Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nurses- when are you going back to work?!

I am gettin sleeved Monday the 21st and I am only taking a week off. Now after reading how long you guys are taking I'm nervous it won't be long enough..

What type of nursing do you do? Even if I did a desk nursing job, i cannot even imaging going back after one week! You are very brave and ambitious! You may want to be open to taking more time off if they let you...

Best wishes and luck for Monday though! I'll be thinking about you! Keep us updated on how you're feeling!

Hi! I am now the field nurse supervisor at my company in which it consist of me getting out in the field making homevisits etc. I was told 2 weeks by my doctor. I was sleeved 10/7/13. I actually went back to work Monday and just did office work filing putting my charts in order. I do miss my nap time during the day! Lol! My supervisor told me at anytime I don't feel well I can leave. But so far I have been doing good.

The naps are amazing! Not sure how I'm ever going to let those go!

I am gettin sleeved Monday the 21st and I am only taking a week off. Now after reading how long you guys are taking I'm nervous it won't be long enough..

It will not be long enough,

I work in a physician's office and I took 3 weeks off. I couldnt lift anything over 10lbs for a month but I work in a very busy OB Gyn office so I dont really have to lift patients. I felt 3 weeks was plenty of time but my manager did let me do phone triage for the first week so I could get back in to the swing of things.

Edited by clmsntgrgrl

What type of nursing do you do? Even if I did a desk nursing job' date=' i cannot even imaging going back after one week! You are very brave and ambitious! You may want to be open to taking more time off if they let you...

Best wishes and luck for Monday though! I'll be thinking about you! Keep us updated on how you're feeling![/quote']

I work on a geriatric physc unit. & thank you I can't believe it's almost here!

I took 7 weeks. No grief from anyone about it. My managers wanted me to come back at 100%, and I planned for any complications that might prolong my recovery. I work in pediatrics and I have to be able to lift/bend/scoop/partially tackle my patients when needed. There's no way I could've come back sooner than 4 weeks. My first full week back exhausted me too.

Well I was planning on going back in 2 weeks but I'm not having the best recovery. I am neurosurgery nurse and I am very blessed with an understanding boss. Most of the sleeve patients at our hospital go back to work between weeks 2-5. I'm kinda a work-a-holic and wanted to get back ASAP, but my body has other plans. lol

I work on a geriatric physc unit. & thank you I can't believe it's almost here!

OMG. You have to deal with the pts sundowning and acting up- I'm assuming because I've worked with regular geri patients. You may need more time girl. Week one I felt great but the past few days my energy has been down. I think you may also have to think about your postop diet, how the progression through the diet will be, and how hard it is to get fluids in postop. It's not easy. You're tummy will still be rumbling and acting up!

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}

I took 7 weeks. No grief from anyone about it. My managers wanted me to come back at 100%' date=' and I planned for any complications that might prolong my recovery. I work in pediatrics and I have to be able to lift/bend/scoop/partially tackle my patients when needed. There's no way I could've come back sooner than 4 weeks. My first full week back exhausted me too.[/quote']

My supervisor suggested that I request FMLA, I have the paperwork ready. My surgeon thought like 4 weeks for me. I'm an Rn, but no serious physical labor. I work from home on my computer for an insurance company. Good luck to everyone!

Well I was planning on going back in 2 weeks but I'm not having the best recovery. I am neurosurgery nurse and I am very blessed with an understanding boss. Most of the sleeve patients at our hospital go back to work between weeks 2-5. I'm kinda a work-a-holic and wanted to get back ASAP' date=' but my body has other plans. lol[/quote']

I was thinking the same thing, but was planning on 4 instead.... Now I'm thinking 6 or more! It's just so much work trying to keep up with liquids and Protein, it's a full time job by itself! I'm also in grad school for a MSN and return to class next week (at least it's online asynchronous, meaning I can log in anytime), so I already have a lot on my plate! Have to slow down and take care of ourselves though- as nurses we often get so carried away taking care of others we forget about ourselves... I'm gonna try really hard to look out for myself!

I'm a student, but have clinicals. I was released at 4 weeks and been great.

Well I must admit I went back to work as a nurse 5 days after! I did not tell anyone I was having the surgery and felt great after! I work In critical care and if I had a heavy patient I just asked for help if needed! I can't imagine taking FMLA for this surgery!

Well I must admit I went back to work as a nurse 5 days after! I did not tell anyone I was having the surgery and felt great after! I work In critical care and if I had a heavy patient I just asked for help if needed! I can't imagine taking FMLA for this surgery!

I work in pediatric critical care- had surgery last Tuesday, and just thinking about going back on Monday makes me sick to my stomach! I jealous you felt so well, good for you! I figure since I can collect disability while I'm out, I might as well take the extra time to heal up properly- but that's awesome that you were able to jump right back into it!

I work in pediatric critical care- had surgery last Tuesday' date=' and just thinking about going back on Monday makes me sick to my stomach! I jealous you felt so well, good for you! I figure since I can collect disability while I'm out, I might as well take the extra time to heal up properly- but that's awesome that you were able to jump right back into it![/quote']

Agreed!! I never take time for myself. I want to focus on myself for once and not put work first. When I went back to get my drain out, Dr had a talk with me about work (and this isn't the first time- my PCP has been scolding me about work for years now). I was working FT at my regular position and doing a FT travel position for 15 weeks up until 2 days prior to surgery. Needless to say, I was ready for this break! That's wonderful that you were able to bounce back and do all the things we need to do postop properly.

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}