Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On August 14th my wife had the gastric sleeve surgery. 2 months later she has lost 60 pounds however for the first 5-6 weeks after her surgery she couldn't keep down any food or liquids and had to go back to the emergency room about twice a week for IV fluids to keep her hydrated. The surgeon said for the first few weeks that it was normal. Then a week later scheduled a dilatation to stretch her stomach. The procedure was done and then things got much worse. She was violently vomiting even when she wasn't eating or drinking. She went back to the ER and they just gave her fluids again and sent her home. They did this for another 2 1/2 weeks until she went to see her surgeon again and this time they gave her a prescription for nausea Patches and a suppository which helped for a while but only a short while. She is still using the nausea meds and able to keep a very small amount of liquids down but now she is having shaking sensations and losing her hair and is unable to keep her Vitamins and other meds down. Her doctor will not do anything else to help her and keeps telling her to give it time but this is really effecting her whole life. She had her surgery done at University of Virginia. There really isn't any other places around that will see her that accepts her insurance. I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

That sounds horrible. Try to find a doctor that can help her....this doesn't sound right at all.

Yeah and the surgeon's head nurse is telling her that her extreme vomiting is normal. They have jerked her around so much and I am sick of it.

I would be demanding the paperwork she signed for the surgery, going through it with a fine tooth comb to see what they have to cover post-operatively. They have already determined there was a stricture - else they wouldn't have attempted to stretch her stomach. However, these are often repeated as it takes time to achieve it. Have they done a leak test? Have they x-rayed her to see if her stomach has twisted (become volvulus)? Personally and if it was me and based on the paperwork and symptoms? I'd be parked on their doorsteps until they did something. If they still resisted, I'd be seeking legal representation.

A simple blood test will tell them how malnourished she is.. which is not acceptable for as far out as she is... This smells a bit like palming you off until the 'cover' for the procedure has expired...

I'm sorry for your troubles, but get your legal eggs in order and then get some representation....

I wish your wife a very speedy recovery.

and for the record.. Extreme vomiting is NOT the norm... not in any way shape or form... Get that paperwork and get on it.

Does she have a primary care doctor? Maybe he or she can help her. Did they do any tests on her? Cat scan, swallow test or blood work? I'm sorry she's going through this. My prayers are with you both!

At first they did not do the swallow test, in face they let her go the next day which was not standard procedure. Then when she came back to the ER they did it. They have done xrays too as well as blood work and said everything looks fine. Should we seek legal advice?

In Richmond theres centers of excellence - I'd call the insurance company nurse line & see if theres any providers locally that they can refer her to. Many insurance companies offer that service for free-they'll even call the dr's office for you & make appointments for you.

( I work in medical field it happens at least once a week, even for the " crappy" insurances)

For the record, I was sleeved just over 2 weeks ago & haven't thrown up once.

Somethings wrong.

Stand strong.

Don't give up!!!

allons-y

Have a look at your paperwork first. It seems they have done all the tests without finding anything, but it still hasn't resolved your wife's issues.. So as far as negligence goes, their bases are pretty covered. The best I can suggest is that you sit on their doorsteps until they do something which resolve the issues. Ideally, your wife would be taken in and observed for a few days... Continually make a lot of noise until they do something.. That would be my advice.

I'm so sorry to hear that and keeping you both in prayer this is really sad, I hope someone is willing n able to help her even if you have to travel to another hospital

At first they did not do the swallow test' date=' in face they let her go the next day which was not standard procedure. Then when she came back to the ER they did it. They have done xrays too as well as blood work and said everything looks fine. Should we seek legal advice?[/quote']

By chance is she on liquid vicodine? I was violently ill for almost three months same exact couldntbhold nothing down mot even Water er almost daily for 9 weeks blood test xrays come to find out the liquid vicodine was poisioning me...I quit it and have not been sick sense....hope she gets some relief soon

That's terrible and nothing about it is normal! Do NOT let them tell you otherwise. Extreme vomiting is not normal. Have a seat in the lobby and stay there until they do something else. That's terrible medical care. Sorry to hear.

By my calculation she's 7-9 weeks out? Something is definitely not right. Find out what size bougie was used. It should be a36 or 38 , but some MDs will use a 40-42....too small. Vomiting the first week, even the second week...but this far out.... Is she able to tolerate anything? The esophagus and the new stomach can become pretty irritated and inflamed with that much vomiting, so liquids would be the recommendation.. Sips, not gulps. Breath and relax...but I would be calling that office for sure

I would change doctors, don't waste your time with legal issues, fix the problem you need a new doctor, go see a gastrointeralogist! They will do labs and can look into the stomach ect! It is common that people think a GI doctor doesn't look at the stomach but they do!!!! If your doctor isn't helping you don't waste you time trying to make them!!! Find someone who cares maybe another in the same specialty????

I'm having my surgery done by Dr. Carmody at St. Mary's in Richmond. It's a Center of Excellence and they are all great. Their number is (804)893-8683. If that's not too far from you, definitely call and see if they take your wife's insurance. As everyone else has said, this is not normal! Hope everything works out for you!