Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance Hoops? or just finance the thing and go to Mexico

I was thinking the same thin as the first post. I think that with all the pre-op meeting, X-rays, Nutritionist, psych. Eval, doctor consultation, BMI criteria, blood work, EKG, and initial seminar you have to go to the insurance company should be satisfied. You shouldn't have to wait 6 months to a year. Then some people have to have a referral from their primary doctor before trying to enroll in the weight loss surgery program. Mexico would be faster!!

Edited by DPH

Another thing you might want to consider, as a self-pay if you have complications then your insurance can deny payment for any costs related to them. I am not trying to be a downer, but complications do sometimes happen. If you would have any, are you prepared to pay for those potential expenses?

The wait may seem to be long, but you can learn a lot during the process. You can also start stocking up on Protein, recipes, making small changes in your diet and lifestyle to make the adjustment easier post surgery. Make the most out of this time and learn things about your self in the process.

Good luck.

I'm totally agree with the 1st post. I originally had planned to go to Mexico! but my husband wanted me to at least try the insurance route 1st. Hopefully I will be approved soon if not I will be spending my Christmas break in TJ. If I had to do it over again I would had just went to Mexico in the 1st place and stayed myself a lot of frustration and time off work for pre-op visits.

I like the insurance hoops. As much of a pain as they can be, one of the benefits to me was that it gave me time to really, really consider the decision I was making, go to some support groups, browse these forums, etc. Just my $0.02.

I'm just curious if I'm the only one who has considered this. We all know what the insurance companies make you go through to get this surgery' date=' and not that I don't think it is necessary because I do think that the insurance companies have every right to qualify people for this surgery. But my thought is that why wait to get through the 6-12 months of insurance hoops when theoretically you could go to Mexico and finance the surgery and get your life started in a quicker fashion. I'm in no way swimming in cash, but I am anxious to get to the next level and when you are waiting 2-4 weeks at a time just for the next appointment, I kind of feel like I'm just waiting to live. Maybe this seems somewhat logical to me because I wouldn't have to fly anywhere to get to Mexico because I'm in San Diego....maybe I'm crazy?? Just curious if anyone thought the same way I do??[/quote']

I too live in San Diego and would love to begin my journey right now but I want to see if my insurance will approve me first. It is a lot offend and I would rather not have to finance it or wait for income tax refund next year. There are a lot of hoops to go thought; however, I at least want to say I tried. Totally think the same way you do!

I am scheduled to go to Mexico. November the 8th is the date. I was so ready to have this done after all research I had done. Tired of being tired. I have four children who depend on there momma and also knew healthcare insurance would be affected after first of year. We decided this was worth the extra a month to put towards my life. Happy to start life as soon as I can.

I am looking into to Mexico as well. I already had a band put in in the States 2009. It needs to be removed. My insurance will removed but wont do a sleeve until my BMI is high enough to qualify. I am trying to find out what I have in my flex spending account on health and apply to surgery in Mexico. Two of my friends have done it, swear by it. They loved the entire process, the hospital everything and are really pushing me to go this route. Dr. Lopez did their surgery. I am sure there a million Dr. Lopezs', it was in TJ. But that is all I know.

I guess what Im really afraid of is getting through the whole program and getting denied...does anyone know if that happens a lot?

I'm not sure, my friend went through kaiser in San Diego. They actually send the patients to one of the top notch, best surgeons in the country for this procedure. (Also in San Diego) She was about 220 and 5'7, no problems getting approved for her. Personally, I even considered the same thing about Mexico but I chose to stick it out with my insurance and my surgeon here in sd because u would have to finance the procedure if I went to Mexico. I don't want to do that. I started back in June and before I know it, surgery is 11/26.

Wow, congrats on the up-coming surgery. I too am in San Diego and just starting the process with kaiser. I would like to hear more about your experience. Having the surgery done in Mexico was actually my first thought but after researching it I changed my mind and opted to go through the insurance process. It is a but long but I want to be fully prepared plus like you I would rather not finance it. Good luck to you !