 145, I weigh first thing in the morning, out of bed, go to the bathroom and on the scale. A pound or two is manageable, but for me, I cannot go by how my jeans fit, by that time I'd be up ten pounds and it would take me a few months to get that off, I'm sure of it. I must track my calorie, there is a fine line for me between maintaining, gaining and losing. I've been doing this for over 2.5 years, so I've got the hang of it, but I can never be complacent. Like I said, this is my new normal. This is why I call what I do, my dashboard, if a 'light' comes on, and to me, being up a couple of pounds, or my calories being above what I need.....those are my lights. I just change things up a little, meaning, I lower my calories by 100 -150 and that takes care of it.

Make sense? My advice is, find something that works for you, something you can do forever, there is no end date, we've made a lifetime commitment.....and make it part of your life. Good luck, you can do this.

I also weigh every morning. I'm always so surprised when people on here say it's unhealthy to do that. I would flip out if I weighed only once a week and my scale said I was up 10 lbs! My body wants to be fat so I must keep on top of it. I would rather be up a pound in the morning and deal with that then be up 10 and be freaked out on how to get it off.

Good luck with your tummy tuck!

Good morning! I am so sorry about the weight gain. All I can tell you is what I do' date=' what I've done from the beginning. For me it is a total lifestyle change, as natural to me as breathing. I call this my 'dashboard'. 1) I weigh EVERY day. I KNOW how quickly I could gain eight or ten pounds, and that would be overwhelming to me. If I'm up a pound or two, I just make a change or two and it's gone in several days. 2) I weigh and/or measure my food when I am at home (eye ball it carefully when out) 3) I log my food on my fitness pal. Before discovering MFP, I used fitday.com and at the VERY beginning, I have a spiral notebook and wrote it down. 4) I attend support groups My comfort zone is 142 - 145, I weigh first thing in the morning, out of bed, go to the bathroom and on the scale. A pound or two is manageable, but for me, I cannot go by how my jeans fit, by that time I'd be up ten pounds and it would take me a few months to get that off, I'm sure of it. I must track my calorie, there is a fine line for me between maintaining, gaining and losing. I've been doing this for over 2.5 years, so I've got the hang of it, but I can never be complacent. Like I said, this is my new normal. This is why I call what I do, my dashboard, if a 'light' comes on, and to me, being up a couple of pounds, or my calories being above what I need.....those are my lights. I just change things up a little, meaning, I lower my calories by 100 -150 and that takes care of it. Make sense? My advice is, find something that works for you, something you can do forever, there is no end date, we've made a lifetime commitment.....and make it part of your life. Good luck, you can do this.[/quote']

Good advice

I also weigh myself daily. It's the only way I can keep ahold of this. At first I felt I was being obsessed, but honestly, that's what I need to do for ME to remain in control.

And if I see it go up a lb or two, I correct myself. I tend to gain a lb or 2 when I lose sight of reality (lately with me, it's too many aloholic beverages). And I put myself back in check.

I also weigh every day. And when I want to drop a lb or two fast, I drop to 800 calories and walk a little longer in the mornings. I do not starve on 800 calories. It allows for plenty of low fat Protein, nonfat dairy, and no starchy veggies. Also, I'm more vigilant about my fluids and be sure to get at least 64 ozs.

Lynda

It can creep up when you turn your back, so don't turn your back on it! I gained 16 while my back was turned, then 6 more when I tried to lose it.... finally found a plan that worked and am down below the 22 gained, it took me WAYYYY longer to lose it than it did to gain it, so keep an eye pealed, and get back on track, you can do it!

Do you think vets should still weigh daily? I am thinking 2 x a month would be ok, to keep an eye on fluctuations. A mirror and sense of body contours with and without clothes on seems to be a good daily sniff test.

Do you think vets should still weigh daily? I am thinking 2 x a month would be ok, to keep an eye on fluctuations. A mirror and sense of body contours with and without clothes on seems to be a good daily sniff test.

For me, what I see in the mirror is not reality and why would I do that when all I need to do is step on the scale?

I think if it is at all possible that a vet can possibly re-gain, then weighing every day is a no brainer...IF maintaining is important to them.

We are all different, but to me, this is my last chance, I had 85% of my tummy cut out, I've sat in a support group with a woman who stopped doing everything she had done to lose the weight, She came back to a support group 70 lbs heavier. She cried, she was at a loss.

I am not delusional enough to think it couldn't happen to me, I KNOW me and I know how quickly I can gain weight. No way, not if I can help it. What I do every single day is no problem, no real effort, it's my new life. I exchanged guilt and big clothes for being in control.....for the first time ever, I AM in control of food, it does not control me. I pray that I'll never become complacent.

Edited by NtvTxn

Do you think vets should still weigh daily? I am thinking 2 x a month would be ok' date=' to keep an eye on fluctuations. A mirror and sense of body contours with and without clothes on seems to be a good daily sniff test.[/quote']

I am a strong proponent of daily weighing. Everyone must find their own path in maintenace, but daily weighing is a cornerstone of my success during weight loss and in maintenance.

Lynda

During this process I taught myself to weight and not be pushed around by the number (most of the time) I try not to feel high or low from what I see on the scale... its not a reflection of my worth, only my weight. I have to weigh to stay in charge. It only takes a second to weight...much longer to undo the damage caused by not knowing for sure. I used to hate being tied to the scale, I'm over that now.