Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. My name is Ashley and I am a coffee-aholic.

I gotta say, I love my coffee...I'm from the home of Starbucks after all! I am so nervous to detox from my self admitted addiction. I've also read that you can't have any coffee post op....EVER. Help me! I'm planning my surgery for December but just might lose my mind without that perfectly brewed cup of joe! While I understand no coffee during healing, is there any time when I'll be able to enjoy a hot cup of coffee again? (Don't even talk to me about decaf)

And furthermore, what about wine! One of my favorite activities is wine tasting! (Washington state has award winning wineries:)

Vets.....what's the scoop?

I drink coffee daily, not a gallon but at least a cup, often two per day. Every surgeon and program is different but mine placed no restrictions on coffee once I was 8 weeks post op.

Edited by nsquared

I have never really liked coffee. I always tell people I like a little coffee with my sugar... cause I put so much splenda in it. But I've been drinking coffee since month 2 or 3 post-op. Never had any problems with it or caffeine.

I hear you... I'm a few weeks from my surgery and absolutely scared to death. The idea of giving up coffee seems unreal to me and nearly impossible. However, I was told when on a regular diet you can have Decaf and approximate 6 months post op, I can try with caffeine!

I don't remember what my nut said about coffee....I'm sure it was something to the effect of either side (it's ok or it's not ok) Does anyone remember the reason why No coffee ever soda I get don't drink the stuff but at 7 wks out I felt the need for coffee and have been the last 2 days drinking a lite homemade pumpkin Starbucks coffee recipe I found here or on MFP. Only one cup and It's enough. I too am from WA and love me some coffee. Anyone know the reason. I guess I could call my nut tomorrow but wanna ask anyway :P

Edited by sophiepants

I haven't had any coffee, but i'm wondering if I could have things like "cappuccino" flavored shakes or or coffee mix flavored shake from Atkins or slim fast, etc... or is it too early for that even?

I have a Cappuccino every day. Actually I can really only drink half a cup so far. I go out to a coffee bar, I have several favourites, and I watch "normal" people eat huge meals. It makes me feel good. Sometimes I bike to the coffee bar! I only had to have Decaf before surgery. My Nut just told me to ask that the coffee bar use skim milk. I have become very fussy about my coffee, and my sleeve only likes certain coffee bars now! LOL.

I had to give up coffee recently after a medical emergency put me in menopause as my body and premarin didn't mesh well with caffeine. It was too much to have it so I've slowly reintroducing it as half and half so the idea of not having it post sleeve due to the chance of expanding my sleeve is daunting. It's good to hear from others that their docs see it as allowable.

I am allowed and drink coffee pretty much every day. It is a liquid so it will go through pretty easily and won't stretch the sleeve like someone earlier mentioned. It is the acid in it that is concerning. I am allowed regular but choose to drink Decaf. One I was weened from caffine due to surgery, it wasn't a big deal to go to decaf.

My NUT said I could have 1 cup of coffee per day and preferably with milk (protein) and artificial sweetener. I'm only 17 days postop so I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon.

As far as detox goes, I drank coffee every day up until the day of my surgery. I detoxed and didn't even know it while I was recovering. It wasn't bad at all. And honestly, I'm ok with not having my coffee right now. I just don't have a taste for it yet. But eventually I'm sure I'll return to it. :)

I too "was" a coffee fanatic loving it morning, noon and yes night! I could drink a nice hot cup as a night cap and go off to a heavenly slumber!

Not to sound mean in any way but the thoughts that went thru my head on my journey up to where I am at now (14 days post-op) was simply this.

1. If I couldn't give up what was obviously contributing to what made me WANT this surgery, then why bother going thru with the surgery? If I couldn't walk away from my addictions then there was no hope of success after surgery. This was a surgery that I saut out and persuid it didn't come to me insisting I had no other choice.

The fact is ... I could continue my love affair with my coffee, chips, reese cups etc doing what I always did and would continue to get the same results as I was = fat and miserable OR with this wonderful tool ... I could "sacrifice" my coffee, chips, Reese cups etc. to be the person I so desperately want to be. It's as simple as that!

I was a big coffee drinker like you, and I definitely thought twice about the surgery just for this reason alone! I went off caffeine for 2 pregnancies, but that was years ago --- and I was younger and had more energy then! I decided to detox from caffeine about 2 weeks before my pre-op diet, and it was much easier than I expected. I dosed myself with aleve round the clock for 3 days and stayed well hyrdrated. No pain at all. I do think I dulled mentally for a couple of months, but I was dealing with the surgery and all so who knows why. I do think I will eventually return to one cup a day.

My NUT said the acid in the coffee is the reason for no coffee up to 6 months post-op. She said some people can tolerate Decaf during that 6 months.

That just made me think twice!! Yikes I don't remember my Nut saying that. Had she I might have not drank it.