Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss Poll - Please post your experience to help others

Hair Loss Poll  

33 members have voted

1. 1. For people >= 8 months post op: At what month did hair loss start?

• I am 8 mos or more out and I never had hair loss.
    • Hair loss started about 1 month out
    • Hair loss started about 2 months out
    • Hair loss started about 3 months out
    • Hair loss started about 4 months out
    • Hair loss started about 5 months out
    • Hair loss started about 6 months out
    • Hair loss started about 7 months out
    • Hair loss started about 8 months or more out
  2. 2. How many months did actually hair loss last?

• Actual Hair loss lasted about 1 month
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 2 months
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 3 months
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 4 months
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 5 months
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 6 months
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 7 months
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 8 months or more.
    • No Hair Loss so 0 months
  3. 3. Rapid weight loss and major surgery are both factors for hair loss even for non-sleevers. We have two of those which increases our chances even more. What did you feel contributed to your hair loss?

• Not taking vitamins
    • Low iron
    • Low protein intake
    • Rapid weight loss
    • The surgery itself
    • N/A I had no hair loss.

I created a similar poll a while ago but feel it better belongs on the veteran page in order to get more responses. I will use this poll to refer new sleevers to when they ask about hair loss. Thank you for taking the time to vote. I am 17 months post sleeve and well past the Hair loss days but I know it is a big concern for newer sleevers. I am on a few support groups and this will give me info to pass along to those concerned about hair loss.

I edited the poll so all questions relate even for those with no hair loss.

It only takes a second to vote, please do so in order to give helpful information to those who have not been through it yet.

Thanks,

~Sue

Edited by suzcomptime

I am at 34 months and still have more hair loss than before surgery. It had slowed down, at around 18 months, then I started losing some regained weight and this increased the Hair loss again. I have lots of shorter hair around my face, of different lengths, and never had this before surgery. I did take zinc for a while, and that seemed to help the hair loss..... should start taking it again! The texture is different too, as are my nails.

edit:

Don't get me wrong, my hair is much thicker than it was at around 18 months, after losing maybe 30%, its mostly back, but different lengths and texture.

Edited by feedyoureye

I haven't lost any hair but the poll wont let me vote since the other 2 questions didn't pertain to me. I'm a little over a year out. I still have 50 pounds until goal, super slow loser but oh well I haven't given up.

I can't vote in poll from ipad. Hair loss began at 4 months and regrowth began around 1 year. Took several months for hair to be full to the ends again because it's below my shoulders. Its just as thick as ever now. Lynda

Edited by lsereno

My hair is so full at nearly 2 years out... i am back to havingto have it thinned. one of these days i need to get a photo ofmyself done up... I have quite a head ofhair when not contained,,,lol

I haven't lost any hair but the poll wont let me vote since the other 2 questions didn't pertain to me. I'm a little over a year out. I still have 50 pounds until goal, super slow loser but oh well I haven't given up.

I have since edited question 2 & 3 so you have an option to use if you did not have Hair loss.< /p>

Thanks

Sue

My hair is so full at nearly 2 years out... i am back to havingto have it thinned. one of these days i need to get a photo ofmyself done up... I have quite a head ofhair when not contained,,,lol

I just had mine thinned too. The back and sides were sticking out and driving me crazy but I thought back to the thinning days and thanked my lucky stars.

Sue

I can't vote in poll from ipad. hair loss began at 4 months and regrowth began around 1 year. Took several months for hair to be full to the ends again because it's below my shoulders. Its just as thick as ever now. Lynda

Thanks for the response!

Sue

Sure. I sheded like a dog between month 3 and 7. I have always had a thick mane of hair. always. Little hairs were piling up everywhere and it was easy to pull out bunches at a time. It has since stopped after that and has not repeated in last 8 months. I ate a lot of Protein and Vitamins, so that did not prevent my iPad screen getting covered with hair. It will happen to most folks. Just know, it too shall end. I think it is just the weaker hair follicles dieing out. They twill be replaced with stronger, healthier hair follicles as time goes on.

<----- Almost seven months out does it look like I lost any? I cant tell.......

Hahaha! :lol:

I think for some of us, even when we get all our Vitamins, Protein, Water, etc. we still just lose hair, and my own personal belief is basically that it's due to the weight loss. Years ago I did Medifast and lost my hair then too. No surgery needed, just weight loss.

I didn't go bald, and it mostly grew back. It might be slightly thinner today than it was 3 years ago before I had WLS, but not by much.

Idk, your hair looks so thick and healthy!! How do you keep it so shiny?? What products do you use?!!?? ;-P

Idk, your hair looks so thick and healthy!! How do you keep it so shiny?? What products do you use?!!?? ;-P

I just never wash it... LOL